cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: electric gremlins?

Close neighbors are, in my recent experience, highly overrated. I really enjoy having room to roam, no one breathing down my neck.

It is funny, but whenever anyone comes over, our houses are so different...either this ramshackle salvaged one in NC, or the quaint farm cottage with Jenna's funky/artsy touches in VA...they are very complimentary.

My helper explained a lot of my decorating philosophy to me a while ago, as I was putting together lots of odd items in the studio house..."if you throw enough colors out there, eventually some of them will work together. " he does my painting in Va, just wish he'd come to NC for a couple of ceilings that need doing. I want light blue instead of white.

No matter where I am, there will be some red and purple together. Jenna left us with a pink - painted kitchen, and it is precious. If you were to ask me in the abstract if either is my taste, I would not offer them up...yet, I love them.

I think other people's houses almost always look better to us than our own do. We see sticky fingerprints, boot droppings, and paper clutter. They see a charming farmhouse set back down a long lane, maybe a pretty barn or herd of cows grazing, the ponds, woods, and so on. We forget sometimes that our " homes" are not just inside four walls.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I always say my house is to live in. Never had expensive furnishings because I was not about being on my kids all the time to be careful. We are beginning to acquire more things of better quality, but I still want my grands to feel free to have fun here. Never let the kids be destructive, but if they wanted to use the couch cushions to build a fort they did
0 Kudos
Advisor

My husband's  fraternal grandma is not thought of lovingly by the grandkids.   Going to Grandma's house was not fun.   No running, playing and especially no sitting on the edge of the couch cushions.    If you tried to keep your feet on the floor or dangling at the knees you were chewed out because you were going to ruin the cushions.  They were 6 years old!   No little 6 year old is going to ruin a couch cushion by sitting on the edge.      I think we were nice grandparents last week.   We let her bounce on the couch and recliner cushions.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You both have an outlook similar to ours...homes are for living in, houses are to look at.
0 Kudos