cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Windows covered or uncovered?

Do you cover your windows or do you like the light to shine through?  I have curtains, but would rather have the windows uncovered to see out.  I love sun.  Our house is fairly close to the road on the north side so I have lace curtains on that side.  I have been trying to find some curtains to replace the ones I have had for at least 25 years in our bedroom!  They aren't falling apart or anything, I would just like to have a tier of the bottom half and a valance or swag over the top so I can have some light come in.  One of our windows in our living room catches the afternoon sunlight pretty good, so we have a drape that can be pulled back.  Have a few blinds scattered through the house, but not real hept on them either.  Just wondering what ya'll have and prefer.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Windows covered or uncovered?

It depends. Privacy is the driving factor.

Here in NC, our living spaces are set inside two outer hallways, which were originally porches along each side of the rear wing. Someone looking in on the driveway side could only see our pantry shelving. The one small spot where I was concerned about the bedroom window that overlooked that area I solved with an old sash, fitted with panes of stained glass that picked up the bedroom color scheme. Window into dining room facing that hall's entrance is a stained glass panel.

The big bath/sauna/laundry room was ordered with frosted glass on the one window anyone could see through, and the rest are glass block rectangles near the ceiling, to provide natural light.

Family room window looking out onto screened- in porch, which anyone could look into standing or sitting out there, has a grass roll- down shade with pretty silk silk panels for color. A full-view door in one side has stained glass mounted inside the glass, and the lite panel in the front door is bevels and textured clear leaded glass.

Mike's office door and my office doors are nine-lite doors, and all have those pleated linen shades encased in.glass.

The rest of the windows face fields or larger expanses of our yard. I have them totally uncovered. The one window I need to get back to here is a bog one between the kitchen and the back woodstove kitchen. I have done the pattern for a big stained glass panel, to be set into an antique dresser's mirror frame. It will be mounted on the kitchen side, on top of the peninsula. Jut id not get to it last year...maybe this summer.

We are a quarter-mile from anyone here, have a lot of bushes, trees, buildings, etc., that break sight-lines. At Jenna's the neighbors in our closest rental house are too close, even though our home is a mile from the road, the windows have to have cover.

On the side towards them and the cross windows in both bedrooms, I installed white cellular shades. Some R- value there. Over them, I did various toppers. The dining room has some nice ones I sewed out of good fabric. In one bedroom, i used big scarves I
found on clearance at Christmas to make small swags. In our bedroom, I actually bought two belly dancing scarves, which were bright purple with rows of silver beads and " coins". They were scalloped, and are cute as a button, I think.

In the kitchen, I kept Jenna's valance, and put a pink ribbon garden flag on a tension rod, which covers the bottom three of four rows of lites. She had some nice wooden Roman shades bought for the back porch's narrow windows, and they really handle the very bright sun out there.

One bedroom window has, in addition to the shade and swag,a big glass panel I did for here, which we leave showing once we get up and raise the shade every morning. It would be enough for privacy by itself.

Having glass to utilize in windows has turned out to be one of my favorite. Ways to get light without sacrificing privacy.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I'm a lot like you Ruby in that I like the sun & also a country look.  But we live on a very busy road & I fight the same problem.  In the LR-there are sheers set in the casings because BIL did such a beautiful job on the woodwork I hated to cover it.  And topped with a country plaid valance to match the border.

Upstairs in BRs I have roller shades & tie back curtains.  It's OK but when you pull the shades (I rarely do-but company does) they pull the tie backs off.  the shades have really begun to fall apart & I always got them through Penneys who no longer carry that style so I'm thinking.

My problem is in the DR.  BIG window with the two that raise up on the sides.  this is a replacement window.  Right now I have a lace panel over each side window & two in the center that are tied back.  I have these on tension rods inside casing.  Problem is privacy here.  Really need a shade but the way the inside of the window casing is I can't figure out how to do it.  Whe we have a light on you can see right into the DR & kitchen.  If we lived farther out in the country there would be no problem.  Kitchen is just valances. 

0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

I have curtains on all my windows.  The road is a few feet from the front of my house.  However,  it is a dead end road.   The curtains are lined pulled back with a valance.  I only close those curtains in the summer to keep the heat out.   There are no shades in my house.   Rest of the house  the curtains can be pulled shut if privacy or darkness is needed.  

I grew up in a big old farm house 1/4 mile from the road.   Nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile away.    And the house was surrounded by big old shade trees.   I had no idea what it was like to need to close the curtains.   Moving to college  I was lucky that my 8th floor  window faced, the park  2 years and married housing the other 2 years.  I had a hard time remembering to close those curtains and so did my farm girl roomates.   I did learn the summer quarter I lived on the 2nd floor right above the main entrance.   

We just try to be aware of when the school bus goes by... 7:20 am.  and try to keep our dressing to the bedrooms away from the livingroom/front of the house. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I grew up right on the road, and I think that is part of why I dislike curtains as much as I do. Funny how such factors shape your style.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I had a decorating business twenty five years ago and at that time put mini blinds in the bedroom, upstairs rooms and in my office.  I like the mini blinds to keep out the heat and cold and at night in the bedroom for privacy. The bath room has the wooden 1 inch blinds which I also like.  The living room has insulated draperies to keep out the heat and cold. They are not very old but last summer's heat about ruined the insulation on them.  We leave them open except in extreme weather.  I like plenty of sunlight too.

The renters on our property never turn on lights and always keep the blinds shut. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

After what we went through with renters last year, I am telling you, I'd be scheduling an inspection visit with that bunch!!!

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

That was what we had wanted to do but the broken leg prevent it. Must get it rescheduled soon.

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

not a single thing on any window in the house.  Need to do something with some of them but don't really like anything I ever see.  Tend to put it off because I feel like curtains tend to make the room seem smaller.  Love the sunshine and being able to see out.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It doesn't surprise me that you want openness in your windows,when you describe feeling cramped inside your rooms, with furniture that feels too big. Being able to look out, even passively, makes the space beyond the glass feel like the outside is connected to the inside, I think.

It used to be that people had to have some sort of window covering, to prevent everything inside from fading. Now, with gases in them and coatings on them, windows alone can control a lot of UV damage. Can also help the curtains you choose last a lo longer, too. I remember some light cotton ones getting really flimsy in a hurry....
0 Kudos