cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

stove update

You might remember my dilemma about my stove-should I fix it or buy new.  Well, I had it fixed so I thought.  Against DH's advise to buy a new one.  Since the rest of it works well, why should I, right?  Well it worked when repairman was here but 2 days later nothing.  Called him again and he found a wire had come loose.  Apologized, fixed it, - it worked- and 2 days later I turned it on-nada.  Called & he came one more time (free of charge of course) and found it was in the electric control panel.  another $200 for the part.  Nope, had enough.  But I have really not had time to get serious about a new one.  It's on my to do list for the week.  DH thinks I should buy one I barely looked at and of course I am not wired that way.  I like to look & research even though I may buy that very first one.  Then I am satisfied with my choice.

So, do your research or jump right in? 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: stove update

I am not a shopper so I usually go with instinct. I usually workks out okay. Sometimes I will spend a little more time.

0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

I go with instinct and what they have in stock or can get by the time I want it.   Washing machines:  I want  large capapcity, heavy duty with the fewest bells and whistles. 

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Since we are going to be buying new appliances in a few months I've been looking and researching and so far I haven't found anything that doesn't meet my criteria.  LOL  I'm no help I know. All I know is I do not want stainless steel.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Why not stainless steel?  I'm also in a quandary about the color. I want gas, what I've had since we moved to the country.  I know I really don't need to be concerned about power outage since we now have a generator, but that is what I've been used to for a long time. 

Anyway, I really do not like the looks of the white gas stoves.  The ones I've seen look cheap next to the stainless steel.  There is also a new charcoal color.  Would be concerned that color might be hard to keep streaks off. But I have everything white-even a white over the stove microwave and the fridge sits close by also.  I'm holding my breath on that one.  Have seen some moisture on the lower freezer door left from the upper fridge door.  Need to get on this even though I can get by with the upper oven during the summer.  Too hot to do a lot of baking.  (no central air here - another battle between DH & I)

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

STainless shows every fingerprint.  In addition, to me it screams "hog feeder!"

Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I sit with the Lowe's website, and usually look at sale items, clearances, etc., first.  That saved me 35% on the last washer/dryer we bought...or, whatever the final percentage was between $584 each, and $799 each. 

I compare specs, sizes, stuff like the swing of a refrigerator door ( last one needed to be a bit different, because of adjacent cabinet).  We tend to stick with mid-line appliances, not the cheapest, not the priciest. 

After trying many brands of dishwashers over the decades, I will ALWAYS buy a Bosch from here on out.  It has leak detection, and will not run if there is water leaving the enclosure.  Dishwashers can have "silent" leaks that can really ruin floors, even structurally. 

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Lowes must be the lowest price because the one store I've look at matches the lowest price and Lowes was it.  Guess I need to check out the website. 

Your right on the stainless steel I suppose.  Have always steered clear of it in preference to white but I've had such a time keeping that white stove top clean of burnt on stuff without scratching it.  Impossible.  And the stove grates are much flimsier on the white in comparison.  Don't know why other than they probably aren't selling as well so don't offer as much in white.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

My guess is that you are looking at a more basic model in white, which tends to be the 'rental house' color and level of appliance bought...believe me, I know.  Ask to see upgraded models. 

That is where the websites can some in handy, too. Often, a model in stainless on display is available from a distribution center (at Lowe's at least) in less than a week. 

I suggest that you talk with an associate who knows their stock well...almost every level of model comes in stainless, black, that new charcoal is coming on strong now ( I think because it shows less than black) , and what I call "white on white", which means white handlles and knobs, instead of black or silver ones.  I use white on white in both of our kitchens.  Clean and easy to remember what I want when a replacement is due. 

If I had a dream kitchen, I'd have a nice Viking gas cooktop.  Ovens, no more than I bake or roast, are not that big a deal to me. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I agree with Kay. Stay away from the models they stock for rentals. You do not want to go throght this again in five years. I believe they will order the model you want. Ask about the quaility they are good about telling us if we ask.

0 Kudos