cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike se il
Advisor

been a long week and going to get longer

While responding to a fire page Saturday night one of our firefighters was killed in a one vehicle accident. It was on a country road and wasn't discovered for probably over half an hour. He leaves behind a wife and 5 kids.

http://www.wthitv.com//dpp/news/local/department-remembers-fallen-firefighter#.UWzLOcrsWf1

http://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsOfWUVFD

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: been a long week and going to get longer

Mike, please accept my incere sympathy on the loss of your member of the fire company.
0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear this Mike....sending prayers to his family and your community. 

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

So sorry for your loss.

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

God Bless all our small town first responders.  Life would be a lot more scary without their bravery.

Our prayers and thoughts go to your community and all the first responders everywhere.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear of this, Mike.  We don't appreciate those responders enough.

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

follow up

I think it went better than some worried it might. We had a casket guard, a firefighter at each end of the casket during viewing, rotating new people in every 15 minutes.  Our department and a neighboring one maned that.  At the end of the visitation we had a firefighter's walk through.  About 100 firefighters filed past the casket in a walking salute.

A couple of family members posted on Facebook:

I cannot say Thank You enough to all of the volunteer firefighters that came and did the Fireman's Walk-Through during Lance Stone's visitation. It was the most moving and memorable event I have ever witnessed. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!!
Bill Brown, Jerry Parsley, Mike Bumpus, Kody Hoggatt, Paul Hoggatt, Shane Cheesman, Ron Cushman, Flower Monk, Kurt Glosser, Rusty Glosser, Aman Morgan all of West Union Volunteer Fire Department and surrounding areas. (If I knew everybodys name, you would be listed)

and

"The most powerfulest thing I've seen at a funeral was a walk through tonight at Lance Stone's visitation with all the volunteer firefighters I bawled the whole time thank you for everyone who came"

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: follow up

Mike, this past week has been a graphic reminder of what you guys do every time the alarm sounds:You rush towards trouble, instead of listening to instinct, and running the other way.

I just glanced up at a TV story about the marathon bombings, to see dozens of neon yellow police safety vests milling about the scene. It is reported that the Texas fertilizer plant explosion took many brave fire department volunteers, as well.

Your young friend gave his life in a dash to help save someone else's family and property. I hope that the tribute paid to him helps his family and community to understand just what it is that you guys do for others, every time the pager goes off.

Thank you to all of you.
0 Kudos