cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

What is your wooby?

Now that we've all had some sampling of winter at last, I am starting to ball up in warmer clothing during the day, and cover up my feet and legs while I read at night.  On Wednesday, when I felt so cruddy from lack of sleep, I stayed almsot half the day in my soft short robe and slipper sox, and covered my lap with the  fluffy small purple blankie that stays on my chaise. 

That robe is actually labeled in the catalog as a "Wooby".  I remember first hearing this term in the movie "Mr. Mom"...the little boy's blanket that was eaten by the vacuum cleaner, Jaws.  I think we all know an item or two that offer us that level of comfort, even as grownups. 

If I had to pick one Wooby, it would be my purple blankie, if I can stay still, and my blue robe if I am moving around in the house.  In public, it would have to be the new felted wool hat and mittens our younger daughter gave me for Christmas this year...cashmere and merino old sweaters, recycled in these new, soft and toasty accessories.     

So, I know you have pulled it out of the closet or cedar chest by now, to make these short, shivery days and long, bonechilling nights bearable.  What's your Wooby?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Re: What is your wooby?

Probably my fleece piggy blankets!  My DS still has his "wooby" and I washed it the other day and my goodness it is just a shredded rag. I asked him what he was gonna do know and he said, I guess I just won't sleep with it!  I haven't checked the hangar I hung it on to see if it is still there.  My DD had a friend (male) that had a nylon slip of his mother's that was his "wooby".  My DD had her blankie too, but I think it is still at our house after 8 months of living away from home. 

0 Kudos
Midwest Farm
Veteran Contributor

I'm glad you enlightened me on what a "wooby" is....

The recycled cashmere and wool items are wonderful, but I have to know: did your daughter make them from the original item or is there a store where she purchased them? (I've made mittens from wool sweaters from Goodwill that I washed and shrunk as far as they could shrink, but the transition to mittens could use some help).

Back to a wooby....I don't really have one....maybe mine is my husband's blue jeans paired with a very large, very worn sweatshirt. The advantage of his jeans are that they are a couple sizes bigger than me, hence very comfortable!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I should have said, "fingerless mittens"...much simpler to execute, I am sure. 

The lady buys nice real  wool fiber sweaters at places like Goodwill, felts them, and makes really unique hats, using the materials and findings like big buttons.  She lines them with t-shirt knit, to make them soft on the skin. 

These mits were a new trial product.  I got two pair with my hat, and both fabrics were used in the hat's design.  My set is black and teal, which is one of my favorite colors.  Really cute and warm. 

In the after-Christmas email sales, I got one from Sahalie, which is who sells the Wooby (their brand( of robes and sweaters.  I sat down and found a three-button cardigan in olive ( also a color I really like...gives me green eyes when I wear it.) I have a blue robe that I've had for about a year now, and just bought a red one before Christmas, to enjoy when that one is in the wash. 

I find myself wanting to have on really soft fabrics, especially now that daughter hands off GS to me.  I don't want to scratch his delicate skin.  I think handling his wooby blankies makes me more conscious of clothing texture now.  I had him in a little blue blanket the other afternoon, and just patting his back as he fell asleep, the thing was making me warm and drowsy, too. 

0 Kudos
soilbabe
Senior Contributor

I collect 100% wool Pendleton throws and every one of them is my Wooby.  I originally bought them for "rippers" for my rugs but I couln't bring myself to do it.  So I would rescue them from antique shows and shops, have them dry cleaned and stack them in an antique cabinet.  They are soft and warm and I bring them out according to the season.  Right now I have two brown plaid ones on my favorite chair that I sniuggle up in while reading or watching TV.

0 Kudos