cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hubertsieve
Friend

Window treatment

Hallo,

i need new window treatment for the bedroom.

What are you ladies have?

Blinds,Shades,Poller shades,curtains etc.

What do you like or would change or not by again>.

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Advisor

Re: Window treatment

Both my husband and I have problems dealing with dust, so I've done away with fabrics in bedroom windows...no curtains or shades. 

We have one window treatment that is an old sash fitted with stained glass panes, screwed into the frame at the bottom, with a stained glass panel that matches it hanging at the top.  The other window does not need a privacy panel, so it's just the open frame. 

Both have sliding wooden panels that are old board-and-batten doors, which are hung on barn door runners.  We can slide them shut to darken the room, or give it total privacy.  I love rustic, salvaged stuff in our home. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

We have an old home with very tall ceilings, thus very tall windows.  In bedrooms, I prefer sheer panels on a decorative rod.  Then I drape some additional sheers over the rod to create kind of a swag.  They come off easily, wash easily and don't hold dust as much as heavy draperies.  The sheers provide privacy without blocking the light.  I love bright sunny rooms. 

Someone mentioned being able to darken the room for sleeping but this second floor room is up so high that traffic lights are not a problem and out in the country, light (unless it is the moon) is not a problem.  We are always up before daylight so morning sunlight doesn't bother us either.

The only negative to this treatment that I can think of is the lack of insulating qualities for the winter and they do not keep out the sun in the summer.  So I am sure there would be much better choices for energy efficiency.  However....

I can't think of anything more peaceful or restful than lying in bed watching sheer white curtains blow gently in a breeze on a warm spring day....NOW if we could just GET one! 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

LA, Mike spent so many years working odd hours on the railroad, I had to be able to darken a room so her could sleep in daylight sometimes.  Sometimes, they would call him in every other eight hours for weeks on end.  You have to be able to sleep when you can on that kind of schedule. 

Our SIL is on a swing shift of 12-hour shifts, I think it's three one week and four the next, or something like that...and it's seven-to-seven, either way it goes.  He was having real trouble gettign to sleep in daytime. 

I ordered a set of blackout roller shades to use in their bedroom.  They do not look any different from a regular shade, but when you pull them down, it's DARK! 

Window treatments have to be figured from function first, I think.  Like you said, if you need insulation, that is important to comfort and saving living costs.  You want filtered privacy, but adore the light. 

I needed a privacy panel, to keep people from looking right straight into our windows.  I had hired a creepy neighbor teenager, to help a bit when we first moved here and were working on this place.  He told me one day he could see "all the way through your house when I look through the window."   We phased him out fast, and covered up the first-story openings.  Still creeps me out, when I think about it. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Anything you can do to simulate nightime conditions helps a swing shift of third shift worker.....I just heard again the other day how disruptive it is to work in conflict with ones natural body rhythms. 

I am such a creature of habit that I would not function very well trying to work at night....I am out by 10 and up by 6 like clockwork...still have a few sleepless nights but my sleep and wake times remain the same...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Lived weird hours and days off with Mike on railroad for 23 years.  It ruined my health, trying to stay on the kids' school schedule, and spend time with him, too. 

I blame lack of sleep a lot for my diabetes and weight problems.  Science supports this sentiment. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have just plain curtains, not drapes. I am looking into the new blinds, that are suppose to help insulate also. I love the wood blinds, I have them in the kitchen but really hated to spend the money in the bedroom.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

DH worked swing shift at the steel mill for years until he got out in the receiving yard where there were just 2 other guys.  They all picked the shift they liked & stuck there with no management problems.  He liked the 4-12 shift because he could get chores done before he left.  He sometimes thinks he got more done when he had a job.

The midnight shift was the worse plus he would get only one weekend a month off-never the same days off during the week.  I swear they were trying to kill them off.  I'd always have to stay up & wake him up to leave on the midnight shift then get up with the kids in the morning.

Not a good way to live.  I think in some countries it's against the law.

0 Kudos