cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You would never know

Lookng out the car window today that we had our first taste off winter yesterday.  Sunshine so bright it hurts your eyes...not a snowflake lingering, even on shady ditchbanks.

This is probably the biggest difference in our winters, and what most of you endure.  It is rare to have snow stick around for long.  We can have a foot fall today, and barely enough hanging around to make a snowman tomorrow. 

Made me wonder: What's the longest amount of time you recall having snow lying around? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: You would never know

I am not sure of the year and this will sound strange in today's world of spraying the roads before a snow or ice and seeing the county trucks out when there is nothing for them to do. In the 60's we spent a sunny warm New Year's day cutting up an old dead tree. Eating hot dogs cooked over the trees scraps. Jan 1st it snowed and the cold and snow and ice lasted until Feb.. We live near a highway and the road had over one inch of thick clear ice that remained the entire month. School was out until February.  My DH went to work in town and I remember that he took me grocery shopping once near the end of the month. I don't know what the county roads were like but there was no way the buses could run.  The school year was just short that year. The neighborhood kids used their sleds on our small hill that year and enjoyed a long  Christmas break.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

One year, I found snow on the ground on June 1st.   We had a big snow, with a big wind, and the drifts were so deep, it took until sometime into June, before the last bit of it (in a shady bottom sheltered from the wind)  was gone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

One year when I was teaching and all three kids were in school, we had only one day the whole month of December, I think.  We lived like heathens, playing in the snow, sledding, just wild fun.  It is one of the best spells of our life, in my memory.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I think it was the winter of 78/79. I was farming and working at winnebago. It was a very nice warm fall. It started snowing  second week  of nov. and didn't leave 'til 3rd week of april. Lots of snow and drifting. Gravel roads were one lane when they were opened. First daughter was born the fall of '79! 

0 Kudos