cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Woohoo!!!

I finally found a woolen mill that will wash and recard my wool quilts so that I can get them requilted.  It's going to run me $4.95/# plus $30 for additional fees but I will get both washed, recarded, and cheeseclothed (I know terrible grammar) so that I can eventually get new quilts made out of them.  My quilts are made with bed sheets and fairly easy or so my mom says who will be doing the quilting because the good Lord knows that's just not me in any way shape or form.  I've found that the wool comforter is comfortable in both the summer months and the winter months. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Advisor

Re: Woohoo!!!

Always great when you have success.   When I first  saw the Woohoo!!!   I was wondering if you had decided on a house plan? 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Great you found a company to restore things that make you that happy. Nothing beats natural fibers for real comfort.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Can you tell me what company you found & where it is?  I had some quilt batts done at 2 different places and the first ones had a lot of thin spots in them & I had to double them.  The next place did a good job on the carding & making the batts but they could only make a small width which would have to be sewn together to make even a twin. 

I'd like mine to be redone & put in cheesecloth also.  How thick are you getting yours?  Is you mom handquilting them? 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That sounds great and probably a bargain for all that you are getting done!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I thought the same as Suey...thought it was something to do with a new house!  didn't know you could do anything with wool quilts.  Not sure I have any, but do have some old ones that i scavged fromt the attic when the in-laws moved out!  i love old quilts.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This can be so much fun, especially when restoring a treasure is on something you have used and enjoyed for a lifetime. It is sort of rare, I would think, to have and actually use textiles until they need to be reworked.

Linens are almost treated as thriwaways these days. We forget that quilts were originally a lot about saving and reusing every precious scrap.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I should have explained some more but 1 of these battings I've had since I was a little girl.  It is from the orginal quilt my mom made me.  They are not hand sewn but hand tied.  I usually pick out what coverings I want and mom gets them done up for me.  I switch it up every few years because with the dogs the coverings take a beating.  I have a full size and a king size because I don't use dust ruffles.  I actually use the full size to snuggle up in on the couch during the winter because it's so warm.  The company I'm using is https://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/ because they will wash, recard, and put into cheese cloth my bats but they do not process raw wool anymore.  I'm going this route because hubby gets over there at least once a month so he can take them and drop them off and pick up for me.  The company that my mom uses is http://www.woolenmill.com/ and they do a great job as well but this company is closer to me and a tad cheaper from what I gather in my conversations between the two. 

As for the house plans we have what we want drawn up we are now waiting on the bank.  We are looking at a rancher on crawl space roughly 2000 sq. ft with the kitchen, laundry, living and dining on one end.  The bedrooms in the middle (3 plus the main bath) and a family room on the end or in this case Todd's man cave.  The floorplan was the easy part!!!!  I'm so sick of banks and hoops right now.  We prequalify for over $500K to go BUY a new house but our building number comes in at $300K (includes dirt work, tree removal, septic ect) and it's a nightmare.  Our acutal number comes in at $265K but we had to add for incidentals.  I really need to win the lottery or find an investor to loan me the $$ to get it done.  The sad part is we aren't even going "fancy" with anything and this is still the number we are coming in at. 

0 Kudos