cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

What melts your old hard heart?

Daughter texted her Daddy at Jenna's this morning, to say Winn had spiked a fever in the night, and it wouldn't go down. They were headed to the ER. He had struggled through the norovirus for several days, last showing those nasty symptoms a week ago

Since then he had a good week, ate well, played and wore me to a nubbin, but we were already concerned that he had lost a bit of weight. This latest bout has us very worried, as they admitted him for IV fluids and antibiotics. No visitors, cultures pending....

They started the meds about two this afternoon. He " called" me about four or so, and daughter said he smiled, although he felt too crummy to say very much. At 16 months, his vocabulary isn't huge, but he gets his point across.

The phone rang again about 7:20, and it was them again. She said he had picked up her phone, handed it to her, and said, "Ma!" That's me.

His PaPa talked to him, too, and then he handed me the phone again, and I could hear that little voice saying" Ma...." I am a hot mess right this minute...melted right down in a puddle.

Asked daughter to see if the pediatrician says it is okay for me to visit in the morning. Have taxes and IRA funds to mail, and banking to do, right down the street from the hospital.

I feel the meds are knocking the whatever it is in the head, but I just want to put my eye on him, you know? Keep a good thought for Winn, will you? Got to scrape myself up off the floor, get it together now, and try to rest tonight.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: What melts your old hard heart?

That is a tough situation! I know you want to be there with him to see that he is getting better for your self. Kids can get sick so quickly and then recover quickly too. I am saying a prayer.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Thank you.

They called about seven.  Winn had picked up the phone, started punching numbers this time, and saying "Ma" again, so she called to satisfy him.  I found out he had a good night, with no return of fever. 

He has been through rounds now, and they have to have a second IV med today, about midday, then he should be released.  He is getting cranky, so that usually means better.  Still no word on what is the cause, or whether it's the same virus he had last time. 

I have to mail the tax stuff and go to the bank, and plan to stop in to see him...need stickers and bubbles. 

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

My son spent several days in the hospital at 3 months old for RSV.  His little lungs sounded like a train chugging along.  He was sent home with one of those machines that he had to have a treatment with every few hours.  Tough days....hope dear Winn feels better soon.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Remembering my DS#1 having pneumonia when he was 9 months.  He's 46 now & back then the little ones were put in a ward with several others.  Parents only allowed during visiting hours twice a day.  Then one of his "roomies" got a contagious disease & we weren't allowed at all!!  Barbaric wasn't it?!  This was in the peds unit at large hospital in Peoria.  He was in about a week & I can remember being stuck at a train crossing on the way down as a slow moving freight train passed making me late for visiting hours.  I was WILD! 

Sounds like Winn is on his way mending.  So glad.  Hope he stays on the road to recovery.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

His final IV antibiotic went in late this morning. I had to get our taxes and retirement money in the mail, then stopped at Walmart to pick up some quiet things to occupy his mind.

I got to the hospital as they were removing his alarm anklet (poor little kid was on house arrest!), in time to take everyone's lunch order to bring behind them. He ate a HUGE breakfast, so mostly fed us his lunch.

He lit up like a Christmas tree when I came in, and loved his PJ Elmo, which sings to him. I stayed for them to get through eating, and then they slipped out dress a horse's leg, which was due to be done today. We did stickers and blocks, and he never noticed they were gone outside.

They had only good things to say about his stay and the staff. Just hoping the cultures come back ASAP, so the next med will be right on track.

Thanks for the good wishes.
0 Kudos