cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

knotty problem for me

A couple of days ago one of our employees proudly showed my husband his new hand gun, while they were moving cows in the barn.

I find this creating a huge dilemma for myself.

I do not in any way want hand guns on my property.  But that said I live in a state that allows concealed carry. 

So the other night hubby simply told him to put it in his car and he did.

I have the right as an employer to not have hand guns on my property.  I spoke to the employee this morning telling him I had heard about it.  I said it won't be back.  He said maybe in my car.  I said it better stay in the car.

Which is exactly what I understand the law says.  I can't stop him from having it in his car but I can stop him from taking it out of his car while at work.  Problem is that isn't good enough for me.  I don't want it here even in his car.

Don't know what I can do.  Want to say you can't fight stupid and the argument has landed on my door step.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: knotty problem for me

Is he a responsible person?

I just saw a number on tv this morning of the number of US homes that have guns, 32% I believe, down from the 70s and 80s and said to be due to less hunters. I find this hard to believe. DH's friend just told him about two gun shows that he goes to that have 1500 and 3000 tables, guns for sale. That would mean that a few homes have a huge amount of guns which may be true.

Did you see where a couple in NV were denied their request to be foster parents because they have a carry gun permit?  With all the children that need a family home. This is an issue that will be ongoing but many people are expecting the outlawing of guns in the near future regardless on the second amendment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't feel comtortable with the gun on the premises either.  But what can you do? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Interesting that the employee would show your DH.  Do you suppose that was his way of 'asking' if it could be carried on your premise?   

I dunno..  I have mixed feelings about carrying guns.   I agree that your employee should not carry on your property if you say no.     Its not a high risk job or situation.   I think people should have the right to carry if the situation warrants.  

Devils advocate but what if said employee had an abusive ex that has already broke restraining orders, made threats, and done prior harm?...  In the interest of my other employee's  and my own safety, I'd probably opt to have the employee NOT be on my place, but I would understand their percieved need to carry as no one else has protected them.   

Obviously, I'm not in a high risk situation and I don't carry but I've considered it simply because when I'm out and see a coyote bothering cows.... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I too think it is important to think about why he showed the gun.  Was he just proud of a new purchase?Was it to intimate? Is it for his protection on the job or just a new toy?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Certain workplaces exclude guns, concealed or otherwise, by state statute, at least in some states...schools, hospitals, etc. 

I would think that as an employer in the private sector you would have the right to set policy on whether or not they can even be in vehicles on the place.  Your attorney can advise you of this under your state law.  Anything we might say from a different state could be totally wrong in yours. 

As is mentioned, I cannot think why he feels he "needs" a gun at work.  It seems really dumb to have a gun where it isn't needed.  There are people who get some sort of thrill in having a gun on them.  I have a carry permit, but rarely do....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'm on the other side and really do not see a problem as long as he keeps it in his vehicle.  You can put up a sign that says something about banning firearms on the premis but if it's in his vehicle and you don't know about it there's not a whole lot to do about it.  As long as he has a carry permit he can have it in his vehicle.  I have a .9mm that I carry in my work pickup and any time I travel alone.  I've spent hours shooting it and am very comfortable with it but I don't flash it around either. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

He was like a little kid showing off a new toy.  That was the take my husband took.  Anyway he thought it was funny because this guy took a shift off a couple of weeks ago because he was going to get a different car.  Only he didn't have enough for the down payment..   Hubby kind of laughed, apparently the too small car down payment has gone into pistols for him and his wife.  Priorities right?

Didn't call the lawyer, but from what I found out on line.  in this state they can keep their legal guns in their vehicle and we can say not in the work place.

Hubby and son don't really think it's too big of a deal, and probably better to just let it blow over and get old, rather than make a big deal out of it.

Although this is a subject I feel quite passionate about.  I do not agree with carry laws at all.  I don't believe any one needs a gun for anything other than hunting.  Although that is kind of two faced because although hubby rarely hunts any more he does use his shot gun to put down animals when necessary.  He hates it though.

As for any one with a restraining order against someone.  I don't think that is the case with any of our employees.  Certainly hope they would let us know if that was the case.  Only association we've had with that sort of thing is our former DHIA tech's daughter was killed in front of her children by her ex in spite of an order. In the end he was convicted and is still in prison and the tech and his wife are raising the kids.

Several years ago the boyfriend of a girl that worked here showed up here after she kicked him out.  Son was able to get between her and him and make him leave the property.  Thankfully the kid was just a blow hard and no real danger.  But son pretty much knew that or he would have called the cops rather than confront the guy himself.  I didn't know about it till it was over or I'm sure I would have been a basket case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

My observation goes back to the conversation we jad aboit cell phones a few days ago. Some folks cannot hold onto money, waiting to earn more. It is a matter of not being able to delay gratification.

When their money ( tax refunds?) didnt immediately make a down on the vehicle they wanted/needed, they spent it, instead of saving it and adding to it over time. Of course, if the one they have now breaks down, there will notbe money on hand to fix it, unless they sell/ pawn the guns.

Guns are a big - deal purchase to people who never could afford one before. May be what tied into his showing it off. If he is otherwise an okay egg, and state law upports his decision to have it in his car, I guess you decide whether he is a good-enough employee for you to get over it.

I think you and I have agreed to disagree on the matters of carry permits and gun rights.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Can you make certain that his vehicle is secure while on your property? That would, at minimum, keep visitors and children from easy temptation. Someone could break a window and retrieve it, but sometimes that is all is needed to teach someone a lesson. 

0 Kudos