cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

something finally went the way I wanted

Our youngest is in the Marines.  Left March of 2012.  Is finally done with schooling and has his assignment.  Boot camp was in San Diego, his next leg was in Pensacola Florida and he was there until end of June 2013.   Then a month in San Diego again and now he is stationed in New River North Carolina.

When he left Pensacola he shipped a fairly small box of stuff home.  Didn't want to mess with it because he knew his second stay in San Diego would be short.  So now he wants it shipped to North Carolina.

Last Saturday I take it to town to the small business that packages stuff for UPS to add a couple of things he wanted from his room here at home and ship it to North Carolina.   But I think for personal reasons that small business was closed on Saturday.  So I go back Monday and get the packaged shipped.  They give me a delivery date of today (Wednesday).  Good because He is leaving NC Thursday evening to fly home.  He got permission to come home over the 4 day weekend without having to use any of his leave days.

So yesterday I check tracking on the package and it isn't scheduled to be delivered until end of day Thursday.  Oh oh, causes a problem because he is leaving the base more than likely before UPS's end of day.(if they are like here their end of day might be who knows when we get deliveries quite late in the evening here).

So I try to figure out what can be done.  First the UPS website tells me to get in touch with the shipper here in town.  They tell me they can't do anything without additional charges of almost half of what I originally paid.  So I find a customer service phone number for UPS.  Stupid automated phone system with not prompted option to talk to a person.  Go through it twice without finding an option to address changing the delivery date like I want.  Get frustrated and finally say "I would like to talk to a person".  And low and behold I get a person.  Could have knocked me over with a feather.  Course they were foreign with a heavy accent that was hard to understand, but I got the solution I wanted and the package won't be delivered until my son is back in North Carolina and no additional charges.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: something finally went the way I wanted

Glad something worked in your favor and hopefully you get to spend some quality time with your son while he is home as well.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

So happy for you to get to have your son home for this holiday weekend!  Enjoy every second of his visit. 

Glad you could stop his package, so it didn't get misplaced at the base.   

Please tell him I said, "Welcome to North Carolina!", as well as, "Thank you for your service to our country."

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sounds like your patience & persistence paid off.  It can be so trying to work with these recordings.  Give son a salute from we in IL. and thanks for his service.  BTW, if he ever gets back to San Diego my brother works for the Navy on the base.  Enjoy having him home.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately

apparently UPS customer service isn't as fast as their delivery service.  Package didn't get caught and is being delivered today despite my good efforts yesterday at least according to the tracking info.

Son said he'd handle it.  Well he is a Marine, guess he should be able to deal with a piddling detail like this.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Unfortunately

That's too bad.  But you're right about DS being able to handle it.  Sometimes we forget they're grown up adults & can probably handle these things better than we can & with less frustration.  Forget your troubles with the dairy & everything else & enjoy him.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

As long as no one smells homemade cookies inside the package, you may be okay. Some of my younger friends are Marines, too...they are a pretty tough bunch!
0 Kudos