cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

how does it happen

How does it happen that my house is so completely out of control, the dairy parlor was absolutely filthy along with the milk house, and I can't say my garden looks any better.  I know I got behind when I was running over to clean my FIL's house and the pressure washer broke for the barn, but geeze louise, I'd love to see ONE aspect of my life in order. 

After spotting the two new bugs in my house I got on a cleaning frenzy.  I have to admit I've had some health issues that have zapped my energy.  And the last couple days have been terrible for allergies which give me migraines.  (3 days of those and I'm still not OK)  DIL has a bad throat & headache also from allergies.  Since she seemed worse than me, I took the 8 & 4 yr old here today.  (along with a headache I'm losing my mind) Cousin has allergies also & she said hers have been terrible.  So I'm not imagining.  Back to cleaning-the spiders have done a wonderful job with webs and I worked 2 days & am not nearly done.  And I'm sick of being in the house.

Then the day after the bug man came, I thought I'd take a break & relax.  But the dairy inspector came & that wasn't good.  Well, not real bad-my standards are pretty high.  But she hinted I might want to do some housecleaning as we might have company.  Hint: state or fed. inspectors.  And better not wait til next week.

So I spent another day cleaning in the barn (my house should be so clean) and have a few touch ups yet.  DH helped and a high school fella or I'd still be there.  But being in there didn't help the headaches. 

Guess I should hire a cleaning woman at least once a month.  At least for the house.  Do you ever just wish that you could see one piece of your life orderly?  Or am I the only slob on this site.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Re: how does it happen

Of course you aren't!!!  My sister came and cleaned for graduation, But I am sure it is just a dirty as the day she arrived to clean now!  I would rather be outside cleaning and mowing than being stuck in the house.  the other night I could'nt stand being in the house and went out and started sorting the nuts, bolts, washers etc that had built up on the shop shelf!  The guys were working out there.  They had piled out to about 6 inches from the wall!  Not high, but out onto the workbench!  When my daughter would come home from college, she would always complain about my housekeeping..Today i was with her and after dress shopping, I started cleaning her house! It was more of a bachelor pad than a young ladies house...but she does live with my future son-in-law!  so I really don't care what my house looks like...my future son-in-law was at our house today and he actually said "what got into you, the house was cleaner than he'd seen it in awhile!  Maybe we just haven't been here much! Don't feel bad as I can sure understand you not feeling well and taking on more than a woman should! But we wouldn't feel right if we didn't!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Linda, I ask myself the same question...how can the house look fine one day, and be a total wreck the next? I suppose it might have something to do with several dirty- booted adults tromping in onto the clean floors, dishes and glasses strewn around the kitchen and dining room, and a mountain of dirty laundry every time you turn around. We tend to think it is " all our fault" when the demands of the home get past us, no matter what else outside of it presses us into service. I think I recall you worrying about just this issue, when you wrote a while back about cleaning out your FIL's house. We see these times coming, so why do they take us by surprise? you are nom" slob"....like you said, your standards are pretty high. I think it is just that a lot of days, some of us are like one oar rowing...which only takes us in circles. When you figure out the answer to this one, please let me know....
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Isn't it funny that we (at least me) can go into someone else house like my son & DIL's and start digging in & I don't mind a bit doing it.   I just hope I never make her feel inadequite by doing it.  She just seems to be overwhelmed sometimes and she's such a good mom.  She'll sit & play games with the little ones when I'm sure there are other things she'd rather do.  She works plus keeps up with 3 youngsters' activities, plus bible school.

Now my mom's another matter.  When I called to check on her today she was "dusting" the floor in the garage.

Getting ready to try & hose it down.  Believe me, it's not even dirty.  Can't handle listening to those woes when my garage is full of leaves.  The dog can hardly get around & we have to leave the door open for her.

I'm like you that I'd much rather be outside working in the gardens than cleaning house.   Which is why I get so sidetracked.   

0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

It happens because at any given moment our priorities can change.   We think  we were going to finally deal with the overripe bananas  and then find out that there is need for a parts run.  Maybe there is a sick animal,  we look at the weather forcast and realize that the outside activity HAS to be done now or it won't get done,  someone needs us.   I think we all know that the dust and mess will still be there.   

