cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

sad situation

Our school/little towns are sad right now, awaiting news about a little kindergarden child.  Not sure of exact details but evidently his parents got up to find him in the morning after he put a small bouncy ball in his mouth & got it sucked into his windpipe.  He was blue, not breathing but there was a hearbeat.  Rescue unit took him to local hospital where he was life flighted to Peoria.  So far there has been no response from him & they are going to take him off any life sustaining measures today.  He was in my DIL's Cub Scout pack.  Our grade school principal sent letters to the children & parents yesterday, explaining he would not be at school for awhile.  (until we know different)  My heart breaks for these parents.  He had not been up alone long.  Such a freak incident.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: sad situation

I always hated those stupid little bouncy balls and did not allow them when the kids were little.  Oh the older ones would get mad when I would throw them away but I always did as soon as I found any of them.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We had a young man that was in a car with his friends, just driving around town (apparently fast) and they missed a corner and hit a tree stump.  The young man was eating at the time and I think the food lodged in his throat and something about him vomiting and it going back into his lungs.  His parents were told that there was no brain waves and he would pass.  Apparently within 24 hours he came "back".  Was in a coma for quite awhile.  Couldn't talk or walk. Was strapped in a high back wheelchair.   Now he is back to driving and easy running.  (he was a cross country runner in high school). Amazing what the doctors can do.  I know this month is organ donor month.  We are between two sad days from 2 years ago when my son's classmates passed from the ATV accident.  One died that night and one died two weeks later.  I don't know how long they were keeping him alive just to harvest his organs.  So sad when you hear about these things and the little boy who is in your heart.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Choking hazards are probably my biggest fear in keeping Winn, and I agree with just throwing a lot of stuff away when they aren't looking. I am so sorry to hear about this little boy.

We have a young grade school boy who was crushed by a falling cemetery monument at their church, when he scrambled up to do a tombstone rubbing. His poor parents and older sister were right there, had to see his head crushed. He was medflighted to Pitt Cpunty for the ECU medical school. It has been weeks of watching and waiting, but he is starting to show some signs of responding.

This is when I believe their souls are stuck " in between." I have gotten so I think that some never come all the way back, or some parts of them never do. The brain deprived of oxygen is such a curious thing. I will concentrate on hoping that this little guy can find his way back to his family.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We also had similar incident with an adult man from our town who was a carpenter.  Was working alone, and the nails he was holding in his mouth were somehow sucked down into his windpipe.  They didn't find him until he didn't come home for dinner.

0 Kudos