cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

snow

The weather here is a changing, Predicting a large snow storm for tonight and tomorrow. upwards to 19 inches by Sunday night. Will be hunkering down and hoping for the best. Sunday the cold is to move in and be below zero. I am not ready for that kind of cold.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Advisor

Re: snow

Where is "here"?  We are in SW Ohio and we are expecting 2-4 inches on Sunday or Monday with the temps dropping to a low of 6 next week....brrrrrr

Stay warm and safe.

0 Kudos
Advisor

OMG! Nineteen inches is a biggun!

Our weatherman here in NE NC says this is our coldest December on record so far, and next week is supposed to make this one look mild.  I was hoping for a bit of snow this weekend, since the cold is meeting a nor'easter tomorrow, but so far, they are calling for two days of rainfall.  Two day sof nasty, cold rain...YUCK!

Get your snow shovel ready, I guess.  I am sure you guys have a checklist (at least a mental one) that you go down to get ready for real winter like this.  How long does it take to get the farm ready to work around that much snow? 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Yup nasty out right now...wind..ice...snow..not a comforting sound as I sit here at the puter, but I am warm and we don't need to be any where today..dh does have to make the trip to the other farm for all for chores..but boy is it not a lovely site out.

S.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Here is NW Wisconsin. This is predicted to be the biggest snow storm since Halloween of 1991. That one paralyzed us for a little while. Everyone has loaders or snow blowers for these events. You make sure you have plenty of animal feed and the warm clothes are ready. The shovel is handy and I will be using it around the main entrance of the house pretty soon. DH got a new load of cow feed yesterday to be sure we didn't have to venture out if it lasted too long. Newest prediction is snow continuing on Sunday, wasn't the forecast earlier. DS is singing in the Church Cantata on Sunday so we may all have to squeeze into the "farm truck" smell and all to get to church on Sunday.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I just had tahe RFD channel on.  Their weatherman said this is the coldest air in 2 or 3 years.  Suppose to get cold all the way down to Miami.  We're forecasted for about 8 inches.  Not that big a deal except for the wind that's suppose to come with it.  OH well we've been so mild here.  Guess it's time we get a taste of what others have been dealing with.  I almost feel guilty about how lucky I feel when the weather tracks south of us like it's done for the past couple of years.

Talked to my daughter in Marquette MI.  yesterday.   She said they had blizzardy stuff 3 days this past week and have about a foot of snow on the ground.  Only thing she's unhappy about is her apartment has a real steep driveway and her little Vibe won't make it up it.  She's turning into a real Yupper.  Is that how you spell Yupper?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

North Central Iowa is predicting 6-10 inches of snow here. So far it's been only rain and it's 39 degrees so it's not freezing yet.  With no livestock, getting ready for a blizzard whould be easy. But, we have two neighbors that are absent so often for their off farm job obligations, that my husband has chores to do today for one of them and has been called on repeatedly for the other one in the past.  We finally told the second one that he will have to fix his own bobcat, fix his own tractor and loader and not come and use ours. Last time we had a $3,000 repair bill after he used it! We refused to come over and thaw out a cattle waterer last week because the guy left for days knowing what the temps would be and he didn't put a heater in the waterer! That guys livestock problems are not OUR problems. We chased his cattle all over two sections this fall right in the middle of our harvest because he won't keep his fences repaired.  We have pulled dead calves out of his barn for him because his wife couldn't do it alone and he was "gone" as usual. We've ground feed for him, fixed fence, fixed waterers, taken bales of hay to him when he's run out, the list is endless. We've finally just had it and we're cutting himj off. We're out of livestock now because we don't want the hassles, and it seems he thinks that just gives us free time to take care of his. They even went and tried to get our hired man to come do their chores and didn't want to pay him, because he was already getting paid by us ! Like what's ours is theirs? I sound like a grinch, don't I? I know the economy is not good and this guy needs this off farm job, but he shouldn't have cattle if he can't take care of them without enlisting the neighbors all the time. 

But, right here on our place, all I did was build a nice dog house out of straw bales in an unused shed, took out two automatic dog feeders and put in cat and dog food. I have a heated water bowl in there also. We have an outside waterer that is banked with straw bales and open enough that cats and dog can get a drink there if their bowl should ever run dry.The shed has a doggie door for the pets to get through so they can come and go as they want this winter. Hopefully, they will do their duty outside of the shed this year like they were so good about it last winter.  We have a plastic flap over the door to try to keep the worst of the snow outside, but there is always a small bank of it in there as the shed isn't tight. It has 3 windows though, so it's light in there. I also have a heated pet pad with a large pet taxi on top of it, with an old bedspread over the top of the taxi to trap the heat from the heated pad. The cats go in there, there's only 5 of them all together. The coyotes got all the rest of mine. Smiley Sad  The dog stays in his straw house and they all get along pretty well. At least the dog won't be lonely!

In years past we've had cattle, hogs and sheep. Man, it's a LOT easier now!

0 Kudos
Advisor

It is hard to wean someone off of that much free help.  I would hate to be that  man's wife!

Your pets have a lot of nice places to winter over.  I worry about animals in extreme cold and extreme heat.  I have a 65-pound lump of love stretched out on the chaise by my feet right now. 

Mike's new "adoptee" has her own warm spot and all she can eat in the kennel, with the Heathen.  She's got her spay and shot appointment Wednesday.  Whoever threw her out picked the right spot for her to have a good home. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

You girls have it hard out there.  Snow is not an every-winter event here in NE NC, so we tend to get all excited about it.  I guess it is old hat for all of you.

Our day is turning nasty in a cold, rainy way.  We are getting a system off the Atlantic today and tomorrow.  Probably will be muddy and mucky by this afternoon...gray and gooey!  The really cold air for us is supposed to arrive abotu Tuesday.  Might be the system you guys are "enjoying" right now. 

Our weatherman is showing Jet Stream dips that we rarely see here.  This guy loves snow more than anyone I've ever seen.  Must not have to clear two miles of farm paths for feed trucks and livehaul, you think? 

Mike cranked up the thermostat this morning, and made a nice, hot breakfast on the woodstove.  I have only  two more school days - last test is next Tuesday and final exam Thursday -  so the end of my early departures is in sight for a few weeks.  I am piddling around in the dark - no sun today - and having an extra cup of espresso this morning, too.  Life is good. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I spent some time outside this morning, hunkering down some of the animals.  Got the smaller kennel from garage for smaller inside (kid's) dog and will put the outside dog int he big kennel int he basement

.  Put tarp and bales in for chicken's.  Three got out!  panicked..guys hadn't left for deer hunting yet thank goodness.  Cardboard around bunny cage, but I don't think that is enough.  It is wooden, but wire around three sides with a sleeping area full of straw.  Cattle are in the shed this year, so we can't put the bunny cage in the barn.  We aren't supposed to get too much snow, but 30 degree below zero wind chill!  So back into the deep freeze, hopefully only for a few days. Seems whenever FFA fruit is ready to arrive it is colder than heck!  Wanted to get some baking done and some bookwork done today, but niether done yet.  Forced myself to finish the Christmas tree.  Little dog keeps stealing things off of it!

0 Kudos