cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: This whole thread bothers me

You still do not get it!

If you leave me something, then it is mine. I can gamble it away, give it away, or light a fire to it.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

@kraft-t wrote:

Once again logic rises to the top. Well done!

That is why it is important who you choose for executor. I think the benefactor should choose someone that will carry out his wishes to the letter. Dividing funds after he is deceased is changing the intent of the will. In such cases they often put estates into trust because some heirs cannot be trusted with the proceeds.

I don't know how people can determine whether the benefactors action is justified or not. The only evidence we have is what the author told us and her testimony is evidently enough to convict the old guy of gross incompetence or vindictiveness. People regularly get disinherited or preferential treatment from benefactors. Yet it is their property to dispose of as they wish fair or unfair.

Sometimes actions produce unexpected results. One better tread lightly if they expect to be beneficiaries of a sizable estate. However, it is their choice if the want to challenge the old man but they better be prepared for the result.

BTW I am not apt  to be vindictive toward one of my children or their spouses. But then  I haven't been pushed over the edge by some insolent twerp yet!

Just to point out Don that when I suggested sharing with the person cut out of the will it was the other people getting the money that would have to do the sharing, just to be fair to their siblings.

The estate should be divided as written.

Knowing a man who fits Cher's description of her father does allow a person to have a different view of this situation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I'm getting what don says. I've never thought of it in this manner. I am the executor for an estate (now in a trust) and had considered changing the distribution to the heirs. My thought now is that the distribution should be as stated in the will.  if the heirs vote to share their bequests in a different matter after the first will is taken care of , in the manner stated, then that would satisfy the letter of the will. On another related topic, i wish the deceased had made some provision to reimburse me for the duties as trustee. it has taken more time and trips, phone call, and hassle than they had probably expected. I guess as a relative and friend it ain't so bad.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The court in Iowa will award you a set percentage for serving as executor should you want one. And you probably deserve it.

As a executor or trustee you have the ability to say don't blame me. It's not my will or wishes. It's your dads or your moms. I'm merely working as their agent.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The trustee should always receive funds to pay for his expenses and time.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Although I have never charged back any expenses ro anyone I have tried to help, I think that you are right about fair reimbursement for expenses to the executor of the estate.
0 Kudos