cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: stove update

Stopped at another appliance store to get out of the rain today.  Actually, I am looking at one of the higher end models.  Still considering the SS but it doesn't actually show as such.  The stainless frames the oven windows which have a slate frame and the cooktop is also the slate color.  5 burner, with a removable griddle in the center.  DH was with and we just do not care for the white.  Can be ordered with convection in the lower oven which that model has a heavier griddle.  Can get in slate (no convection) or the Stainless S.  I know there are more fingerprints on that.  Still mulling over.  But any other appliance can go with either SS or slate.

The new appliance "tricks" are certainly interesting.  Saw a Samsung double oven with one door that hinges for opening the top oven or using the whole door to open the bottom.  Looks like trouble to me. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Maybe it was turning sixty, but since last June, anything we have bought or considered buying always brings up the " how will we handle this as we get less able" question. Some of the heaviest cast iron pots will not stay with us if our arms get weaker, for sure.

I think that is a reasonable consideration, with a purchase that could last a decade or more.
0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

On the stainless steel....I just don't like the looks of it plus with the dogs it will show EVERY nose print or human print and I just don't want to have to clean that often.  To me it's too "modern" and I really just don't like the look...the same goes for countertops and granite.  I just don't like the look of granite so we will not be going that route in the new house.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

.Still stymied.  Know the issues of stainless steel although as stated this is a mix of the slate & the stainless.  When I have to switch out the fridge or the dishwasher I'll have to make the decision of slate or stainless if I choose this.  Wish the white gas models had a slate or some other top.  The drip area of it just gets a mess with burnt on stuff and it's hard to remove without scratching the surface. 

I would hate to build from scratch & have to make decisions like you manure seller. 

Right now I'm tired for some reason and trying to deep clean the kitchen & 1 bedroom.  DH wants me to go uptown for lunch.  Mom wants me to come visit with cousins that called & are coming to see her.  I am about ready to call in a house cleaner.  I never have a day to work here. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Linda, I don't know if it matters all that much that all your appliances match. I remember when Harvest Gold and Avocado Green mingled together in many kitchens ( glad those days are over!)

The slate is a neutral, has a stailess but mostly glass front. Many kitchens now are featuring more of a " professional" range and ovens. I guess it boils down to whether it is more important to match appearances, or enjoy the functionality of the one you like better.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

Don't ask me.   I've made all the kitchen appliance decisions  I should want to make for a long time.  Get what you want.   The rest can come later. 

manureseller
Senior Contributor

So do it Linda!  Call in a house cleaner and be done with it.  Less stress for you and you'll be happier and able to focus on other issues.  I can tell you that when we get ours built I am hiring someone to clean every couple of weeks because I shouldn't have to spend my weekends cleaning like I do now.  Todd was bucking me on it until I nicely explained that he doesn't help so he can shut it.  LOL  I would LOVE a commercial oven/cooktop and would be able to live with the SS if I could get one.  Smiley Very Happy 

Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

We were in Lowe's for lumber and stuff for the greenhouse today, and I stepped back to see of my friend, Paul, was working. I had a book to guve him, and he runs appliances there. Saw a gorgeous Samsung with gas cooktop, looked like stainless glass front ( big glass, sort of framed with stainless) and what looked like a black cooktop surface paint. Really nice, and about $400 off...but, no griddle, I don't think.

I have to stay out of there...I am envious!

0 Kudos