cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

meals/workers

Fed my 2 guys yesterday lunch & lunch/supper (pizza from Casey's) plus the the 2 that came w/the neighbor doing the silage.  Must have looked pretty tough yesterday or else he had mercy on me and took a turn bringing food for lunch.  His wife made a peach pie (looked really good-I was a good girl & held back) and bar b Q pork burgers.  Only one each and he brought one extra worker today so I drug out the lunch meat from yesterday too.  Those young guys have to have extra so they don't fall in a heap.  Even so I really appreciated the meal.  Never had bar b q burgers before.  Don't know why I didn't think of it as they seemed to be really good.  Browned pork burgers in a bar b q sauce.  kept them moist while waiting for the guys to get in.  I added the fresh slaw I made from the garden & tomatoes so I think they were OK. 

Anybody else have any tried & true meals?  It's hard to have it ready whenever they get the load unloaded & come in.  Know we've done this before but maybe some new tricks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: meals/workers

we've had grilled pork patties w/bbq sauce-  pretty good stuff.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

i made homemade sloppy joes with ground turkey. Very few ingredients, easy and delcious. I will never buy Manwich again.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

My crowd is into wraps now. 

I buy good deli - Black Forest ham, some sort of sliced turkey or chicken breast (the spicier, the better), and some good Swiss and hot pepper cheeses.  I shred a head of iceberg lettuce with one of those plastic lettuce kinves, so as not to bruise any that is left over, and lay that out on the counter on the veggie cutting board.  All the deli is easy to lay out, too. 

You can find all sorts of flatbreads now, and use any favorite type of dressing...mayo, ranch, honey mustard, etc. Set out a good selection.  I give them a plate with a flatbread on it, and let them pile them and roll them up, then cut them in half, crosswise.  Lay out a knife for that use, too. 

Set out chips and Cheetos, and plenty of iced tea and cold drinks. 

Yesterday, they all wanted leftover pulled pork that was minced from takeout place back home supper the night before.  Slaw and baked beans for sides.  YUM!

Pork is great for pickup lunches, since it is good hot or cold.  Smithfield country ham on white bread with mayo is fit for a king.  Biscuits and ham are good anytime of day or night. 

I get into a binge of chicken salad on croissants with lettuce leaf, or egg salad on toasted loaf bread with letuce leaf, every so often, too.  As long as they have their chips and drinks, they get plenty full, and are satisfied. 

Fresh fruit this time of year makes for cobblers here...a quart of fruit/berries/cherries in the bottom of your pan, with 1 cup each of sugar ( more if using sour fruit), all purpose flour, and milk, all aprinkled over the fruit, plus one stick butter cut up on top.  With some fruits, I also sprinkle on some ground cinnamom.  Bake at 350 until the crust rises and turns golden brown. 

Experiment with combinations of fruits and berries, too.  Hard to go wrong. Excellent with vanilla ice cream...this is the only baking Mike will do by himself, too. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Never did like manwich although I tried to.  Seemed so simple but alwys went back to tried & true recipe.

I love wraps but my family thinks I'm strange.  The bagger fella is REALLY picky.  My neice is friends of his kids & she talks about it-sometimes I bounce menu ideas off her about him. 

They will finish up after lunch, God willing, so today will be last meal.  They went late last night, even though DH wanted them to quit while he milked.  He doesn't like to see them work too late with the wagons as it seems something always breaks.  Had to make a fast dash for more pizza again as DH said they would be quitting by 6.  Didn't happen.

I lay out like you, Kay, with the lunch meat fixins and different breads & spreads.  Made brownies last night but edges got a little hard so I don't know about them.  Maybe with ice cream?  Have a little leftover pizza too so might have a variety today.  Want it cleaned up if possible.  Sounds like "take it or leave it"!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I heard a speaker who routinely serves meals in the field. She uses a variety of crock pots, coolers (for hot and cold) baskets ready with all needed supplies etc.  She uses a set of menus and has it don't to almost a science. She makes a lot of the food and also relies on some mixes and frozen items. Keeps things hot by pre-warming the coolers. She keeps the help well fed and serves pies and clobblers with ice cream too with the help of ice packs and coolers.

0 Kudos