cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

broken

as some of you may have seen on facebook, i fell and broke my wrist and also it's dislocated.  local ortho wouldn't touch it-have to go to hand speciality ortho.  er dr. said it would probably have 2 b pinned.  wanted me 2 go 2 rockford which is so far but i'm trying peoria today.  my gp was out yesterday so i hope when i talk 2 them this a.m. he says i chose a good one.

you don't realise how many functions need 2 hands like SHIFTING 4 caps.  already found a million things.  blow drying hair and styling w/o a brush.  yikes don't look in mirror.  my mom trying 2 b helpful is already over the top.  i could feed the neighborhood w/what's in the fridge.  hope i can finish taxes in time with one hand.  time 4 pain med. and ice.  will update later

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: broken

I am sorry to hear about your wrist. You will be surprised at what you will learn to do with one hand. You did not say which one. I am saying a prayer for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

so sorry to hear about your wrist.  Falling is one of my big fears around here.  Haven't ever broken anything but have come close to knocking myself out a couple of times.

I worry alot about our feeder.  Where they are, they could fall and really hurt themselves and no one would know until we started wondering why new feed wasn't showing up when it should.  He could conceivably lay for more than an hour with out help.

I worry about myself because in the mornings when I'm the only one out and about on the farm it would probably be some time before the milkers started wondering why I wasn't coming back into the milk house.

Thank heaven for cell phones and hoping no one ever gets hurt in such a way that they can't get to their phone or breaks it getting hurt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

So sorry for your fall.  if I can encourage you at all, it may be that if the break is pinned, you will have more use of it sooner, than if you had a simple cast.  

I know that was the differnce between my two broken ankles...the pinned one had no cast, just a moon boot, so the skin didn't get all scaly like the other leg did under the cast.  Even better, my muscle didn't ateophy and take months to rebuild itself. 

Follow the doc's orders, and you will be well by spring thaw, if not sooner.  too bad someone else will, have to hand.e your chores in the cold for a few weeks.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Surgery Mon. 1 p.m. kind of late but otherwise would br Thurs. That would be a week. Have to stay overnight because so late in day. Plate and screws. Will have my fingers free then
Now they're wrapped so no use.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Will be thinking of you and will keep you in prayer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

That 's the virtue in having a surgical repair, instead of a simple cast.  You will still have to give the bones time to heal, but the actual break is mended to a certain extent by the implanted metal.   The only worse deal is keeping the incision clean and dry, until the stitches can come out.  Tht is a week or so tradeoff, instead of six weeks with a cast, so better to me.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts, and hoping your situation moves along smoothly.  Please keep us posted!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

OUCH!

Take it easy, and get well soon.

0 Kudos