cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

"Call me Caitlyn" & ramblings

All I can say is that I wish I looked as good as the former Bruce Jenner does on that "Vanity Fair" cover! Wow! Times have sure changed....

The rains did finally arrive here in Dinwiddie last night. Our gauge had 1.8 this morning, but I see some areas posting over five, with gauges topped over.

As usual, the first few storms split and rolled around us on both sides...very frustrating. Mike had hauled up the last four cows, and I drove up after daughter retrieved Winn yesterday afternoon. He was sitting on the porch, watching and fuming sbout it when I arrived.

While we were enjoying " So You Think You Can Dance", the bottom dropped out. It rained hard off and on for several hours, as clouds passed over. I do not think we got the hail...most seemed east of us. Our vehicles are out in the open here, so thank goodness for that.

We rush to get them under various sheds in Carolina. Do you guys get hail very often? It is not unusual at all here...need to consider a car shed....

Mike is out on the Mule, checking the cows. i laughed when he said they trailed him around the pasture, from gate to gate, yesterday, after he dropped the last four. He had given me grief about them rushing the gates on me Friday. I would call yesterday "turnabout is fair play"!

Do you ever wish a little piece of karma on your significant other?

Yesterday was the official beginning of hurricane season. Mike has started the real lagoon lowering activity in earnest. We get to go a certain distance below the stop pump mark in Carolina, thanks to lessons learned in previous storms.

Generally, this work falls into our driest part of the late spring and summer. I have asked him to pump hard the days we are there, and help me a bit with my projects while we are here. We have a couple of weeks before the new hay feeders arrive.

That is the newest acquisition...took some research last week I think it helps to be exhausted from haying, when you are picking your hay feeders...you are more inclined to buy a better feeder that wastes less hay. Looking forward to seeing them here and assembled.

We finally seem to have agreed on where the winter feeding/ sacrifice area belongs. I said put it in the pasture surrounding the haybarn. He was thinking of using the old barnyard. I floated my points sbout how much faster feeding would be, without having to haul every bale roughly half- mile, and this area is better drained, too.

Way less mucking up the pastures between. The grazing tenant really rutted up some spots. We can always move, if the place I suggested proves wrong.

Do you notice that men tend to be less flexible about things like that? If Mike makes his mind up about something, it is like concrete sets in around it. I guess my approach now is to do some delaying on letting the concrete set...just try to keep his mond open a while longer, to let another idea have a chance to rise to the top.

Was the same thing with the feeders...we started researching them, found these " Cadillac" ones online, and started making comparisons. Sort of boiled down to $$ now v $$ wasted from now on. We tend not to factor in hay costs as well as we shoukd, since we are going to make the hay, regardless.

We wasted enough to buy one of these feeders last year alone. As the herd grows, the wasted tonnage would only accelerate. Then, too, if you have the hay and do not waste it, you can push your herd a bit bigger, for more return on the property. Factoring everything in is sort of my function here.

Good to know ehat you are good for, I guess.

More rain coming our way this week. Might be glad we live on a hill here!

Have a great week, all!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
SLC
Senior Contributor

Re: "Call me Caitlyn" & ramblings

The former Bruce Jenner is hardly recognizable.   Wow...       

We have had weeks of rain in what the weather guys are saying its one of the top (#7?) wettest Mays in recorded history..  We were able to finish corn planting and get the first cutting of alfalfa off of about half the acres before it cut loose.   It stopped all field activity for several weeks.   There was a short span where DH got about 100 acres of beans planted but got rained out.   He put hay down on Sunday - he rarely works on Sundays..  and yesterday was his first day back in the field planting and he said it is still marginal.  Today should be better but it is overcast and threatening rain again.  I know I shouldn't complain because we will be wanting this in July..     but still..    

Our state breed assn cattle show is this coming weekend so the kids have been busy clipping and such.  I have worries that the heifers will have sore feet or foot rot with the conditions we've had.   We can't even get the barn cleaned like we'd like to.      We try to have the youngest DD show the gentlest calf .. and we thought we had that done this year..   but two days ago her heifer decided she can get away from her, so trying to deal with that.   She of course is as good as gold with everyone else.    Unfortunately we can't switch as entries were made a few weeks ago.   On top of that, DS decided he wanted to show a big fall 2013 bred heifer that he owns ... she was tied up a few times as a weanling but then basically turned out.   So his project was to get her in about a month ago - when the rain started - and halter break her.   She may be better than DD's little heifer that's been worked with so much.   ugh.   We will leave the state show on Sunday, stop by the house to drop off a couple heifers and reload feed and head to the Junior Regional show.    It may just be the two DD's that go tho as DS & I might stay home to help farm.. due to the earlier weather delays.   

