cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

losing my focus

Had to take mom into the ER this morning.  Always hate when the phone rings at 6:30 a.m.  Not much good can come from that. 

Hopefully she is on the mend now after fluids & Zofran.

Why does it take so long to get anything done in the ER?  Only time it was quick was my finger cut from the hedge sheer.  I think partly due to the dr. on call that day.  Even though I can see the dining room table cluttered, and dishes to put away, etc. I come in after being gone and sat down with a book.  Of course I made two more trips into town to check on her so what can you accomplish?

I need to make a list.  Maybe break it into small jobs of 15-30 minutes and another list of big jobs (the ones I'll probably never get done)  Maybe then I could see some headway.  I just lose my days.  Having this pup distracting me doesn't help either.  He is VERY playful and wants attention.  With the warmer weather maybe he can be outside a bit more now.  Anyone else have ADD when it comes to broken days?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: losing my focus

Oh yes. It's even worse after all these treatments. But I try to laugh about it instead of stewing on it. Doesn't do much good and much more harm. Lists work good as long as they can be found. Maybe even a calendar of routine jobs might help so you can see what is the most important thing to get done that day. I think you thought you needed to relax was more important than clearing the table so it's not all bad. Agree with you about the ER--daytime is the worst, is it possible to get a standing order for your mom for the fluids so you don't have to go through there and just have to go to infusion room at hospital instead?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Linda, I had to laugh...nkt because your Mom is sick, of course, but because I have gotten so fifteen minutes seems like an eon to get something done to me. I have been largely operating on the attention span ofan infant/toddler/preschooler for over three years now.

I am sometimes amazed at what I can get done during the seven minutes or so of a " Caillou" cartoon. Yesteday, it was the crockpot meal for our supper. It is possible for me to flip the laundry loads for the day and fold what's dry in well under five minutes, even with his " help".

When you break it down, most chores are possible to accomplish in short bits or bursts. This 365 Day Declutter Challenge calendar has taught me a lot about dissecting a chore into scraps of time. Some days, the task may just be " deciding" how you will be doing something in days to come...example, deciding how to organize recipes.

I was really encouraged to hear you were hiring help for care for your Mom while she is recuperating. You know, it might not be bad to do that a day once a week. I really noticed how nice it was when the kids were just on their vacation, to have one day before the snow trapped us inside/ in place, just to have time to get my toenails done.

If you are really serious about decluttering, I honestly recmmend that challenge. If you join, you can print the calendars...this is a paperwork month,mostly...we already addressed kitchens and food storage pantries/ refrigerators/freezers, recipes, and March is more about PAPER.

There is nothing to say you have to do the message boards, although that is a wonderful bunch of mostly women. Just like we have ag in common, that group has being " organizationally challenged" as a common thread. I have gotten scads of good ideas from the sharing there.

You would get daily reminders, if you like the FB page, and there is an email element, too. It is entirely possible to start now and follow the paperwork tasks, fifteen minutes per day, and either go back and catch up, or just roll on through the kitchen stuff next January and February.

I actually think I will participate in the challenge, at least to some extent, from now on. It is very neat to have reminders and ideas/articles to help you think things through, and even a good system in a clean house might be made better. It's gotten the worst of my house and pffice done in two months...that says a lot!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Starting the day off like yours did can really mess me up too. I like to get my regular routine done in the morning because I have trouble coming home and getting much done. After that stressful morning I think you deserved to sit down and regroup with a book.

0 Kudos