cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

What was your dream job?

Watching Jack Hanna this morning, and thinking about our friend ho is the bird guru, a very similar man in many respects. To think of traveling the world to collect eggs, working to preserve and protect endangered species, is critical work.

For some reason, this triggered a memory of what I used to dream of becoming when I was a teenager. For several years, I read everything I could lay my hands on about archaeology...i can literally remember dreaming about scratching in the soil for remnants of an earlier culture.

Somehow, even though one of the universities in our region had an excellent program, and I was easily qualified for admission there, I ended up in teachers' college. I remember the specific meeting with my parents and the guidance counselor. What I don't remember is whether or not I was asked what I wanted to do for a living.

Has me thinking this morning: What was your dream job when you were growing up? Did you plan to be doing what you do today?
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Advisor

Re: What was your dream job?

Ballerina. That didn't work out.

Never planned to be working with welfare recipients or felons. Love my job.

Just got hired as an adjunct faculty member at our community college. THAT is my dream retirement job. Still pinching myself that I will be teaching Marketing this Fall Semester! If I am successful I should be able to teach there for many years, keeping me engaged and occupied after I leave full time employment. What a blessing.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That is great news, I am happy for you.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Wonderful news on the faculty assignment. So many teaching positions seem to be adjuncts now.

They are lucky to have you.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!!  sounds like a perfect match! 

I wanted to be a professional dancer.  Unrealistic; too short.  I DID dance on Broadway, in a way.  I took classes at a dance convention that was held in a hotel on Broaway-right down in the center of Times Square.  LOL  Going to NY and doing that was a big thrill.  Perfect timing as I stayed with my brother/wife when she was doing internship at NY City Hospital.  Free room!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I loved playing the piano.  Always fantasized about doing it professionally, but didn't really have the talent.

Loved working in the bank which was what I was doing when I met my husband.  Was kind of planning on doing what would have been necessary to get ahead there.

As a teen I certainly never ever thought I'd be on a farm.  Never entered my head.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I know what you mean about not thinking you would be on a farm. We built our home on Mike's family place, but he never intended to farm, when we got married. His dad's disability, not long after we married and moved back here, changed everything.

I sometimes wonder what our lives would have been like if we had opted out of taking over. It isn't like I wish it had gone differently; I think it is just a sort of " road not taken" musing. Probably why I asked this question....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Talking about roads not taken made me think of a little quote I saw in Reader's Digest.  It's by Beverly Donofrio who is a writer and essayist

"One day can change your life.  One day can ruin your life.  All life is is three or four big days that change everything."

Of course I have no idea how exact Reader's Digest is in their quotation.  But I do know she is probably referring to the night she was raped when she says one day can ruin your life.

Looking back I can see several "days" that formed my life.  Days when decisions were made that mapped the course taken or the course not taken.   I often think about what might have been if any of those decisions had gone the other way.  Fruitless exercise.  But one that is hard to avoid some days.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Not necessarily fruitless. I look at this train on of thought as helping me make decisions about my future, as well as understanding my past. There is a point in your life when pretty much anything is possible, with time and circumstances narrowing the options.

For my own needs right now, things need to get much simpler. I am not so much longing for a chance to do what I dreamed of doing, but I do need tp understand my basic nature better. I think that the dreams of youth might help do that, don't you?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't know Kay.  I certainly am not the same person at 60 that I was at 20, 30 or even 40.   And unfortunately there are some very basic things about the person I was that I do no like.  I was way way too easy going.  Way way too willing to take things as they came and did not do enough to shape my life.  I very much let my husband shape the direction of our lives.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  He has done a good job.  But I do feel I much too easily let go of some of my desires and things I felt made up a good life.  Sometimes I think I was sleepwalking through life.  Going through the motions but not fully aware of what was going on.

I feel I gave up a lot following my husband and his dream of farming.  I had a very good life, that I enjoyed very much.  I had good friendships and fellowships and what I felt was a very complete life.

It has been very hard here, building this farm.  Very lonely. And it has taken a heavy toll on our personal life.  I did not even see how isolated we were becoming putting all of our energy into this farm.  Our family was kind of an island.  And now with all the kids gone and so far away some days it is a pretty desolate island. 

I think that is why I spend as much time as I do coming to this board.  I really know no one around here that I have enough in common with to call on the phone to just visit, or drop in on in the middle of the day.  Partly because they are younger than me and still busy with kids at home or heavily involved in things that do not interest me.

0 Kudos