cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

grandkids, etc.

Just got home from DGD's volleyball tournament.  I feel so badly for her & several others on the team.  She is #1 or #2 on the second team, I guess you would say.  And naturally, the coach/team want to win.  But (and this is the 2nd game of the season) even when the score is 4 to 14, the coach rarely gives the others a chance.  If they get in it's just for one or two serves.

I realise this is no new issue, but I see it in Little League and all down the line.   But it would be nice to see more of the kids get experience when there is an opportunity.  She gave up dance to do VB.  And the worst is to come as we have two jr. high schools.  When they join for high school there will be twice the girls trying to get on the team. I know, welcome to the real world.  You would think some of these coaches were in stakes for big money if they win.    

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: grandkids, etc.

Been there done that with my kids and two more years with son in football, he gets to play alot though.

Now back when I played ball games of any kind, that was a paid for sport before reaching middle school and HS the coach had to let everyone play a certain amount of time.  And when you reached older ( HS ) you tried out for the team, if you weren't on the top end you were cut, which is nice in away cause then you did not waste all your time practicing and never got to play.

It is still hard to see those kids sit on the bench the whole game or stand on the field and not get a chance to play.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Most coaches have one main objective and that is to win.  Silly parents think teachers have an obligation to teach. Especially in the early years.  Unfortunately some kids never get the opportunity to learn and to play. Thus the self taught kids or family taught kids have a distinct advantage. So better players with more natural talent and more competive experience generall rise to te top.

However, it is not all lost  if that kid will work harder than anyone else and spend the hours in group practice  and self [ractice he can improve his chances. The kid that goes to basketball practice and then forgets about it until the next practice is doomed to failiure. Yopu really have to commit to that activity and work your buns off improving your skills.

Probably the best female basket ball player at our local school develop[ed incredible skills because she played and competed with three older brothers. They were good players as well but her grit earned her incredible respect

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Actually, in a way high school coaches can be playing fir big money. My older cousin had several of her female volleyball players earn full ride college scholarships.

It us interesting to see college athletes negotiating for compensation now. The line between amateur and pro has really been growing more and more obscure.

Sports taught me a lot about life. Not all of it was hunky-dory, but I would say it was more positive than negative overall.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

OKdon is correct.  The average kid without siblings or dedicated parents able to afford the camps and private lessons etc is out. They go to all the practices but do not get floor time.  Sure it is about choices but at graduation you see the others who put their time into volunteering or music or other clubs which look good on resumes and applications.  DGS who just graduated and helped on the farm and played sports had no extra time for the other interests.  And then there is the costs for transportion to practice. I have very mixed feelings about sports. Sometimes I see it as a high for the parent.

0 Kudos