cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

signs of aging

Mowed the front yard and side yard this afternoon.  Last week hubby mowed them and I did the back yard.

OMG  got off the lawn tractor and could hardly walk.  Side yard is a bit rough.  Sort of wish he'd just make it part of the field.

Course maybe the fact that a calf butted me the other day and just about broke my tail bone has something to do with it.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Advisor

Re: signs of aging

I just stated today  that I think they are making the wooden pallets  for the seed corn companies  heavier.   I struggled to load and unload on today.  Took everything I had to move them.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Lifting dead weight does seem tougher now. I fought to get a 42-pound sack of cat litter into the house last week. Makes me wonder how I could ever lift 100-pound land plaster sacks, when I only weighed 115 myself!

Other signs: I need a warm shower in the morning to loosen my joints, instead of one at night to help me sleep. Things I used to eat or drink and not kiss a beat would nearly kill me now...especially anything greasy.

When I use a really vigorous hand dryer in a public restroom, it blows the skin in waves across my bones. A friend once told me, when you reach a certain age, one day when you look down at your feet, your mother's feet have been stuck onto your ankles.

The term " cute shoes" takes on a whole new meaning, too. Shorts don't really need to be all that short anymore.

Without my bifocals, I am functionally blind for reading purposes. My memory isn't really all that bad, but I do not trust it as much anymore.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I just realized the sign I like probably the least. Never have been a morning person, but I don't feel good when I wake up some mornings now...just stiff, achy, vertigo still sporadically bothering me. Usually worse after a day on the road, like yesterday.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My arthritis has really kicked in this year.  Of course, my hand is so stiff in the morning.  Still find it hard to undrstand how my hand is the single most difficult part of my breaking my wrist.  Oh I know it's attached to my wrist, and the nerves etc. involved.  But the wrist is doing quite well.

Anyway, for the rest of my body.  I have to take a half dozen stilted steps before I can actually take off & walk.

Gardening hasn't helped.  Truly need to decide to downsize there.

Also not as sharp mentally although I had to start on allergy meds yesterday so they make foggy minded.

My get up & go has got up & left.  Disgusting that I have NO zip.  My mom can outdo me although I have a longer day.  But from my view point, everything looks like a mountain.

Skin on my arms and legs looks like loose alligator skin.  Also disgusting.  Hair is also thinner.  Always been very thick but the brush I use tells the tale. 

This is a depressing post!  LOL

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I truly understand how you feel. Me too! I could write the same description. I still think it is mostly from the the surgery meds. I was to get a spinal block but the surgery took too long and I also had a the regular type. I just have no stamina.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

One thing I remember my MIL complaining about when she was my age was not being able to sleep through the night. I get up once, usually about 3:45, and then fall back to sleep. The only thing that truly screws up my rest is drinking caffeine too late in the day.

I made the mistake of having iced tea with a salad on the way home yesterday. It was well after midnight before I could finally nod off. Today, I feel limp a limp noodle.

The older I get, the earlier in the day I need to cut off caffeine, to avoid the sleep disruption. Anyone else have this problem?
0 Kudos
Advisor

I must have had one too many today myself.  Why else would I still be up typing?   I try to cut myself off at 1PM.  Sleep is difficult.  I can fall asleep but I wake up several times.  Sometimes I can fall right back to sleep.  Other times.. it is what we call "our sleepy video".   It is video that we have seen and heard so many times that it is boring.   It was Shrek 2, then Pirates of the Caribbean, now it is Star Trek.    Time to go listen to Capt. Kirk and Spock. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I used to keep headphones for the TV, so I could let it lull me to sleep, without disturbing Mike. Our houses are too open to watch TV, while someone is in bed, without them. Just saw a new Roku 3 that has a headphone jack in the remote, so that is a nice option for a $99 streaming device.

I am really bummed this morning. My good knee appears to be out of whack, and my black belt test, which got postponed so my instructor could take his wife to the doctor, is tomorrow morning. Cannot even support my weight on it, walking leaning on the furniture this morning,...GREAT!

Oh, here's another charming side of senior-hood: intolerant innards. Have had to basically give up anything fried or fatty. I am pretty sure a gallstone twinges me when I eat anything that would trigger a bile release. Eating beef causes me to roll and tumble all night...guess I have just lost the digestive enzymes.

Let's not talk about how susceptible I am to every virus Winn gets. Not a pretty sight....
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

How could I forget my personal vane of existence, VERTIGO?!?!? Had it all winter...thought it was leaving like it did last spring, but sinuses from pollen seem to be setting it off again this week. Very debilitating...
0 Kudos