cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: cell phones and low wage workers

Yes one emergency after another that they aren't prepared to handle.

But I was thinking about the glasses thread this morning as I was doing chores.  Glasses are expensive, I know mine are.

So I though what's up.  Is it right that a low wage worker with bad eye sight should have to work 2, 3 or 4 weeks just to pay for a good pair of glasses?  That just isn't right. Either they need to be paid more.  Or more to my liking it shouldn't cost that much to have adequate vision available to you.  And yes you can get glasses for less, but then do you have to get them twice as often because they don't last?.  That certainly mitigates them being cheaper, doesn't it?

Also talking about the employees that had trouble stretching gas dollars as the price varies.

We have one employee that has been with us long enough for this story.  Kind of also explains why at 49 he's milking some one else's cows.  But a few years ago when gas took it's first big jump in price, he says.  I put my 20 dollars worth in like always, and now I have to get more to get through the week.  He was so confused about why his 20 dollars worth didn't last the week that time.  Had to explain to him that his 20 dollars bought less gas.  Then he goes "OH!!"

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

No, I meant what I wrote. Church supported because she didn't get an abortion...to Christian university. I had to pay $100,00 for our daughter to get a similar education. "'Splain that one, Lucy!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That is really wrong and I certainly wouldn't have anything to do with that church
0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm curious how her life and her child's turned out? If she took advantage of her education and used it to become self sufficient and a contributing member of society, then I'd say the church's investment in her was well placed.

I'd rather have the church pay for her education than us taxpayers. Maybe she had more invested in her own success due to the source of the assistance. Way better than an anonymous welfare check that fuels a sense of entitlement instead of a sense of obligation.

Given the horrendous success rate of entitlement programs, I'd be interested in knowing more about this model and its outcome.

Even if she was not successful, at least it wasn't tax dollars wasted.
Honored Advisor

Funny thing was, she sctually dropped out, of a full ride. I am sorry I forgot to distinguish that difference. Had two more children...actually married the father and then has done nursing school in community college...I would say completed that at age 33.

Totally agree as to the private money, and educating her rather than turning a cold shoulder. It's just the wrong message to send responsible kids, rewarding irresponsible ones.
Honored Advisor

As LA notes, I think their objectives were good...an educated mother elevates the entire family. In fact, I have read that the mothe's level of education is a good inducator of how the children will do in life, at least in similar terms of school accomplishment.

This whole thing of the woman setting the family's course is really on my heart this morning. Our hired guy's children have been taken from their home. I hadn't really been told much, until last night. We had been homebound a lot lately, and with schools closed two weeks for snow, I hadn't really noticed that there were no bus stops being made there.

Daughter was back at work from her vacation yesterday. Guy was filling her in that his children had been not allowed back in their home from slightly before the weather went to pot. He and wife had gotten off with each other, over one of her children tripping ang falling over his feet. Both called the law, and the law had called social services, due to conditions in the home.

The entire house was freshly painted inside and cleaned before they moved in. We have had to get after them to pick uo trash a few times in the yard, but I don't go inside. Not appropriate.

Turns out the wife and children have been staying at his elderly aunt's house fir over two weeks, then he goes to watch the kids all night. I feel sorry for that little lady when she returns from her trip, because the guy says wife has " torn up her house, too".

So, the whole cleanup on the house here has fallen on him. His wife's way of appreciating his aunt is to ruin her nice home, too.

It is really hard. Here we pay him to work, and provide a bills-paid household. They get child support from two of the children's other dads. They could have a basically carefree life, but there is constant drama, just because this girl will not pick up trash off the floor and wash their clothes, in the machines we provide and pay power and water for.

What do you do with someone like that? He has already been late to work some days, because she had left him in charge and gone off for the night. We like him and he does his job okay, but this is unraveling fast.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I hope the aunt agreed to them moving in. When there is a choice with today's birth control I do not understand why these girls keep having babies. Maybe you should have the right to inspect the house?  Although it probably too late as you stated.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have a friend that is a nutritionist and worked for the state counseling underprivileged pregnant women.

She would get so disgusted because she'd work with a woman through one pregnancy, the state would take the kid and the woman would be back again having another kid at the state's expense.  Laura thought the state ought to have the right to sterilize some of these women at some point.

One time she had a client that was bemoaning having a nice Thanksgiving dinner for her family.  So Laura and her husband out of their own pocket got a nice meal together for them.  She said never again would she do anything like that because she had to remove the alcohol and drugs from the table before she could put the nice food she had brought them down.  All she could think of was maybe a little less booze and drugs and they could have provided their own holiday meal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Kay,  I think he knows what he should do.   But,  he can't. The Drama Queen will turn him in.   She will call it abuse if he stands over yelling to pick up trash.   Even though NO ONE will believe that yelling for her to clean up her family's mess is abuse. But,  she will love the drama.  And you will be out of an employee while she manipulates the system.  She'll divorce him  since she doesn't want to do her job.    Someplace along the timeline  she got away from learning how to do anything.... probably from a parent that lived off the government doing nothing  all day long.    The aunt will come home and throw a kinipshan fit tell her she WILL pick up and clean up the mess SHE MADE.   And she'll just walk away.  Storm out the door with her little tribe of ????   Until someone forces criminal charges and alll the kids are taken away  she will NOT lift one finger.   I take it she does have one and only one skill.  I bet the house/s she grew up in looked just like these.     I'm sure a nursery full of pigs ready to leave are cleaner than her house. 

He needs to find a relative to watch the herd,  then he take her out to your house  and tell her to clean.    When she says no,  Yell at her to clean.   All the while  he cleans.   Tell her if she is not going to clean... then when HE GETS it clean.   He will go get the kids  and she can leave  forever.   The house is his to use  not hers If she won't clean up and everyone  knows it  he'll get at least his kids.  Child care could be the big problem. 

I know it won't work  but there has to be something that would scare her into being a real mom.    I'd say  someone needs to call DCFS  again to see the aunt's house and take the kids  AGAIN!   She can't get them until she completes a parenting course  and has a clean house to put them in. 

Senior Contributor

No easy way out of this one for you.   Its going to end up costing you in the end no matter how it shakes out.  Suey has it right...  

In our state lease laws, you do have the right for an occasional (yearly?) inspection of your rental house with reasonable notice - not sure if its 24 hrs or a week.    We should actually follow this ourselves but we don't.    

0 Kudos