cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

help with dog?

Jump to solution

We have not had an outside dog for a long time since we live near a highway. My cousin had a choc lab come to her house and she couldn't keep it as she already had one. We brought it home knowing it was probably under 2 yrs old and had arrived at my cousins after the neighbors had found it at their home but when they left it left also.

It is a very well trained dog and very intelligent but wants to run after anything the makes lots of noise and will jump into almost anything.  He also leaves when no one is outside with him. He is very well mannered most of the time. We have tried a shock collar. We don't have a pen with a fence he can't jump over and hesitate to build one if he will leave.

Any ideas to keep this nice dog here? Will neutering help? Or should we just let him go?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: help with dog?

Jump to solution

He sounds sweet, and yet he is evidently a rambler.  He may be looking for his original owers.  If he sticks around and you can help him find his way home, that would be ideal to me.

You may want to have him checked for a microchip...call your vet and see what it takes to get that done.  They can advise you better on how to manage him, too.

We use a kennel built under a tin roof, so the dogs cannot get out while we are gone or working where they can't follow. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
Fixing him may help quite a bit. Definitely check for a chip...
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

Our daughter has had great luck with the invisible fence with a shock collar. She has a lab that they leave out when they are at work(they have a long driveway) and he stays inside the yard where the cable is buried. The dog will get a warning beep and then a shock. She has the fence run in front of her flower gardens so he doesn't lay in them either.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

The invisible fences here are very expensive. Is there a way to DIY?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

At our True Value they run from 250-300, depending on the kind. They have a wireless now that runs on radio waves. So if you take the dog to uncle Jim's you can just set it up there and it will control him.(up to a quarter acre, I think)

They got theirs during a grand opening of the store so had a little cost cut and then rented a edger to dig the trench for the wire.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I think checking for a microchip would be my first order of business...and then gettin' him fixed. I don't see a reason to keep a dog intact if you're not using them for breeding. You just end up with unwanted puppies somewhere..and someone else has to deal with a problem. I don't know how invisible fences are put in...but I don't think it would be too hard to build a small knife to pull behind a compact tractor to knife one in 6 inches or so. I've never had an invisible fence...training my dogs to stay off the road was a daily chore. You take them to the road...like when I cross the road to pick up the newspaper every morning, and then make them stay on their side...while you walk across and come back. It takes lots of repetition...and probably more time than you can spare. That's why the invisible fence is so popular...it doesn't take much time to set one up.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for that info. I have never really done much training with a dog. Yes, first I need to check for the chip. someone has spent alot of time and money on this dog.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Just another suggestion...you may want to take a few minutes, to call around to the animal control office and any local rescue organizations, to see if anyone is looking for him.  Think what the owner of such a nice animal might be doing to find him, and call those places. check the lost dog ads in the papers, etc.  

I would do this if he's not chipped, and before I altered him.  We once neutered a bearuifly male dog that had been abandoned, after we got him over mange, worms and starvation.  Three months later,the owner rolled up in my yard, and started telling me he was a "champion stud"....yeah, right!  Not anymore....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

We installed a DIY model and it worked really well.  Used a trencher to lay the wire.  Once the dog got zapped a few times if he has any intelligence at all, you won't need to keep the collar on him.  Unfortunately, our Aussie got into a bad habit of killing chickens & turkeys.  The last turkey was about ready for butchering & DH didn't put up with it.  No more dog.

0 Kudos