cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

What would you have done?

Sat. night we celebrated my Mar. birthday a little late I know.  Too much going on here.  Anyway we got to the restaurant a little after 8 p.m.-the best we could do considering our day and milking chores.  We go to this restaurant only for special occasions.  When we got there it was pretty full and after ordering and trying to settle down from our wild rush to get there we noticed a classmate & wife across the room and waved.  I was going to get up to speak to them when their food came so waited.  Shortly there after a man & woman approached their table and started talking to them.   Just after we got our food the man came over to our table & it was a classmate we hadn't seen since graduation.  He talked quite awhile while our food sat.  As soon as he went back to the other table his sister came by to talk.  DH started eating as she mainly knew me.  By the time she left my food was lukewarm and the staff was readying for the next day which made us feel rather rushed as we were the only two tables left.  We paid a pretty penny and never even enjoyed our meal.  How do you treat such a situation?  Talked to our friends at the other table the next day & she was equally upset with her cold, expensive meal.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: What would you have done?

I know it is easier said than done, but I will grab a salad at Chik-fil-A, instead of being rushed through an expensive dinner out, when time is short. We will look at each other and agree that sonething quick is a better choice when it is getting near closing time.

You cannot blame the restaurant or its staff. It sounds like the socializing with others slowed you down, and let the meal ruin.

I will not start to eat until everyone at our table is served...just my upbringing. Someone stopping to talk is not such a considerstion. I would eat and drink and converse with them, as if they were also seated and eating, at best. I certainly would not wait to eat until they stepped away to start.

Ask a question and take a bite, timing it like you would with another person at your table. It's not impolite...if anything, they should have spoken briefly, then excused themselves, for interrupting your special meal.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We would never eat out if we went with that train of thought. We were well within their serving hours; we just happened to be the last customers. I probably should have said I 'm starving, hope you don't mind if I eat while you talk. I also do not like having to look up to talk to someone. You can always think of a comeback after the fact.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Yup I would have ate and talked at the same time.  Prob. smaller bites then normal but would enjoy the food when it is hot.

S.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I know what Linda means about hindsight. If looking up is aggravating, offer an empty seat to the interlopers. Most tables for two are really tables for four. If you are feeling very hostess-y, ask if they would like to have a cup of coffee while you visit.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I think we need to reexamine the  Q O L  factor and or the  T  M  S  - hint  quality of life  and TOOO much stress --- 

0 Kudos