cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: What is your longest-lived hobby?

I am glad to find someone who also sews the dresses. I probably will not do the shorts as I feel the girls are the ones that needed the clothing. I use all the fabric in one piece and try to make the larger size dresses too. My unanswered questions have been how and can they wash these dresses and which prints are suitable for those areas? 

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Probably sewing of some nature.  I learned to sew when I was young, probably for 4H.  I did the cross-stitch, latch-hook, embroidery things for a few years too.  I have had too many cooking/baking failures to have cooking as a hobby!  I have plenty of fabric and my mother could open a fabric shop with all the fabric she has!  I will have to ask my niece about the Dresses for Africa.  She spent some time in Africa twice.  I beleive she worked in medical clinics.  Her daughter's middle name is "Binty" that is some Africa language for "baby". 

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I will have to look into the LDFA.  Maybe I could get back into sewing doing that.  Not too many critics I would hope.

DGD would love to do something like that I bet.  She grew her hair out for locks of love & will do again I'm sure.

The only thing with that is her school pictures weren't as attractive but we'll remember "that was the time she did locks of love".  Don't know where her life will lead but she is one who likes to do for others.  and herself of course.

TF, do you do all hand quilting & piecing?  I just can't seem to get the hang of machine quilting so many of my projects either don't get quilted or are pretty poor quality.  I know it takes lots of practice & I never have time for that.

Out to the garden-sun is shining & warmer and rains due again so I need to make time now.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I have hand quilted but not recently. Now I have it done for me although it isn't cheap it is well done and done quickly. It would take forever for a queen size quilt. I did hand applique a queen size one and I think it took five years to get all the pieces done but I love it now. I would take the sewing with me camping, in the car and where ever we went. Once it was an auction. I found it relaxing as I have said.

I hear it is possible to machine quilt a large one on a small machine but I don't want to find it out the hard way.

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

I have asked around a little regarding the dresses for Africa.  Amazingly, my niece that has been to Africa on two missionary trips did not know about it, but was interested.  My cousin's wife out in Colorado is in charge of an elderly community and the ladies make the dresses there too. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Little Dresses for Africa has a near website, which includes the dress pattern, how to organize a chapter, etc. they use a pillowcase pattern, which looks very simple. They explain how to size the dresses, which is by length.

I couldn't get it to copy the link when I tried, but Google the organization name. It is very easy to find.
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I googled it and the PBS series "Sewing with Nancy" has a link which she demonstrates these dresses and also has an address where you can send them to her (WI) and they will in turn send them on.  She also has the pattern I believe.

Not that far from me if I ever get my act in gear.

0 Kudos