cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

'telling our story'

We attended our state Farm Bureau Spring Conference this past week-end and much of it was concerning how farmers and ranchers need to tell their story. We are three generations removed from the land and farming. It is now beyond chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

Milk now comes from Wal Mart.

There is no need to be killing wild animals when you can get your meat at the supermarket that gets it from the factory.

A woman with a farm stand told how she got a call in Jan. when there was lots of snow on the ground. The caller ask if she had sweet corn for sale. After telling her no, she asked why she was interested. The answer, I saw sweet corn in the supermarket and I thought you would have it cheaper.

But this one topped them all. The speaker told of being with a group traveling and one lady had told that she was a vegetarian. Later she was seen eating chicken wings. When asked about it, she replied that yes she was a vegetarian but wings were okay. The chickens would grow new wings.!

This speaker visiting a NY store watched as woman picked out organic pork chops priced at $14/lb. When asked why she had choose these, she replied that the most expensive ones must be better for her family.

The speakers family has a hog operation. The young daughter had a friend visiting their home. When she arrived, the girl asked excitedly to see the pigs. She went into the building and immediately began talking to these pigs. After a several minutes without any response from the pigs she asked why they were not talking back to her. She watches cartoons and other animated animals on tv, including commercials.

This tells everyone in agriculture that the public needs to be told about what we do and why. A huge task.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: 'telling our story'

Was Chris Chinn the speaker? It sounds like part of her presentation I've seen. She has a blog you can access -- it's http://chrischinn.wordpress.com/ -- where she's trying to tell her story. I am trying to tell mine too at http://jplovescotton.com

It takes time away from other interests, etc but I am blown away by the traffic I get from people searching for information on Google and Yahoo. And I wonder if they would find critics of our type of agriculture if people like us weren't telling our story. People at our schools, churches, etc also frequently don't understand agriculture. I get a lot of questions through Facebook friends now that I am so active telling my story. 

If anyone would like to join us in blogging, I'd be glad to provide some support. Once you start, it's as easy as posting here -- just is done with a different goal. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

One of reasons I signed up for facebook was so I could try and keep family and friends up with how things are down on the farm.    Although I had one 2nd cousin I had to defriend.... the language she used was unbearable.   I probably drive them crazy "liking"   links from Humane Watch that point out just exactly what the Humane Society of the United States  really is. 

My daughter has started a blog too.  www.mycowsandpigs.blogspot.com/    

We can no longer assume that even our own friends and relatives understand what we do.  

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I'll have to get this blog added to the list I have! It's gotten so long that I try to break it out to show different groups, etc. You can see it at http://jplovescotton.com/blogs-i-read/

I don't know if you've thought about making a farm page on Facebook -- setting it up as a local business, but they are fairly easy to keep up to date and also provides some searchability. And personally, it lets you provide your story more broadly as you don't have to decide who you trust to see personal family photos & updates. And your daughter's blog could feed directly into there which is helpful in getting new people to see it! 

I love seeing people motivated to tell their story! 

0 Kudos