cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

electric gremlins?

I think it was Dairymom who mentioned light problems. Same here.  Been battling the upstairs bathroom light or light switch for years.  DH thinks it's the balust but it will need to replaced since I tried to clean the bugs out of the thing & broke a piece of the plastic shade.  Still never got cleaned though.  Drives me nuts to see all those bugs when the light is on.  (DH says don't look at them-smart a**)

And then the laundry room light went kapuut and had to be replaced.  Went for several days before that happened & only when I threatened to call an electrician.  Which sent him through the roof.  LOL 

And then the outlet in the LR pulled completely out when I unplugged the vacuum a couple weeks ago.  also needs attention. 

And when we got home from the fair late we were feeding calves in the dark because not one but two of the outside lights were out.  Which BTW, I really do not want calves to bucket feed this winter. 

Anyway, it seems we are terribly behind here.  DH is finally noticing things.  Guess we only did the pertinent upkeep when dairying.  Now it's catchup time.  Not counting the house upkeep.  Never gets attention I'm afraid. 

And do you ever come home from a "city" friend's house, which is decorated so attractively, and think you would lock the door if they came ringing the bell?  It's been awhile since I really got into deep cleaning & decorating.  Really don't know where to start in either department.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: electric gremlins?

For several reasons, your post struck so many chords in my life.

We have been replacing light fixtures in so many places for two years, I have lost count. The last was installing a new ceiling fan in our bedroom at Jenna's. It was a nice Hunter " Five Minute Fan"...it ought to be against the law to name something that deceptively!

We are checking to see if a couple we are getting friendly with can come over for supper tomorrow night. They live in the small "town" six miles south of us. Their home is a beautiful Southern Living style...wide front porch, pretty and very traditional decor. It is new and shiny, but their garage in junky enough that I feel not so intimidated.

Mike came in pooped, but with the last wire run for this fence section today. He has to heat it up, put the jump wires at the corners, and hang gates. SIL says he will trench in water line this week. I am seeing the light at the end of this section of the tunnel now.

Our gremlin this past week was that dead phone line to the hog farm alarms, which acted like Lazarus every time a repairman showed up. Mike has gotten very good at the logic problems involved in troubleshooting such things. His famous beginning comment is, " It makes no sense...." After that his statement will ferret out the real source of the problem.

Our worst problem was that it worked "some of the time". It is easier to fix something that is totally broken every time you try to use it!

Doing the deeper cleaning as I go these days. It is hard to do anything neat and easy with clothing for two seasons in two or more sizes, due to dropping weight. In-between sizes and seasons is harder than normal seasonal changes. Double to triple the handling, and it can't possibly fit into the drawers and closets....
0 Kudos
Advisor

Several gremlins need to attacked here.   We now have 3 houses,   4 hog bldgs,   8 grain bins,   and Tom has at least 2 - 4 electrical problems at all times.   Today we had to take on the gremlin that causes the 4020 battery to discharge  so it won't start.   That 4020 really, really needs a complete overdue  or traded.   I think Tom is holding on to it  since it is the last old tractor his Dad owned.   One of the originals we bought from them.   We've replaced all the other tractors.   The lights don't work in either hallway  in the big house.   There is always a motor or light dying somewhere.     Actually,  my DH  enjoyed his winter activity in the nice warm house.    He lives to fix! 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Would plan on the overhaul on that tractor...anyone with family ties to old iron understands how it feels to operate one that was handed down. I would love to have my old Farmall 504. Grew up hauling tobacco sleighs and cultivating peanuts in the seat.

Mike's next electrical challenge will be heating up the new fence perimeter. Electric fence can be be a special sort of challenge. Between grass growing up and trees falling down, it is like Mother Nature abhors high-tensile. Then, she sends deer to crash through it, too.

Right now, we are happily anticipating the Parade of the Cows. It warms the cockles of our hearts to see a herd wading into belly-deep grass.

I have two gremlins in my " studio" house beside Jenna's. The front entry hall and the stove hood. Both keep blowing bulbs, but I am using bulbs found in outbuildings, rather than new ones, so that may be it. Not my top concern right this minute. Haven't tried replacing the fluorescents in any of the closets yet.

That house has a weird configuration between the master bath and kitchen...one GFCI outlet in the vanity area controls outlets in both rooms. Cheap way of making code compliance, I guess.

