cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

**** now my blood pressure is up, my sugar will be al screwed up, and I'm too wound to go to bed ...

This tripped my trigger

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/westboro_baptist_church_plans.html

I don't like protesting at a military funeral.  It's wrong.  But as a friend commented one time, everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot.  But showing up at the funeral of 7 kids lost in a house fire.  I'm ... I better not say anything that could be used as evidence.

I tell my Sunday School kids James 1:19 tells us to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. I'm having trouble doing what I tell my kids to do. I've already checked, it's 630 miles from here to there.  I only have one thing on my calendar and it isn't critical. Wonder how much bail money I would need to take?

I suspect if Jesus were to show up at this funeral He'd make clearing the temple look like walk in the garden.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: **** now my blood pressure is up, my sugar will be al screwed up, and I'm too wound to go to bed

I do not know how those people salve their supposedly Christian conscience.  Certainly sounds like a vendetta occuring at the expense of that poor family.  I have lived through losing a child and cannot imagine how one would cope in a situation like this.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: **** now my blood pressure is up, my sugar will be al screwed up, and I'm too wound to go to bed

Where do these people get their money for the transportation to the funerals? How about the money used to defend their actions in court? It can't all be pro bono, can it? What does this church do to help the poor in their local area? In many ways, they are no different than the animal rights groups. Plead for help for one thing and wind up smearing all churches in the process.

0 Kudos
Advisor

mike, if you go and get yourself in a pickle, I will chip in for your defense.  These people have finally established their right to free speech.  Now, it just looks mean for them to continue with this plan. 

I personally think that if the damned media would stop covering their outrageous behavior, it would diminish quickly.  These antics are just meant to draw attention to themselves.

Just like a tantrum-throwing toddler manipulates his parents, they are an embarrassment to our nation.  I have walked away and pretended not to know my adored firstborn two-year-old child, just to let him know he did not control me. I didn't have to walk far, and I only had to do it once. 

I think we would be far more effective by letting our news statiosn know that we do NOT want to see these fools on their reports...but, if you feel you HAVE to go, you know where to reach me!

0 Kudos
Advisor

Why did the ACLU people support this church in their free speech fight?  Isn't this church actually gay bashing in their delusional ranting?  Isn't this hate speech?  I thought hate speech against protected classes was illegal.  

You have to ask yourself why, when the ACLU folks insert themselves into anything that could remotely be considered hate speech, they take the opposite side on this issue.

Let me get this straight...the ACLU fights to prevent children from wearing crosses to school, arguing that the crosses are the same as a gang symbol, but they have no problem supporting the "rights" of a group that is travelling all over the country with their anti-gay message?  What gives?

I think they are selectively outraged....if standing up to hate speech is in their best interests they do it.  If it disrupts a military funeral or the funeral of a Christian family, they look the other way.

I think this selective outrage by the ACLU is designed to make all Christians look bad.  It is in their political interest to have this group of kooks out there as a poster child for all of "those right-wing conservative Christians who want to take over your life...."

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When was the last time media had their entire newscast or paper full of happy stuff. Sorry to say, but BAD sells. A clothing malfunction, a drunk or drugged movie star, even a tragedy like in Japan pays the bills. Smiley Sad

On a side note, wasn't it one of their preachers going to burn the Koran? Surprised that a death edict wasn't followed. Publicity stunts or not, they like to keep the world on their toes?

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have been informed by the resident news junkie that my world view is far too gloomy lately.  I know it has gotten a lot worse since I have been stuck at home with constant TV and  the Internet. 

Of course, he is engrossed in "The Colony" right now, which is a post-apocalyptic reality show, so "do as I say, not as I do!" seems to be his philosophy. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

no I don't think the nut in Florida was associated with the Westboro group.  I heard a news commentator, sorry don't know which network say that Westboro is basically a hate filled family that has figured out how not to pay taxes.  Implying that they are not really a church.

0 Kudos