cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Women in Ag conferences

'Tis the season for women in ag conferences ... who's planning on going, and to which conferences? I really enjoyed the one in Kearney, NE, a few years ago. These events offer opportunities to learn about so many different things, from gardening to marketing, but the best part may be just meeting other women like ourselves.

So ... who's going, and where?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Women in Ag conferences

I'd love to go to one-never been-but I haven't seen any in IL. (they don't seem to ever recognize women in ag here) or any in eastern IA.  Could even make it to WI if around Madison.  I started out to one in Quad Cities last yr. & realised I was coming down w/the flu while driving there.  Turned around & came home.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

They are a lot of fun and educational to boot. You learn not just from the conferences themselves, but from interacting with other women. Agriculture is still a male dominated business. Making the seminars gender oriented reduces the pressure of "keeping quiet and looking pretty." We can be as smart and aggressive business leaders as the men if given the chance. Getting away from their bad habits is worth the cost.

The one in NE used to be during the same week as the Husker Harvest Days in September. Moving it to the winter has its advantages (down time for crop producers) and disadvantages (weather). Ours comes out of the UNL AgEconomics program. Maybe you can check for one in your state at one of its university websites.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

With the hogs gone I hope to go with several women from the Little York Area next year.   The Eastern Iowa one was in Bettendorf last week,  I think.    Illinois Pork Expo is tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I went to the Women in Ag conference a few years ago.  Met some wonderful people.  I still see some of them at county fair, etc.  Its nice to have the connection, like we have here.  The ones they have had lately around here, I haven't found the break out sessions descriptions very intersting to me.  Maybe duplicate of the past, maybe not my interests, maybe over my head.  We aren't very big farmers, so I am not into the broad spectrum of things.  I need some down to basic's sessions. Not really into the governmental issues, or the organic way of living. 

To describe us women here:

We are down to earth, farm women who will chase cows in her good clothes if she needs to, hold supper for hours or take it to the field.  We will drop whatever we are doing to go pull a calf or help on the farm or run after parts.  We work with our husband side by side and hope the farm books we work on endlessly come out ok for tax purposes

I know the Kay really works closely with all the government stuff and that would be of interest to her, Maybe half of the break out sessions ought to be into the real serious side of stuff, but I need easy to digest material for a Women in Ag break out session and maybe a spa!

0 Kudos