cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

food processors

Just wondering if any of you own food processors & do you really use them.  DS & wife got one for Christmas & want to get me one for my birthday present.  Don't really know if I'd use it enough although if you watch any cooking shows you wonder how you can cook without one.    

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: food processors

The infomercials are littered with them too. Last one we got was during a Black Friday sale for $2.50. Worked good until we tried to crush peppermint candy in it. LOL

Food processors may seem like a necessity to a kitchen. I would figure out what I chopped and the amount to figure out the size and horsepower needed. Saw one tonight that was an emulsifier with a 2hp motor. Priced $200+s/h. Do you make a lot of soups or smoothies from scratch? If you don't think you would, steer away from that one. That is just a single example. Just do a lot of research before buying an appliance that may have a big price tag.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This one is a 7 hp motor, extra bowl, 12 c. (too large?) direct from manufacturer $149.99 no shipping or handling over $100.  Sounds like a good deal.  I do think I'd like it for pureeing my tomatoes, especially when the kids are here.  They aren't crazy about chunky tomatoes in their spaghetti sauce, etc.  And having lots of eggs I take deviled eggs to a lot of church dinners.  I just don't have a lot of kitchen storage & counter top space.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have one that I use sometimes, usually for pie crust. I have a very small one that I also use sometimes as it is easier to get and clean since it is smaller. I used it to chop some turkey last week for turkey salad. I find they are great for a few things.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I held out for a long time and finally bought an Oster in February. I really like it. It came with a case to hold  all of the blades so they aren't constantly in the way.I have used it this winter for bread crumbs and grating cheese but I think a lot of usage will be seasonal, mainly canning season for salsas and sauces.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I have a smaller Kitchenaid one, 7-cup.  That price, size and power sound nice for the money.  Is it  a reputable brand?  

I like Kitchenaid small appliances, because I eventually need a blade or something, and parts are pretty widely available.  Right now, I've had to sit tonight and go online to find a clutch gear for my smoothie blender. 

Miek has made a couple of boo-boos lately, one when setting the container down on hte gear, another crosssthreading the base when screwing it onto the jar when he's taken it out of the dishwasher.  Both resulted in the rubber gear getting chewed down to a ring of nubs and so it hardly turns the blades anymore...I was able to easily find the parts to fix it online in five minutes or less. 

As for using a food processor, I do when slicing onions, no tears.  QWhen grating cheese, no scraped knuckles.  When making strawberry shortcake, no big chunks of berries.  If you really want smooth tomatoes, it will do the job. 

I've stopped storing stuff that is used infrequently on top of the cabinets.  I have started setting things like the rice cooker and food processor into a deep drawer, or in a low cabinet.  I have no upper cabinets in this kitchen, but higher shelves are a good place for stuff you use once in a while.  Some small appliances are pantry stored here, too.

Storage rule is :Less often used, the higher, lower or further out they are stored. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Next time you want to grind up some peppermint candy, send it to me to my house, and we will run it thourgh my ancient Vita-mix.  I think you could crush marbles in that thing. 

I guess if the Kitchenaid blender ever dies completely, I'll crawl under the cabinet and drag it out again. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have a Cuisinart that I use frequently.  I use it a lot during the holidays...it has a dough blade....I also use it for making ham salad and fillings for stuffed foods such as stuffed mushrooms, chicken, tomatoes, etc...You really have to pulse foods unless you wnat them to end up pureed.....really anything that I used to put through a food grinder....I also use it for slicing and grating.  Since I got a stand mixer a few years ago, I no longer keep it on my counter.  It is closeby in the pantry cupboards but I don't mind getting it out when I need it.  Not sure if anyone mentioned this but be sure that the bowls will fit in your dishwasher and are dishwasher safe.

0 Kudos