Our cows will follow the mule .. especially if you call them first.    They will also follow the bale bed pickup to the ends of the earth.     A trailerload of cattle always brings them running.   When we are working them to wean calves or sort them back, the older cows know the system.   

0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

I had to laugh at your karma!   My problem is that it usually ends on me!   LOL!!

Hay feeders..  we try to buy the best built ones we can.  Many of the hay savers types just don't last and if they are broken or bent, they aren't saving hay anyway.   I'm not sure what brand we are using now, they are extremely heavy.  The guy that services our baler and bale bed sells them.   So far they have lasted several years with no signs of breakage.     Our biggest haysaver though has been the S.I Feeders.   Ours are set up to feed ground hay and silage, but if the sides are changed a bit, big rounds can be fed in them.  They can be pulled out of the corrals and filled where the feed is processed and pulled back full.   Very little waste with these.

I don't think I'd like hurricane season..   that is something we definitely don't live with around here.. but we are in tornado season and that is bad too.     

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I always say that Karma is a big old B...!

The heifer probably senses that your DD is nervous, and no one else is. i always say to default to safety, if there's a chance she'll beat her up.

Mike, bless his heart, helped me run the front loop of drip irrigation this morning. As we cotemplated the back set, I decided to wait until Thursday to tackle it. Got inside and made great salads for lunch, with leftover grilled chicken, as planned. He's mowing the lawns here in Va now...got the one in NC done before we left yesterday. More rain on the way for both places. On,y question mark is how much my farms got in between! Need to set up a gauge there.

The biosolids are coming there in June, probably here in July. Sounds sort of innocuous, but that could mean a honking September cutting. These farms in Va were on the tailend of a third-year application pattern. The thought of a huge fall cutting sort of scares me! At the same time, that would be a great way to be sure we'd get these goobers through the winter.

Hope the show goes well for you guys.

Hurticane season ofyen spawns a lot of torbados,do the best of both worlds, I guess...thus, the Safe Sheds on our farm down south. Git a little basement here to hole up in.
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: "Call me Caitlyn"

Regardless of where you stand on this, the media has again blown this out of proportion.  Youth have enough confusion in today's world, also some older souls, and to have this slammed at us from TV & front page publications continuously is over the top.  

His decisions but not front page.

I love the show Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood because it's interesting & uplifting.  Wish there were more like it.

SLC
Senior Contributor

Linda,  That is so true.   Its worth noting but why is his decision to change more important than some of the other things going on in the world.   

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The thing is, we seem to live in a celebrity cult era. This ebbs and flows, but it seems worse than anytime in my lifetime to me right now.

I lisyen to the " Thomas Jefferson Hour" on NPR occasionally. Yesterday, in the " interview", the Jefferson character made the point that in his day, even the President couldn't directly address more than a crowd of people at one time. Privacy was a given, and valued.

Now, I think the famous and wannabe famous have publicists that try to get their names out, good or bad hardly seems to matter which. Outrageous conduct is this encouraged, to get noticed.

I feel for anyone with gender identification issues. They are about now where gay and lesbian people were a generation ago. There is a lot of confusion and misinformation about the spectrum of male to female, and every shade in between. Then, too, gender isn't sexual orientation, and vice versa.

I have a very open attitude about people living their lives their way, as long as they don't force it on everyone or anyone else. I am sure that when I decked out in some of my workclothes, there were people who wondered about my preferences...how about you? Never have been girly-girl, and tend to understand how men think in general...very much a jock and aggressive in sports and other pursuits.

I hope Caitlyn Jenner is happy, healthy, and enjoys this shot of fame. Like most of you, I wish it was not getting so much airtime and print, in a period when many more issues need our attention.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

I feel like anytime I read anything having to do with the Kardashians  I loose at least one IQ point.   If not for the Kardashians  Catilyn  would be nothing  more than a former olympian.    I spelled "that name"  twice   much more and I'll be verified  stupid. 

SLC
Senior Contributor

I had no idea what a Kardashian even was when I first started hearing about keeping up with the kardsashians.   I wondered what they were..       I don't understand why anyone would want to watch that show but someone must.   I know its supposedly reality, but really wouldn't it be more interesting to follow a day in the life of anyone else?

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Jenner can go to Wellesley now.

http://www.wellesley.edu/news/gender-policy/communityletter

The women's college says if you say you are a woman, you are a woman.  More or less.

0 Kudos