cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Wonder what will break today?

In 2 days:  the combine head wouldn't raise,  7420  tractor  wouldn't go,  4020  wouldn't start,   needed to parts for the crop sprayer.   Poor Tom hasn't been able to get much done for  "puttin'  out fires".     His  Brothers, sisters and several others showing up at the farm this week and weekend.   New electric range was delivered yesterday  but,  no time to put in the outlet.    Still have to spray the Japanese Beetles.  The fruit trees are now covered with brown leaves.   At least one soybean field has yield potential hurt.  

We would hire more work done if the help was available.    At least as of right now... everything that was broke is fixed.   Now.. to go KILL some beetles. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Wonder what will break today?

It is a mystery to me when every thing comes at once. Do we give off bad vibes when we have so much to do or what?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I blame it on the gremlins that inhabit this place.  Every now and then they become really active and give us headaches for a few days.  Then they'll rest for a while and come back to play another day.

A sense of humor really helps on those "gremlin days".

But the biggest boss "gremlin" never takes a break around here.  It is his mission to make every day just as difficult as he can.  You twist and turn and run and jump but  can never get away from him.  I zig he zags and then goes off when my zig doesn't perfectly match his zag.

Oh well he is my cross to bear.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Wed  was a good day.   Got some wheat combined,  got some soybeans sprayed for beetles.   Nothing broke... although I was worried everytime I saw the combine stopped.   More family due tomorrow.  

Ainsley is walking.   She's just shy of 10 months.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sounds like a pretty typical rough patch of country road. Everything breaks when you need it most, right?

What I try to think of, when we have one f those spells, is the many days that things go right, or at least almost-right. You are in good hands, if Tom got that much repaired in a day.

I saw your photos of the Japanese beetles on the fruit trees....YIKES!!!!! We are fighting mosquitos in swarms right now...good year to be a bug, I guess!

We got enough rain yesterday to prevent Mike from pumping lagoons today. Winn is with his other Gma today. We are on our way to Va, to see what the guys have gotten done there, since I handed out materials and a couple of new design orders on Tuesday. It is getting down mostly to moving boulders and repairing tin roofs, after this week. Hot work for summertime, so some of it may get shifted into fall.

The HVAC guy is finally ready to come tomorrow - had to get time off from his main job - to start up our new AC at Jenna's house. Hoping we get a drier July than June, so we can get ahead on waste management, and have a chance off to stay there overnight again soon.

Hope that your family reunion goes smoothly. I know you are looking forward to what food will be packed in this time!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You know, we joke about evil spirits sometimes, too. When you look at it, though, it is a wonder so many things go right.

Most families have a house they struggle to keep in good repair, and many of them are away at office jobs, kids in school, most of almost every day. We are constantly putting demands on our homes, ourselves, by being there for almost every meal, tracking in dirt, doing more laundry in a day than some families do in a week. Is it any wonder we wear out our stuff - and ourselves - that much faster, too?

Throw in a working farm of any type, and you have literally tens of thousands of moving parts to buy, maintain, and repair. We have 12,000 or more pigs fiddling with feeders, waterers and penning material every day...something HAS to break every so often. Baling equipment is designed by drunks, I think...improbable elements of timing and meshing of metal parts. One rock n the wrong spot, and you are toasted for a day or two.

We throw the equivalent of eight more houses, with office, store, and employee and rental residence, into the mix. It can be smooth sailing for months on end, then make me nuts in a matter of minutes.

It is the life we chose, isn't it?
0 Kudos