cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Wrong side out?

Kraft-t's post this morning reminds me that I have developed a few pet peeves over a long lifetime of keeping house and making a home.  Most - if not all - of these issues bug me because they violate the basic principle of "many hands make light work." 

When the kids were all young, I tried to teach them that if we all pitched in, everyone had more time to have fun.  One day, when they wanted to do something outdoors and the house was a wreck, I had them all sit and time me picking up their toys and other detritus.  Then I scattered everything out, and timed it as we picked up together. 

Of course, four sets of hands made it so much quicker.  Even a fairly tiny kid could see the difference.   I didn't have to ask for as much help from then on...and if I did, I'd just say, "This job needs more hands." 

I reflected back on this this morning, while folding some laundry.  I hadn't realized it consciously, I suppose; but, I have always put my clothing into the hamper right side out.  Don't remember being taught to do this, but I know it really makes handling the wash SO much faster. 

Either Mike was trained the same way, or I've asked him to do this somewhere in our lifetime together...anyway, I was folding our daughter's workclothes, which I wash because she changes out and showers here at the farm.  I suddenly realized that I was taking five times as long with almost every piece of her stuff, because almost every one was wrong side out.  Guess I missed a beat on her training....

Anyway, it set me to thinking about the things that people you love and live with could do, to help lighten your load, if they would all just use their own hands (and heads), instead of yours.  Some of this, of course, depends upon you setting things up and communicating to them what they need to do. 

For example, at my house, this means the dishwasher is emptied of clean dishes every morning, so no one has an excuse for leaving a dirty glass or dish in the sink.  The laundry room has a sorter with a system, so no way do you mix workclothes with good clothes.  Your nasty boots don't need to come all the ways inside, because there is a whole back room with a nice chair for you to sit in while you remove them. 

I guess I am partly into this mindset today, from being at Jenna's house yesterday.  I always joked that his mother made him and his father hang up their dirty clothes on nails on the basement beams, right near her washer.  Now, I understand why that worked for her there. 

Maybe it's having Mike and our helper staying in Jenna's house this weekend, and seeing what was left behind for me to do when they left...and realizing some good patterns need to be set right from the start.  I am just contemplating the housework here this morning, some bookwork this afternoon, and thinking that there are ways I need to improve on doing both. 

Has me thinking about what other habits we need to change or establish, not just in the houses, but on the farms.  How can we better use many hands (and heads) to lighten our work? 

Have any good suggestions, or some thoughts about how you can better do this, too? 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Re: Wrong side out?

I turn my clothes inside out before I wash them so they don't fade. Darker clothes seem to keep their color longer than right side out method. Maybe your daughter is using that theory for her household clothing and extended to her work clothes? One method isn't necessarily better than the other. It just takes more time for the person to change when trained for so long a specific one when a different way is presented. Key word, "flexibility."

0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

I want my DH to throw something away.   He will bring in a list from outside.    Order the part  and then leave the list...sometimes on a 2x4 in his pile.   Can I pitch the list?   Does it need to be checked with what is delivered?   Did he order everything?   Junk mail.  He might set it in the middle of the countertop  which might mean  I'm done and you can pitch.   His  "pile"  is full of envelopes  many of them empty.   If a shirt has one button left , torn shirt tail,  ripped sleeve,  would he throw it away???  NO.   E-mails have to be copied off for him,  The Daily market newletter that shows up by e-mail.    Tags off of clothing,  just shoves them in his dresser drawers.   Watches.   He has a Gallon ziplock bag full of wristwatches.   some need new batteries,  some need new bands,  some are totally broken... but... we store because one of them might have a part that he needs to fix another one.  

My DS  has been away too long.   He keeps putting glass and AL cans in the trash.  We have saved AL  cans since he was born.  We are going to have a talk. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

My suggestion? Kay, maybe you should think about writing a book with all these ideas to make life easier.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You know, I read a lot of organization books and aritlces, and try to absorb something useful from each one.  If I were to write a book, I'd feel that i would somehow plagiarize ideas that someone else had actually invented. 

I am starting to feel about organization as I am evolving to feel about estate planning.  This came from a discussion on the Farm Business page a week or so ago...  I have tried for many years now to make a plan for both purposes, that I felt would be the "once and for all" layout.  Why that is, I cannot say. 

Jim Meade brought up the notion there that an estate plan could be made that is just "good enough for now."  It isn't that expensive to make changes in a good plan, such as  which property goes where...the cost is negligible.  Similarly, it isn't all that much of a big deal to alter the way you organize things:paperwork, inventories, etc. 

I am sure I will probably always keep my Ugly Oragne Binders for each year.  I just don't need ot resolve where I shoudl put everything I need in my office - mostly because what's in there changes fairly often, with technology updates, communications shifting to electronic channels, instead of paper, etc. 

For example, I don't send and receive ten faxes a year anymore...daughter does a few for Coggins for horses going to shows and trail rides, but that is about it.  Yet, the fax machine is taking up a lot of office turf...that could change.  We don't need a dedicated and greatly accessible fax area anymore. 

The printer doesn't need to be anywhere near the computer now, with our little wireless network.  Someday, we won't need the satellite boxes for the Internet either (can't WAIT for that one!)...I could actually do away with them now. 

I am thus thinking that I need to just arrange our things as well as they need to be for today, and not worry so much about ten years from now.  Anything that simple doesn't make for much of a book. 

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Suey, I hear you loud & clear.  We save AL cans too & also take off the tabs for Ronald McDonald house.  (my kids stayed there when DGD was in hospital-great place) However, they sit them on the counter by the door and NEVER take them to the garage where they are saved.  I haven't had any pop for years, yet I'm the one trotting out to the garage to free my precious counter space.  Ditto for the milk & juice plastic jugs.

Newspapers seem to be stored on the kitchen table in the empty space.  When someone comes, the guys move to my clean dining room table where it junks up one more place.

And I love when I have to find a manual for machinery parts only to have the thing lay on the counter.  "Are you finished?  Did you order this part or what?  Do you need the instructions for putting it together?"

Socks-hate those inside out, filled with hay so you have it everywhere when you pull them out.

And DS never seems to find the hamper for chore clothes only.  Much easier to drop in front of the washer! 

Lastly, if I put their clean, folded laundry on the steps to be taken up they'll walk right by with blinders on for a week.  Yes, we need to talk here too.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

By the time an article of clothing is reduced to workclothes status here,. it is already stained, faded, or not fit in some other way to be worn out in public.  This is not a matter of making a decision...a lot of things are half-in/half-out side out in the hamper. 

The way I handle it is to fold things the way they are left...if wrong side out, that is how I will return them...clean and dry, neatly folded, just wrong side out.  Half in and out is less of a breeze, so I usually turn them right, and fold.  Those are the ones that really irk me the most. 

I know it's a small issue,and won't make a stink about it.  I am just not taking five times as long to do a job anymore. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

We recycle as much as we can here too and I hate finding cans in the trash. I could be saving the tabs but how do I get them to RMcD group? (some here drink sodas)

Have you heard of collecting plastic caps to be made into benches or tables for schools?

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Heck I would be happy if Todd would just buy a gallon of milk sometimes....anything else is just about impossible.  However, I have gotten him to bring down his dirty clothes for washing...now if he would grab the ones in the bathroom along with the bedroom instead of me having to go up and get them....I would feel like I'm making more progress. 

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Turkey-you can drop them at McDonalds I believe. We drop at the McDonalds House when go for hospital checkups. Don't know about plastic caps. Our school collects box tops & soup labels.
0 Kudos