cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

"Posthenge" & ramblings

Even in 96- degree full sun yesterday, we got the greenhouse posts all set in concrete. It has been eons since Mike and I laid off a building together, relying on hired labor for the last few projects. He is very good at building square and level. To be honest, I had never really noticed how good he is at it before. Miserable as it was out there, he made sure every post was set just so.

Now, we count the sticks and note the lengths of lumber on hand - have enough for the plates, and then a few rafters. I have a rough idea how many more we need to buy, but pride myself on " next to no waste", so will be honing the shopping list. He says we will take his truck by Lowe's for it on our next trip up.

Going to chase down fasteners, and see if he can tune up the nail gun ( so much faster than screws!), too. I mostly want the two exterior walls of this L-shaped space done, so the containers can be set in place for fall garden planting, which atarts early in August here.

The skeleton needs to be done, so the pressure-treated lumber doesn't warp out of shape in the sun. Roofing with the poly sheets and closing in the walls can wait. The drip system has to have some supports run along above the pot row, too. Going to be fun!

We are sort of rushing back to Carolina today. As always,when we start using a particular trailer, that seems to be the same one the kids need, to deliver their hay. Sharing equipment gets to be a bind sometimes, but we work it out somehow.

The annual flowers here are really letting me down, for the most part. Petunias in the herb spiral and some little things I cannot recall by name, right by the back walk, are notable exceptions.

Anyone else notice this so far this spring? Guess it was too cool and now turning too suddenly hot....

Might have hit a couple with Roundup. I am trying to wean myself off that easy crutch. Two reasons..., well, given the collateral damage, three:drift, potential health impacts, and the weight of the backpack really takes a toll on my knees.

I realized yesterday, stooping over to pull up a couple of crabgrass sprigs, the stretch when I do that is exactly the one my trainer recommends for opening up the sciatic nerve channel. Two birds with one stone? Between this and the sharp scuffle hoes, things are staying about as well-weeded as usual.

If anyone wants my crown, I am planning to resign as Roundup Queen. We'll see how that turns out, as the wiregrass hits its prime in July....
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Suey73
Advisor

Re: "Posthenge" & ramblings

I'm keeping my roundup.  In fact  I also do 2-4-D  to try and keep the thistle out of our yards. We own a backpack sprayer but I prefer my little 2.5 gallon pump ups.  Just keep going back for refills.  The backpack sprayer was too big and difficult to get off and on for me.     I think this fall we will do a serious spray of the yards.   We have so many weeds showing up that it is about to kill off the grass.    My DH  soil sampled the yard once.   We could easily grow 200 bu corn on it. So the weeds seem to grow quite  well.    I've gotten 3 raseberries planted,  who knows when I can get more planted.   Suppose to rain for the next 5 days. 

Right now we are up to our elbows in cherries.   Did another gallon of them yesterday and probably another gallon to do today. 

One project I'm working on next door is the closet under the stairs.   For years the thing has stunk. First we painted it  and that helped a lot.   After taking up the old carpet  I found the culprit. (I know that mice had been known to die in there.)  There was a carpet remnent just close enough to replace it .  Now once I get a 1"X 10"  to cover a wall/plaster mess I think I'll be able to keep the mice out of the place.   My hope is to make it the toy storage area.  Dingy dusty pink  has been replaced with white and light auqua.  Spray painting the shelves  tourquoise.  Kind of slow doing with a utility knife and test and try again to see if I got it right.   Just another thing the in-laws had just left and lived with. 

Time to get ready for church.   Don't feel like dressing up today.  I think it is a jeans and nice shirt day today. 

Oh,  and trying to keep the pigs cool but not letting the storms blow rain in on the feed in the feeders.   Have a good day all.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Your toy closet sounds great.  I love turquoise and aqua...have thrown in a bunch of both with Jenna's pink in the kitchen.  It is a very retro color, isn't it? 

It is amazing what we do "live with", isn't it?  I know I work around things that would be simple and cheap to fix, but just stumble around them instead.  Have tried toweed out a few of the worst ones, this year, but I guess there is always a list of things that could be better. 

It's like the bottom ten percent in every herd.  You raise the bar, but there is always tweaking to do....

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Kay I noticed the same thing this week. Picking strawberries just about did me in but I have found that bending over to pull weeds is now much easier due to the stretching so it was worth it with the berries.

As we get older more things are left undone due our bodies not working as well as would we like. We have to just live with it.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

.When I went to lunch with my friend yesterday, our favorite place was on vacation so she talked me into going across the street to a pizza place she said had a salad bar.  A bowl of iceburg lettuce & a few tomatoes along with salty ravioli soup and pizza buffet.  Bad place for a WW.  I just made goal AGAIN so I had a hard time of it.  Ended up eating some pizza as I was starving.

So when I got home I pulled the push mower out and started in.  Don't know how many calories I burned up but the sweat was dripping.  Should do that more often.

Just did Roundup here last week but with the rains I'm not sure how well it did. 

0 Kudos