cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: shingles

The vaccines would be different. Mike was told the shinglesvaccine is recommended for ages dixty snd up...our M.d offered it to him at 58, and he took it.

As our old family doctor explained shingkes to me, the chicken pox, once you have had it, usually as a child, resides in one branch of your nervous system. It can arise at different points as shingkes, but will be so ehwere along that branch every time.

Our older daughter had a small spot of shingles once on her upper left arm, a spot of itchy bumps about the size of a nickel. This was during middle school, when some of her best buddies were breaking out with chicken pox, which she had had during kindergarten.

The doctor said the Re-exposure to the kids with sctive chicken pox ( this was before that vaccine was released, too) has stimulated her shingkes outbreak. Certainly, the two vaccines are related...wonder if kids with childhood chicken pox vaccination will require shingles shot in later life? Too soon to know, I suppose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You can Google questions about the shingles vaccine. From Mike's recent shot, it is supposed to be for age sixty and up, but he was offered it at 58, and elected to go ahead and have it. The doctor said it would confer lifetime immunity. He didn't discuss effectiveness rates...most vaccines have their limits.

Here is a quick link:http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-vaccine
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I think in my case it could have been a reaction to stress.  Uptight from church activities, a co chairman who consistantly trashes our church & priest, and my mom becoming more & more dependent.  And trying to work in the trip which probably won't happen now.

I have to go back next week & I intend on asking about the shingle vaccine-if I can get it & when.  I am concerned about nerve issues due to the problem with my broken wrist but I'm trying to put it out of my mind & pray.

Still can't believe my luck on this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I don't think it is contagious, but you might want to ask doctor if your outbreak presents any risk to triggering it in others. I used to carry a fever blister with hormonal changes every month, lived on Valtrex for years to control that...one thing I don't miss anymore.

If I get really worn down, try to do too much anymore, it will break again. The immune system is such an interesting thing. Mine kicks my butt like this occasionally...sounds like yours is doing it, now.

BTW, since you wrote about this the other day, I have felt itchy all over!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Dr. said contagous only to infants & pregnant mothers.  Most others have had chicken pox or vaccine.  Guess at age 60 or so you must need a booster.  Drying up on some of the first ones but the rest are still itchy.  And have felt kind of flu like with headache which is what the internet said.  Wish he would have recognised it on Mon. instead of Wed. so I could have been started on medication sooner.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Linda, I sure hope you are feeling better soon! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I believe the Dr. at Rochester, Mayo, said shingles is a type of herpes.   jps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I guess.  I know it is considered a virus and that's probably the reason for my feeling crappy.  Went to mass this morning mainly to see my grandson, 8, at his first altar serving along with his sister.  We had a missionary priest come & say mass & his program and it was so long & boring as the priest was so softspoken you could barely hear him.  I really felt sorry for Sam but he hung right in there, bless his heart.   His mom had a bad cold too & I wasn't in best form but we felt we needed to be there.  Dad had to work. 

They are drying up but some still itchy.  I'm so very grateful that I had such little pain and that they didn't go into my eye.  Another reason to go bend the knees at church.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Glad you are feeling better, Linda.  Stress and overtired can inhibit recovery.  Please get some rest so this doesnt drag on into the holidays.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Shingles are dried up now.  The ones on my eyelid were the worst.  Scary.  My cousin's friend got them & they went IN the eye.  They are checking him closely as he is a candidate for glaucoma now.  Then he got them a 2nd time.  Awful!!

I've heard of so many people lately that have gotten shingles; it's like an epidemic.  Got the bill for DH's vaccine & it was $215 but small price to pay for your vision.

Don't understand why the insurance companies don't pay as a preventative vaccine.  I have to wait 4 months as I understand.  The surprising part is how tired, no exhausted, you feel AFTER the breakout.  May have to buy a new sofa I've spent so much time on it.

0 Kudos