cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

garbage problems

Don't know if anyone else pays to have dumpster garbage pickup, but we chose yrs. ago to go this way due to the the  waste if the dairy.  When our local service was bought out by Waste Management we went ahead and signed the contract as it was the only option.  Because they come in with a large truck we can't be picked during road postings during the spring; the other company comes in with a smaller truck during this time.  We sit with garbage piling up.  Found out in small print on our contract if you don't cancel this contract by phone 180 days prior & not less than 90 days before the 3 yr contract comes due you are automatically renewed. Another 3 yrs. 

My current beef (other than our stupidity) is getting a credit on the time we had no pickup.

Sitting on hold FOREVER!  Like to bill them for my time.  I have it marked on my calendar for Aug. to send a registered letter to get out of this deal.  Thanks for my vent and just a word of warning.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: garbage problems

Believe it or not we get excellent service from Waste Management.  Never any hassles that last longer than a day.  But then the guy that owns the farm where we run our heifers and bull is a lifetime employee of Waste management because their local facilty is on land they purchased from him and came with a lifetime bennies for him.  He runs interference for us thus no problemos.  Good luck to you dealing with them.

They need a lot more competition.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I think that is the company that does our curbside (ditch bank) pickup of the super cans weekly. We pay $186.00 per residence per year for one can. Old store we bought is taxed same amount and so we use that one for overflow. Employee's residence is my third fee, and daunted is a fourth. I also had to pay the same amount for the half-interest property I bought into last fall, since the woman who lives there claims she didn't get the tax bill, and I didn't want my name in the newspaper as a deadbeat. A lot to pay to get rid of trash, but at least they have been mostly reliable.
Doing the farmyard cleanup this winter, SIL contracted for a six-yard box with GDS. I will just say the got got to be the initials of what was said every time we opened a bill....it got ridiculous, because their office staff was totally incompetent, and no amount of trying to work with them got the bills adjusted right. The ops side guys were great. The last one I spoke to finally got the bill zeroed out in March...five months of hassles.
Sorry you are having a hard time with this necessary service. I would press to have what I am paying for....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Gosh, I'm sorry you are having such issues with them.  I know that my neighbor was having issues with them during the winter not picking up since their driveway is steep and it was icy.  They credited their bill no problem.  We haven't had any issues with them so far (knock on wood) but I see their fuel surcharge went up.  Hubby and I were talking about lowering our pickup but decided we didn't want the garbage around a month during the summer.  We are on a 2 week rotation and so far so good. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We pay $56. for 1.5 yd. container & once/month pickup.  When it started we got 2 x's a month.  They changed when we had no other options.  Yes, it does get very stinky during the summer.  I try not to clean the fridge, etc. until the week of the pickup.  Otherwise !! 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I cannot imagine having month-old garbage around here in summertime. It is bad enough with them picking up once a week.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I found that in dealing with GDS, while we rented a dumpster box temporarily for farm cleanup this past fall and winter, that the ops side guys were my best ally.  After several phone calls, long letters to their billing department, etc., to address an overcharge amounting to more than $700 (the dummy in the regional office coded us in for weekly billing, instead of the proper monthly one!), one remark to the guy who was set to pick up the box when we were done got it all fixed.   

All I said was, "You guys who drive the trucks and do the dirty work are great...the office staff is nuts.  If they can code a bill in wrong, then they can back it out to make it right." 

After 15 weeks of aggravation trying to deal with a cast of real characters, the route supervision guy called back in less than 15 minutes, and said, "You will be getting one more bill.  It's going to be wrong, too.  Throw it in the trash...you account is now paid in full." 

0 Kudos