cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

speaking of spices & ingredients

Have you ever seen a recipe you wanted to try but was missing a key ingredient?  One that supposedly made the recipe unique?  But you can't find it in the local area.  Then you come across it, finally, but not only cannot find the recipe but don't have a clue what it even was?  That's me.  Have two ingredients in the pantry now that I sure hope I can use eventually.  Maybe I should just put them in the ingredient search at All Recipes.  LOL

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: speaking of spices & ingredients

That can be frustrating, not to mention quite expensive. Spices are exorbitant in the small jars, which is why we buy what we can at Sam's, and rely on some of the blends, like Asian, Italian, etc., so as to gave the general flavor palette without so many different ones sitting around for a trial recipe.

One of the cookbooks I am into now says to make the recipe even of you don't like a certain spice, or just don't have it, to see if you like the general idea of the recipe. Makes sense to me, as does tweaking a recipe with something extra, if it is something we know we really like.

I have done exactly what you describe more than I like to think, especially as a fledgling homemaker. I had no idea what to do, so thought it required going overboard to make unusual things to a T. Now, I kind of know what goes with what, as well as what doesn't. We like certain flavors much more than others.

Our meals get simpler and simpler with time. We think they also taste better and better. They are certainly much healthier now than before.

Organizing my spices and herbs yesterday let me know what I actually had, and a handful I needed. Going to probably fill that list tomorrow, if the doctor's appointment doesn't take too long.

Surfing amazon tonight, I came across coconut butter, which is a spread made from coconut, used like peanut butter. I love coconut, which plays a big role in Paleo eating. My pizza crust tonight was a Paleo wrap made of coconut, made more savory with tumeric. It is also my burrito wrap, and I may give it a whirl with a chili dog soon!

Looking at Sunbutter, too...made from sunflowers...sounds good!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This is the story of my kitchen.  I also buy things thinking "I'll make that for dinner tomorrow night" and then tomorrow night comes and something unexpected pops up so it never gets made.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What I really hate is finding a recipe I have to look up what an ingredient even is.  Happens alot, probably because I really hate to cook.  Nothing ever turns out the way I think it should.  Cooking lessons would probably be a good idea but I still don't think I would ever like cooking.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

That's happened to me a couple of times in getting into the Paleo cookbooks.  I knew what "ghee" was, but had no idea where else buy amazon to get it around us.  Is is clarified butter, in a jar, Can take very high heat, compared to butter itself.

Coconut aminos had me stumped...then, I read a few amazon reviews and some informational mateiral on the products they offer, and it turns out that since legumes like soybeans aren't on Paleo plans, you use this like soy sauce.  It is fermented, like soy sauce, and looks the same.  I will be finishing up the soy we have on hand, before switching to the bottes of coconut aminos I ordered.

The no legumes hing rules out peanut and peanut butter, but I found out sunflower butter is a substitute.  COconut butter is also suppsed to be good, so I am trying some of each.  Arrowroot powder for thickening sauces and gravy...on order. 

Keep in mind that I stock two kitchens at one time - actually, it's three when you count Mike's woodstove and work area, and he keeps his own supplies handy to save steps.  We will be phasing in and out a lot fo stuff this fall!

0 Kudos