cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

When even your hair hurts...

...it is very difficult to get a good night's sleep. Drank tea too late in the day on Wednesday, so tossed and turned all night, resting very little.

Had to get up on time, to get the old kitty at Jenna's house to the groomer...couldàan't stand to deal with all that fur another summer. Had a long list of errands, including hauling a very heavy hamper of Winn's outgrown clothes to the resale store, getting his Easter basket stuff, supplies at Sam's, etc.

Several of my stops required a second stop...engraving shop, kids' store to pick up the cash and castoffs, back to pick up the cat. Long shopping trip for me.

Stopped by the gym on the way back to Carolina, to ride the elliptical, then a TKD class after that warmup. I literally dragged in the sack of perishables, had supper and a shower, then collapsed in my chair by nine. Woke up at 12:22, feet aching so badly, I could hardly walk to the bathroom.

This is rare for me. I am blaming it on the thirty minutes I trolled the mall, waiting for the engraving job to get done, on top of more ordinary errands. Wish I had sat down and played on DROID instead of perusing the new sporting goods store.

Tossed until well adter three, got up and took baby aspirin and rubbed on arthritis relief lotion, for the aching arches. I think I dozed off and on, until time to get up. Not very well rested this morning, and long day ahead today.

Somehow, I mashed my eyeglasses during that restless night, so they are cockeyed this morning, throwing the near correction up on one side, which is nauseating. A trip to the optician for a proper adjustment is definitely in the cards for today, after Winn heads home.

Daughter has a rare Friday load out today, so the schedule is a mess. Mike finished building and filled his sandbox yesterday, and has a few details left on the swingset and slide. Did find a sand pail and some scoops and sifters in Target yesterday.

Thinking a session in the sandbox might be restorative today. Still a load of supplies and Easter treats to unpack and put away. Right now, I am sipping an espresso shot, hoping for some caffiene inspiration, and petting one of these new cats...and my feet are still throbbing.

Not likely this dusty, dirty house will get the attention it deserves today! Do you guys get this tired and achy, just from walking in stores for a few hours, and driving a few more?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: When even your hair hurts...

No, to the walking & driving but the extra TKD & the eliptical too sounds like more than I could ever do. It would just put me over the top and I wouldn't be worth a hoot the next day.  A walk to clear my head would be my one release but maybe that was what you intended.

Since I've been trying to walk more often I have more stamina but when I'm dieting at the same time I really have to be sure I eat enough protein or I absolutely crash.  Doubt I could ever do vegetarian.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Protein! I think I hit the wall for lack of that yesterday, too!

Tried a fruit smoothie for breakfast, but forgot to add any protein powder. It was good, but I was lagging pretty quickly.

Daughter ran with me to get my eyeglasses fixed, and I added a small steak to my lunch salad. By suppertime, I had to have some lean chicken...I was just craving it!

The two bad nights straight hit me hard last night. I snuggled into my chair with an afghan and was gone by 8:30. I woke up and moved to bed about 5:30, and just woke up again, after 11 hours of sound sleep. Mike is making my second shot of espresso now, so maybe I'll get it together and get some stuff done around here today.
0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

That's me on the weekdays. I'll give you a synopsis of my typical workday. 2-3 hours on my feet moving back and forth sorting mail and then organizing into the car after sorting is finished. Then it's 5 hours of driving with many stops getting out and back in the car carrying packages that won't fit into mail boxes. On my workdays, I don't eat breakfast (big no-no, I know), no midday snack, and large supper (another no-no). When Friday comes and I'm done with the route, I'm so happy to sleep in, rest my body, and eat like normal folk, if there is something like that. So thankful I don't have to work Saturdays with the number of hours I put in during the 5 days. Many carriers work all 6 days and I know I couldn't do that now.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I don't like to eat at night anymore but usually find something to eat late afternoon. It seems to me that you need a breakfast bar or something similar to eat on your route. Or almonds. A little something to keep you going. I know mail routes are not easy.

0 Kudos

Monday through Thursday my day starts at 5:45 AM. I always (well, for the past two years, anyway!) eat breakfast. Either hot oatmeal or hot whole grain or Cascadian Farms organic granola with fat free organic milk. A banana and a cup of coffee and I am out the door by 7:00. Since I am showered and dressed by 6:15, besides breakfast I usually get something small done before I leave. Usually a load of laundry started or empty the dishwasher. Whatever needs to go to town where I work is ready to leave with me. Banking, post office, errands, and drycleaning type stuff gets done during my lunch break.

My commute is a half hour, work day begins at 7:30. Lunch is noon but I typically have a piece of fruit at 9:00. Lunch carries between fruit, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and low fat cheese.

I'm usually home by 5:00. Dinner is chicken or salmon with salad and loads of hot and cold veggies.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday I eat the same for breakfast and lunch although breakfast is later. I try to sleep in a bit on weekends. However, weekends are filled with cooking all the time consuming meals we love but don't have time to prepare during the week. Those meals form the basis for Eds lunches of yummy leftovers.

My downfall is dried dates and figs. Those are my favorite snacks for evening. I guess its better than a iceE cream right before bed!!
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

.I have also been trying to eat chicken or salmon.  Somehow I have not found a fish recipe for baked that excites me.  DH likes to go to the neighboring fish fry & the Catholic school.  It's good but the baked is sometimes dry but I try to choke it down. The deep fried is delicous, of course.  When I eat beef or pork I can tell by the full feeling that the scales will show it.  But I do feel sustained & satisfied. 

I would like to get back to eating our big meal at noon like we used to when DH worked nights.  But it just seems there are too many interuptions or the chaos of the livestock to get everyone on board.  When we do eat main meal at noon or so as we do on Sundays, we rarely have much at night.  When we milked we always ate big meal at night but then we milked & chored for 2-3 hours, working it off.  Now we go to the LR and sack out.  Not healthy.

When you are really busy working a job, etc. it's easier to go without a meal at noon.  Mind over matter?  But I usually crash later when I do that & am never satisified with what I put in my mouth at that point.  I could eat everything in the house & not be satisfied.

0 Kudos

I had the same problem with baked fish until I found this recipe....I buy cod loins NOT filets. Much thicker and stay moist during baking.

I spray the baking dish with Pam. Crush reduced fat Ritz crackers....dip fish into fat free milk, roll in Ritz crumbs, spray lightly with Pam, and bake until flakes easily. Even Ed will eat it!
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I tend to think it is more of a genic thing. I grew up when farmers had the large meal at noon and I still like that. DH did not have that experience and is a night person. He doesn't like to eat until all his work is finished and that was sometimes very late while he worked in town. I like to go to bed early. DH can easily go without a meal or even skip two but not me. I just need food at meal times to function.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Mike's family always took a break to rest, after a big noon meal. It shocked me to see grownups lay down to sleep in the middle of the day.

My crowd went straight back to the field, usually after a sandwich and tons of sweet tea. If there were cold leftovers from the big supper the night before, they would be served, too.

His relatives lived a lot longer than mine have managed to do.

I used to skip a lot of meals, especially breakfast. Can't do that as easily now.
0 Kudos