Linda,  find a person to come in a clean house either everyother week,  or once a month.   It makes you pick it up,  and once all of it is picked up you can go out to the garden or  palor and clean while they clean your house.   Of course it does cause one problem for me...   To get the house  picked up  I pile it in one of the unused bedrooms too often.

turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Suey is on target. Plans can be changed so often when more urgent tasks need our help. I find now that being gone one whole day throws my routine completly out and it takes some time to get back to normal. If it is two days of meetings or errands I hate the build up.  I too spend lots of time outside this time of year in the yard and garden.

I agree with finding cleaning help for every other week, if possible. It is difficult to find a trust worthy person. When I had help if forced me to put things away and get ready for her. I did not clean just put away things out of her way. Best money I spent.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Thanks for input.  The one reason I've put off the cleaning woman is that I'm thinking (procrastinating again) about redoing walls & floor in kitchen.    The flooring is really getting to be an issue as the little scuff marks really collect dirt that won't come up.  Know I should do this while I can do some grilling but what a trial it will be.  I have samples home now so that's a start.  Really dread the mess.  As soon as that's done I'm definitely getting at least once a month help. 

Another thing.  I'm thinking of trying to train my 10 yr. old grandaughter to help me a little.  I know that will be a push but after hiring a Sr. H.S. I realise a lot of kids just don't know how to work well.  She likes spending money & I wouldn't have her do a lot.  Maybe start with helping clean cupboards & woodwork with me.  She is at that inbetween age that she still can't do babysitting on her own and is too old for a babysitter herself.  The little ones go to a sitter where they have some kids to play with.  She goes & sits in front of the TV all day which she already does too much of.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Sidetracked

Having been married to a career railroad man, and as the granddaughter of another, that word has significant meaning to me. A lower-priority train or work crew was pulled onto a siding to allow the mainline to be open for through traffic - in essence, to let something more important run by quickly. Most people use that word without thinking of its origins, or making a mental picture of a set of coal cars sitting still, while a passenger liner rolls by at eighty miles per hour. When you realize what being sidetracked really means, you can see it for what it really is: a conscious choice to set one need aside to address another. Maybe the point is to do what the RR dispatchers do, and admit we have to put the farm first, and housekeeping further down the priority list, and stop feeling guilty for doing so. If we and our families had to leave home for work every day, our houses would easil be SO much neater. Being in and out, grabbing meals, dropping filthy work boots and clothes, is something only farm women get to deal,with daily. I think that planning out a lot of the mess is the best way to go, rather than having to constantly clean up behind folks. Our back room is the dirty drop zone. It doesn't catch everything, but it does end up as the landing pad for a lot of it. Making new habits can be painful at first, but reduces stress over the longer run. Men are trainable, if not easily tamed.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You could get the cleaning lady, or your granddaughter, to do areas other than the ones you want re- done. Really, though, routine cleaning has to be performed, even on old floors with scuffs, anyway. I have new flooring fro our big bath/ laundry room already bought and stacked, but I still sweep and mop the ratty old flooring it will replace. I think teaching a ten- year- old how to methodically clean a room, then a whole house, is a super idea. She is physically big enough to do the work, and kids that age would rather work with an adult than be told to go play. Try to teach her to save as well as earning some spending money...she will be developing a set of skills that will allow her tom earn a LOT when she gets a bit older. I know oje. Kid who put himself through UVA with his grass cutting money.
0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

When my second daughter was in college and  living in a house with 4 or 5 other girls she would get so disgusted.  Said these girls haven't got any idea how to clean.  She finally told them she would do the bathrooms all the time because she couldn't stand a gross bathroom and all they ever did when it was their turns was wipe around a little bit.

My house is a never ending battle with sand and sawdust.  That is what the cattle are bedded with and it is incredible how much comes in on us.

Summer is even worse.  We don't have AC and ever since we changed to bunker silos and they built the road back to them, which is west of the house, and the prevailing wind is out of the west.  There are days I can see the dust filtering into the house when there is much traffic on that side.  Like when they are hauling out of the manure pits or when they are chopping feed and the big tankers and dump trucks are going back and forth.

0 Kudos