I am trying to figure out a cheaper way to heat the house, but will probably rely on zone heating with a portable heat pump in the glass rooms, plus there is a big skylight in there that warms up the area quite a bit. If we can get an old corn stove moved and installed, that's another possibility. The heat pump works, but isn't very efficient.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes Linda seems like the farm and cows always take precedent. Guess that is why in the 90's we only had a storm screen door (in Michigan) on the main entrance to the house for 5 years. Didn't get taken care of till one of the girls fell through it during a little shoving match about who was going out first. Oh my those two fought all the time, still don't really like each other. Hubby says "well that's not where the money comes from".
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

"Where the money comes from " is understandable to a point. I draw the line at a lack of health and safety, or basic human comfort.

If I tell Mike something needs fixing, " before something slithers inside", he knows I mean business. I have sworn that if a snake gets inside this house, I am gone, for good! We got close last summer, when I found a snakeskin inside the front screened porch. He tightened that up a good bit this spring.

I wonder sometimes if we ought to treat our own families as well as we do our renters. Our realtor called Friday about 10:30' saying one of the ones in VA had a water heater leak. I diverted our helper there, from working on my studio house, and he grabbed my son, before he started his work for the evening ( he works for himself at nights in hot weather).

They ran to Lowe's, bought the heater with my credit card son carries for such emergencies, and had it installed within maybe four hours at most. When the girl at Jenna's former rental in NC calls with problems, I have it done as soon as she can find a contractor who will take Visa over the phone, usually within hours, too.

The older I get, the more insistent I am about having things in working order and decent where we live, too. This was something I decided upon when we would sit in the dark, dirty and without heat or AC, after storms, while the pigs had power from the genset. Why not treat my family as well as livestock?

Now, if I am able to have a house painted for complete strangers to move into, why not have our own homes look as nice? For the first time in many years, I have become more comfortable with having people over. Until my mindset shifted, and some priorities changed, I felt ashamed of my surroundings.

Not that things are new and shiny here...you guys have seen pictures of this house when we started. I did put my foot down two months ago, about an exterior door frame that was rotting away at its bottom. Parts in PVC to fix it against rot had been in the garage for months. Mike finally fixed that, and four wooden battens that had fallen off the porch kneewall, in less than an hour.

You may find it very difficult to get things fixed while major construction is going on...been there and done that! There is a decent interval after that phase, then household needs have to be met....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am going to go out on the limb and say it again, all men seem to think alike and just don't see the things that drive women crazy while woman are all interesting but all different.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Amen, and AMEN!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sometimes wonder if there has been a surge on the line that knocks things out.  Thank heaven we arent in California earthquake!  I keep thinking about a housekeeper to come out at least once!  My MIL has one in town that I could call.  Dog hair, cat hair, gravel road dust all has taken its toll on me!  Also have been thinking of tearing out carpet in dining room and living room and having wood floor in dining room and new carpet in living room and up the steps.  Hmmm...does that match the new grain bin, auger and whatever else he has bought lately???!!!  It would have to be out of my stash!  I just got a new porch though.  Want to get rid of 30+ year old carpet before I get grandkids that will be laying and crawling on it.  Yes, I am very envious of my friends that have beautiful houses with magazine style interiors, but I still love my farm life..they don't know what they are missing.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, I love my farm life &  not having neighbors tightly pushed into my space.  What I meant was how I have gotten lax in just decorating/arranging things I already have & also replacing needed furnishings.

We agree that we need a new recliner & actually a new sofa also.  Or else recover the sofa.  Not having the Home & Garden network I really am at a loss what direction I want to go.  Before we moved here I used to decorate & move furniture around so much DH said you couldn't go into a room in the dark as the chair might not be there.

And I used to study magazines for ideas, etc.  Now I don't know if it's my age or what, but I don't care so much.

But then when I learn that company is coming I look at the surroundings & think Woman Embarassed EEK!  And I have a sister in law & a friend who I swear could make a barn look attractive.  Cute porches to welcome you, etc.  Nothing expensive but accessorised (sp?)  many times using the things I have stuffed in a closet or something.

Need to paint a couple rooms this fall (and DEEP CLEAN) and I dread the thought of the disruption of it all.

Suppose if I could find someone to help me that would spur me on.

0 Kudos