cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

a different subject for here

Just read another story about the police turning their backs in disrepect at that police funeral today.

I find this very troubling and probably very telling about the problems facing law enforcement right now.

I find it so disturbing that (as I see it) no one is really verbalizing the problems and no one is coming forth with any positive actions or ideas.

I think there are valid positions on both sides. 

I do think law enforcement profiles and acts on it.  In all communities;  not just black/white.

But I don't hear any one saying anything along the lines that the individuals that all this mess started with were actually behaving in a manner that brought them to the attention of law enforcement, and any responsibility being laid in that direction.

This whole mess kind of scares me.

Then there was the lady killed by her on child with her own gun in Walmart.

Makes you almost not want to go any where because you never know when there will be some one with a gun that isn't responsible enough to have it.  Even a lapse in judgement of just a couple of minutes like that poor lady can be tragic.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: a different subject for here

I had purposely not stirred this pot, because I think sometimes, people think I am extreme...funny, but some think extremely consrrvative, others extremely liberal. You did a good job of making a middle podition for a conversation starter.

I am getting posts about a Blue Light thing this week...evidently, you put a blue bulb in the porchlight, to inducate solidarity with police forces. Actually to the point that some friends are chasing down blue bulbs by delivery dates at various stores. We are so far from the road, no one really sees our lights enough to bother.

I wonder if this will stir up negative activity...in some areas, I think there is that potential. In the case of the backs turned at the mayor...he stirred anti-ploice sebpntiments, which are blamed fir the two men murdered in NYC in their patrol car.

I am seeing Twitter posts and such copied, calling for " two cops a day"... And that killer posted so ewhere about " making pigs fly". Honestly, the more of this type of "retribution" there is, the more reactionary I think law enforcement persons will necessarily become.

My phrase for this problem is that they are " damned of they do, and dead if they don't" draw down pretty quickly. I blame people like Al Sharpton, that mouthy mayor, and certain media outkets, for failing to pour calm onto these troubked waters.

Know quite a few in law enforcement, some of them kids, really. I hate to think their job is this much harder today, than it was onky weeks ago. If you don't resist, then the takedowns don't happen. Say, " Yes, Sir!" , raise your hands, do not start acting loopy and antsy.

All of this unrest plays into the position of fringe elements from all angles. Yes, it worries me. Throw in bad economic signals, and it is an overall worrisome situation.
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I agree.  Of course, DS#1 is a game warden-Illinois State Conservation Police Officer.  With all the training & certification of a State Police Officer.  Actually more as they are required to do more training in the wildlife side of it.  But of course, he has his point of view as an officer and I as a mother. 

The whole situation has totally gotten blown out of perspective.  I agree with what you posted.   I think maybe some of these higher positions need to replaced.

I too am glad I do not go into larger cities very often to shop, etc.  I will take my small town stores anyday.  We live near I-80 and I see what arrests are made in our county on that highway.  I find that scary enough to know what is travelling outside my door.

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

I would gladly put a blue bulb out. Not that I don't think there are problems in and with law enforcement, bit I surely don't want to be without them.
I can not imagine fearing the police. I was raised and raised my kids with respect for authority, an attitude of cooperation with authority and the belief that the police are our friends and there to help.
I believe that is the goal of law enforcement. I find it so sad that many in our country do not view the police that way.
I also absolutely do not blame law enforcement for that experience of some of our citizens.
But I do not hear any members of the portions and communities that are unhappy with the encounters they have or see with law enforcement taking any responsibility for those encounters.
I have read many articles of successful black people saying they felt profiled by the police. But not one of them said anything along the lines of yes that is the reputation black men have to live with because of the behavior of a minority of black men. I also have not read anything of anyone associated with law enforcement say any thing along the lines of maybe there are people that shouldn't be cops.
It scares me because the possibility of increased violence seems so real
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Oh, I have read both views expressed...

One, that cop who shot the young kid with the toy weapon...the place before the one he was working or at least training for had assessed him as not good cop material at all...why that didnt get to the ones that hired him, I do not know.

I had a cousin a year older than me, now deceased, who was a deputy for a brief while...he was a **bleep**! Not a good cop, fortunately, didn't last long at it.

There is another young guy I know, who keeps calling me as a reference. He washed out of USMC for his attitude, and got weeded out for state police, even with other references inside the department. I wish he would stop calling me for a reference...fortunately, the only one that ever asked me was fir a cashier's job at a farm supply. He got fired there for his smart mouth.

If I ever do get asked about his potential, I would honestly say that I think he lacks the self-control to handle certain situations. His temper gets the best of him...and that can be a big problem.

The bottom line is, no one can really control anyone but himself. There are a lot of people blaming a lot of their own lack of control on someone else. I worry that no good eggs will want to go into law enforcement, only the arrogant, idiot wannabees. That would be the worst outcome of this situation.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I do understand why they turned their backs. The NYC mayor said many things that a person in that office should not have said in a public speech.  He appears biased to me but maybe having a black wife and children would do that? Makes you wonder who voted him into office. He is not helping the city. 

I think we should all be very concerned about these incidents from the past several months and how quickly the protests spead around the country. What is next?          

0 Kudos
wt51015
Senior Contributor

Yes there are bad apples in every segment, politicians, police, and citizens. The "system" is supposed to weed them out. However, some skew the "system" so that more and more lose faith in everything. A good example is the lack of an indictment of the guy who put a chokehold (that was discontinued a decade earlier) leading to the death of a big black guy for a possible misdemeanor. To me the grand jury didn't understand that they were there to decide if there was enough evidence to hold a trial, not to decide innocence. He can have his day in court to defend his decision, just like everyone else. That led to these protests. 

As for those officers who were gunned down in their cruiser, that is plain cold blooded murder. When both sides are afraid of each other, expect actions first then questions later. The police shouldn't have chosen the funerals to express their disrespect for the mayor. That's disrespectful to the victims' families since it turned the spotlight from them. 

Less and less people are qualified for these jobs, for many reasons (mental illness, physical incapacity, education). This country needs to make a concerted effort to cooperate with each other instead of tearing apart at its seams.

SLC
Senior Contributor

I think the violence is getting out of hand. Yes there are some bad apples in law enforcement but by & large most of them are good and I will support them.   There have been examples of both sides of this recently.  I think the media has a huge role in making this escalate into such a big thing.   

Oh I totally agree on the NYC mayor..   how in the world did he get elected.   

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It is New York City, that's how.

I support my law enforcement people, too. Most lawabiding people do.

The line of work draws some arrogant types, many of which get weeded out, fortunately. Some grow into the right mix of selfassuredness and humility. i think they catch the obvious nuts who want to shoot guns in the application pricess.
0 Kudos