cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

You may win a prize: How many mice...

...do you think can spend the winter in an 8X12 foot insulated shed with 100 pounds of dog food stored? 

I am not sure, but it was a LOT! 

Mike had been stashing the spare bags of dog food in the pool's pump/storage house since last fall and was not evidently baiting there.  He mentioned that there might have been "some mice" in there a while back, but I was so occupied with school, it didn't hit my radar as a real problem.  I think I asked him to move the food to the kennel, since it's stored out there now. 

As the kids say on text...OMG!  If I knew how many mouse droppings each average mouse leaves a day, and divide by how long it has been since I'd been in there and it was spotless, I could give you some sort of estimate.  Right now, I am feeling Carl Sagan's cosmic "billions and billions" is about right.  

I have found only one carcass...probably the unfortunate mousy soul squashed by the weight of the rest of the population!  It appeared to be a violent death. 

They found some insulation somewhere, and had made a real cushy life for themselves.  Heck, my sweet husband had even heated the space with a milkhouse heater when it got bitter cold, so the pipes wouldn't freeze. 

Mouse heaven.  My little slice of Hell this afternoon. 

I'm fortunately wearing a good dust mask and gloves. .There's plenty of time before dark...and there are lights out there now, since I got the electrician to re-route some wiring last spring...but my shop vac needed a break! 

So, if you have any idea how many mice my husband sheltered, fed and kept warm this winter, write your guess on a slip of paper, and store it in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall's front porch. 

You may win a prize! 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: You may win a prize: How many mice...

I have not seen any mice for a long time but DH saw one a couple of weeks ago and put out some bait. Our dog is now ill and we think he found the bait. We have had him a long time and doubt he survives.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I am sorry that your dog is not doing well.  Farm dogs have a way of gettign into trouble, no matter how careful we try to be.  

Worrying that the dogs will get into bait is probably why Mike is so hesitant to put out blocks.  I finally had to insist on the house having some down. I despise to be watching TV at night, and have one scutter across the floor. 

His stray, Suzie Q, pooped some bright green evidence week before last, but showed no ill effects.   I think we will be using more traps and less bait, at least until she gets past her puppy phase. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My wild guess will be 155 mice.   Hopefully,  no rats found their way too.    We only use bait chunks in bait stations.   We had to switch to using bait stations after we probably used more than a pail of bait and ended up killing ONE raccoon.   Raccons can eat a lot of bait before dying.    We thought we must have a lot of rodents since the bait was disappearing every day.  So we kept baiting.    We don't use the pellet packs because the mice just use the packaging to make a nest.     We use a rotation of:   Hawk,  Jaguar and Rampage.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We made our own little bait stations (out of wood and nails) and keep them where the cats and dog can't get to them. One time, we would have to refill one station every 5 minutes because there were so many famished rats. If you don't keep on top of them, you'll really be surprised when you start.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

How many pounds of dog food do you have left? I hope both bags aren't empty. I would start cleaning up before dark. The rodents are more active after dusk. Wouldn't want a suprise friend startling you. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Advisor

My uncle used to always say that for every rat you see, you hav fiifty more you don't.  When I went back to work, I found one more crunchy one, so those two total would make 100.  If I find one more, Suey will be really close on her estimate. 

I got the floor and all of the shelves vac'd off, and sucked as much ick as I could out of the open-fronted bins where I store my electrical and plumbing parts, some paintbrushes and such.  Will have to pull them all out adnd really clean them, and wash them, when I have more time and it's a bit warmer.  Do not like to use the hose and get spritzed in this kind of wind. 

I took down the curtain (one of those yard flags on a magnetic rod) and brought it inside to wash.  Need to bring in all of the others I have hanging on racks out there, to freshen them up.  Forgot them this afternoon.  I got sidetracked assembling a nice hammock stand that was stashed out there. 

Once the boys finished the deck around the pool, I really wanted to put new seating out there.  The hammock will be great at one sunny end, but we had robbed the chains out of the box for the porch one, so I need to remedy that tomorrow.    There is a nice set of two chaises and a chair in the yard that I never use where they are sitting, so I think I'll move them out onto the deck, too. 

We actually buy 200 pounds of dogfood at once, but they moved when the storage stopped, it seems.  Not a live one anywhere today.  I figured out it was not insulation, but my cotton lint fuel for the bee smoker that they'd really had a ball with, so that was my fault for not sealing it up in a container that was mouseproof. 

Got everything back inside that didn't go into the Supercan...and it was full to the brim.  As our "warm" storage due to the water pump and tank, this place gets the sheep drench and backpack sprayer and such things we do not want to freeze and burst. 

Mike told me had put my 30-gallon sprayer for the golf cart in there, too, but it is MIA, and he cannot remember where it went.  Hope it was somewhere warm enough all winter.  Hoping daughter will know in the morning. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay, you have bees? My DH has lots of trouble with his smoker. He uses pine needles and packs them in but it usually goes out. Will dryer lint work better?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I have no idea but I know of a great farm cat that could help you out.  Her only problem is she likes to show off her talents and leave partial bodies at the front door for us but we do right by her and praise her for her good mousing capabilities.  The really good thing is she isn't very prolific or she's just a really bad mother and we haven't found any babies.  Either way a great mouser and snake killer when she sets her mind to it.

0 Kudos
Advisor

A few.  I use this smoker fuel which is basically cotton lint.  Pine needles are unreliable to me...I use them if I need more fuel and am almost through for that pass at the hives.

You might suggest that he try with some collected dryer lint...I'd never thought of that.  I'd give it a dry run before opening hives using it, though.  Bad mojo to run out partway through!

0 Kudos