cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABCD Farmer
Veteran Contributor

Re: snow

Keep the snow up there!! We had 10 inches last Saturday and don't need another today.  They just can't decide how much we are going to get. Anywhere from 5 to 11 is predicted.  We are getting snow now, but we have had some freezing rain also.  It all depends how much falls as rain or if it gets cold enough to stay as snow. 

I was out and got everything filled up today in anticipation of the cold temps coming tomorrow.  I hate dragging water hoses this time of year, but it is a necessary evil since we started more youngstock this year.  We got the one cow, that looks like she is going to freshen early, into the calving barn, so we won't have to deal with her out in the dry cow lot. 

On the bright side, we are one more day closer to spring!!!

0 Kudos
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

We've been pretty spoiled here in SC Iowa so far, but that's ending today! We haven't had any snow to speak of, but got a dusting this morning and 5-8" predicted tonight with high winds and super cold temps, so we have a blizzard warning. This morning, Jayson and I put out hay for the cattle, filled their water tank, and got the propane tank heater (the best invesmtent ever) installed and running, so the cows will have warm water to drink (and I won't have to go break ice, yay!). We took the boys into the little town south of us to see Santa in the old homesteader log cabin, grabbed a few extra groceries from the co-op station, and headed home to hunker down. I've been baking cookies, and we're just snuggling up today. Church from tomorrow has already been cancelled, so we'll be inside all day tomorrow, which will be nice. Stay warm out there, ladies!

0 Kudos
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

DH got home around 11 this morning and no one has left the house.  No cars have past and at times could not see the shed and it is 150 ft. from the house ...snow blowing straight through the air WICKED!!!!

S.

0 Kudos
suey1973
Senior Contributor

17 degrees right now.   Like Lisa we've only had a dusting of snow so far.     Will have to wait till morning to see if we get anymore snow.   I've done some cleaning and some more decorating.   We've also watched several movies.   Got a fire going in the wood furnace so we're staying warm.      I'm  fixing a birthday dinner for my MIL tommorrow.   I don't think we are going to get to town for  a resturant meal.     Ham Balls,  scalloped potatoes, mandrin orange salad, peas, and german chocolate cupcakes.   Do I need rolls or muffins?  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

Sounds as though you have time to let rolls rise...so I'd vote for rolls. 

Been raining since midday here in NC.  LG and I stretched out on the chaise together and slept off and on most of the afternoon.  Mike did the walkthroughs, sold a load of rams from the farm, and then came in to dry off and fumble around in the back of the house with the woodstove. 

He took out chili from the freezer for our supper, and we laid down together to nap again when that was eaten, about six (God, we are getting old!)

He and his dogs went out to stoke up the boiler a little while ago, and to kennel them up for the night.  .Rain has not let up, a steady drumming on the roof.  I have probably slept eight of last ten hours, and am about ready to turn in again...hope I can sleep eight more!  

Good to be able to stay put and rest for a change.  Next couple of weeks do not present much chance to do either.   

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

Is it "yooper"?  10" in north iowa and a bout -5, i guess. who can tell? wind still blowing, but only around 35, so just ground blizzard. Everything cancelled for Sunday.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

YUPPIE

I think it was derived from the phrase "young, upwardly-mobile professional." and arose right behind (and some would say as a reaction to) the HIPPIEs, so copied that format.  They are philosophically the antithesis to the rejection of materialsim by the hippie movement.  

I tend to think of Yuppies as the epitome' of the eighties, so it is about time for that mindset to revolve to the forefront again.  The back to Earth trend has run for a few years now, and the American people tend to tire of ideas and ideals pretty rapidly.  As one example, the NY Times last Sunday featured fur as a fashion statement again, and it's been a while since you saw much of that. 

0 Kudos
chick06
Veteran Contributor

I have been reading all your post about the snow, all I can say is that 32 right now is not all bad. Remember you have one farm lady in the south, so maybe one winter all of you can come here for a couple of days. I have a fire going and listening to the wind, which is blowing around 40mph, but no snow. It is suppose to get 19 here tonight. Everyone stay safe on the roads and doing chores in the snow. We could all plan a trip to the beach one winter, just thinking out loud.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

Make that two.  We are approaching fifty today, but still dripping rain,l adn the wind is getting up.  Cold due tomorrow, but it would probaly feel like a heat wave to these girls, with what they are going through right now.   

0 Kudos
curley or moe
Veteran Contributor

Snow is over for now, somewhere about 22 inches. The brutal wind has stopped, the temps have dropped and the wind has slowed down at least the snow has stopped blowing severely. The sun is shining so it is pretty outside. Everything has been cancelled. Closed the roads in the county yesterday except for emergency travel. The had close I-94 in Wisconsin for about 150 miles yesterday afternoon. The Vikings/Jets football came has been postponed, Jets stranded in Kansas City Minneapolis airport closed.

Roads are now being plowed out so will have school tomorrow, much to the dismay of the students. Stay warm where ever you arae.

0 Kudos