cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

eBay?

Do any of you use eBay or craigslist for finding things you need, but which are not available anywhere nearby?  I've always used amazon for most stuff, but I wanted one tiny item that was so old, it was discontinued everywhere that sells new stuff. 

Found it in well under five minutes on eBay, and the price was right, so had it shipped.  It took me a few minutes to set up a Paypal account, but I think it was less aggravation than calling stores to search for such a small thing. 

I searched last night for the bowl I broke a while back, since Replacements LTD. did not have it.  No lukck, but what a world of stuff is out there! 

Our SIl uses eBay a lot, and he listed their winter stock of horse manure on craigslist, and has had plenty of takers.  I know you have to beware of online dealings, but this does seem a really efficient way of putting buyers and sellers together. 

Do any of you use eBay to buy or sell??

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: eBay?

Use a credit card with your Paypal. I have had trouble with my card when I opened an account. I would hate to know what it would have been if I had put my checking account on it.Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have been an active ebayer for several years.  It has been the best source of Stangl Maizeware, a pottery that I have collect.  It is so hard to find that pottery in the Maize pattern that I have pretty much given up looking in shops and just look at Ebay for it now.  I buy a lot of my rug hooking books and supplies on ebay as well as some Christmas gifts.  I have always had good luck.  I do read feedback and I always leave feedback, too.  I think that helps to ensure a good outcome.

I have only been a seller on Ebay one time.  I sold a years worth of QST magazines on there but I was so inexperienced that I did not calculate the shipping so I lost money on that deal.  Have not sold on there since. 

My son uses Craigslist all the time.  He sold his Dodge Dakota on there...and just got rid of a bunch of firewood from a fallen tree for a good price.  He bought enough Pergo for his condo to do the entire first floor for next to nothing.  He may have bought his Honda Civic that he uses for commuting to work on there.  I know they got a lot of their baby items on there as did my cousin. 

I have no first hand experience with Craigslist.

I liked Ebay a lot better in the early years when it was a true auction site.  There are a number of new triggers and such that make it very hard to jump in on a sale at the last minute.  Plus a lot more items are Buy It Now or in the Ebay Store which means more selection but fewer true bargains. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I agree with your policy on this...Iwas glad to see I could use a credit card with the Paypal account.  The only drafts I allow on checking accounts are for insurance policies, so as to prevent any possible lapses in coverage.  With the credit card, I have zero fraud protection, which to me makes it a lot safer to use for such purposes. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I've gotten brave, and am bidding on three small items right now. 

My favorite Vera Bradley bag is getting a bit worn, and I do not want to change to a newer color.  The Symphony in Hue has a very bright and broad set of paisleyed colors on black bacground, which reminds me of stained glass.  Have so many of the pieces in this pattern, I want to keep using it, so decided to look for a new mini-hipster purse to match. 

Found several ones in th esize.style I wanted, listed as new with tags.  Am bidding on one, plus two other NWT tote bags that are new to me in the same pattern.  Our local shop has never had these, at least when I've been in there.  I do like for my accessories to match. 

My previous teensy purchase was a set price "buy it now" offer, and I had been looking long enough to know it was hard to find, so iI just bought it.  These items are the first ones I've actually bid on, so we'll see how it goes....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Love ebay. I have found some great buys on there for everyone. I also use Pay Pal, and I have never had any problems with it. My DH did bid on a hunting bow, and thought someone would over bid him but they did not. He still got it for 600.00 less than a new one. I use it for hard to find items.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've used ebay for a number of years, both as buyer and seller.  Most recently sold a vintage stereo receiver that I shipped from Maine to California.  Previously have sold anything from sports trading cards to used electronics to Red Rose figurines to my grandmothers old braided rug.  Have and will continue to use it to buy books, computer gizmos (cable & the like).  Have been very lucky in both purchasing and selling in that haven't had a bad transaction in all these years.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Advisor

It's an interesting way to find some things, for sure.  I've always enjoyed auctions for antiques and equipment, but you have to know what soemthign is worth, and be willing to control you impulses when bidding gets fierce. 

So far, I've bid on four various bags in my favorite Vera Bradley fabric pattern.  Got two, and two are still up for bigs.  I am happy with my purchases, and look forward to them arriving soon.  I don't care too much if I get either of the other two or not...they just opened so low, I started the bidding on them to get them going.  I will very likely let them both go, since I got the two I really wanted most.... 

0 Kudos