cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

hacked

Well yesterday I went to use my bank card & it wouldn't work.  Very unsettling.  Called the bank & a business I used it at had been "compromised".  Probably Home Depot.  Don't use it a lot.  Just enough evidently.  So a new card will be issued for all those that purchased there.  Until then I'm cutting it up.  Maybe permanently.

Today our feed salesman stopped & told Ronnie to tell me he WAS trying to lose a little weight.  Thanks for calling his attention to it.  LOL Evidently an ad for weight loss product went out to ALL my contacts, which I didn't send & really don't remember looking at.  I might have been on a site that had it as a side bar promotor.  This fella doesn't need to lose weight, and laughed it off.  I'm wondering if my other friends who are heavy will find it so amusing.  I've sent an immediate rebuttal to all. 

Called the computer center and he said it could have come from a person who I am in contact with who was in the site.  Who knows.  Ran a scan & no virus infection so that was good.  However, I'm on my kindle a lot & the laptop.  Haven't checked it.

What's safe nowadays?  My son's friend had his checking account number hacked & lost money plus had the account frozen for months.  A nightmare.  Debit, credit or CASH!!?? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: hacked

I'm not sure what is safe.  I never like to carry a lot of cash.. but sure don't want to be hacked on CC, debit, or checking

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

There is only one store I would use my debit card at, once or twice a year...big national chain, but I on,y used it there, mostly just to make sure it worked, impn case I needed it. Ladt time I ran it there, it had exoired, be ause the bank hadn't sent a new one. When .i asked in the bank, they said they do not send rep,acement cards anymore, unless you use it 6-7 times a month at minimum. I will pribably just close that small account now...usually just kept maybe $2000 in it at most, fir emergencies.

Our credit card has zero fraud protection...federal law holds credit card fraipud liability to $50, unless the law has changed...so, I use the credit card most of the time. I will pull out cash for small purchases more and more now. I think it depends a lot on hiw and where you shop.

We get money back from the credit card purchases, from 1-5 percent, depending upon what we bought by card. That adds up over time, and that is sort of " mad money" to us.

More and more local businesses are asking not to be given cards, we find. The transaction fees cut hard in poorer businesses, I guess. Virtually every store that accepts them is subject to hacking, as are gas stations, websites, and as I said, I NEVER use a card at a restaurant.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay, not sure I understand.  Do you use your credit card most places?  What do you use at restaurants?  I only use my bank card as a credit card, it's a Master Card and this account is a personal account which has a smaller balance than the farm account.  Nevertheless I don't want to lose anything.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When credit cards are taken from you at the table and taken away they are easily copied out of site, or the info written out, and it is suggested that you not give a CC at those places. I have not had a CC refused at any small business but I do understand why they would do that.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

When we eat out, we pay cash, period!   No card of mine is leaving my sight, and in restaurants, they almost always do.  If I don't have cash, I can sto[p at an ATM, or eat later, at home. 

I use the credit card for most purchases.  I swipe it at the register or pump.  If you are careful that way, then the hacks are mostly the huge ones like the Target one that got my card compromoised, but not used fraudulently, last winter. 

I will NOT give anyone access to a checking account, with only two exceptions...my farmowners and health insurance are drafted monthly.from the same account.  That is so those two bills get paid, even if I get hit by a bus.  Everything else can wait a while, has grace periods, etc.   

This system works for us.  I don't say it woudldwork for everyone, but you do need to consider how many hacks you want to deal with.  I am becoming more of a cash buyer in some circumstances. 

I have had three hacks in my lifetime.,,one I cannot trace to the source, but was probably a restaurant, which was what changed my habits; one was the local vet's office, because we traced my credit and daughter's debit card there the same week, only stop in common...and they do not keep card numbers on file anymore; third was Target.  One girl I know has been hacked on her debit card six times this year alone. 

I haven't got the patience for that kind of nonsense, for what littel convenience the card is over cash. 

Advisor

So far I will still use a credit card for resturants  but I do try to keep an eye on it. 

Absolutely  no debit cards here.   No way no how.    Would have to maintain another checking  account, (which would make 7), with mininal amount in it to ever have  a debit card.     Only health insurance has access to my checking account.    If I could get by without  payroll even knowing  my checking account #  I would.     

Have a cousin who has a hacked e-mail account right now.    She/it keeps sending  bulk e-mails with links to click. 

So tired of hearing of hacking.   I don't like having to have passwords everywhere.   I hide them right next to the keyboard. 

0 Kudos