cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

training & more

Really sick today.  Hard to describe other than my sinuses are so swollen as well as those in the back of my head & eyes itchy & swollen.  Thankfully my appointment for ENT is next Wed.  while aways off I was grateful it wasn't longer.  Took the medication from last week that dr. said was up to me.   A predisone so I'll probably be "wide eyed".

Grandaughter's Ipod bit the dust so she was begging for some work to earn money for.  Had her help clean some of my kitchen cabinets.  Those lower ones are killers for me-up & down.  Worked well with me organizing & handing her clean rag.  I have several roll out shelves & it's amazing & scary what you find when you pull them all the way out & clean.  Then on to the vacuuming, which isn't a favorite of hers.  I reminded her that when you do a job for money we all have jobs to do we aren't wild about.  She's doing better but whizzes through the vacuuming, not pulling out chairs, etc.  But she's getting better & we have fun with me patroling her & teasing her about missed sock fuzz, etc.  Hoping to get her on a regular basis to train her.  She flies way too fast.  She did make Grandpa cookies completely on her own. 

This was a topic of a friend of mine the other day.  She is trying to get her grandson to do the mowing as her daughter has early MS and it takes a toll on her.  The new house they have has a smaller, easier yard so should work.

I don't know about anyone elses area, but around here kids just don't work menial jobs.  I don't know how these parents do it.  Same friend works at a little local quick stop restaurant near the H.S. and she says these kids come in day after day after school with a $20 bill.  She had 5 kids-that would have been $100 a day!  I think kids should enjoy their childhood but a little work builds character in my book.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: training & more

Funny you bring this up today. I just joked with SIL, that if the wildlife/ bird preserve works out on ,y farm, Winn could grow birds for release there.

They are starting 150 ring-necked pheasant, just for fun, this spring, using a small greenhouse frame I have sitting idle, and some leftover bird netting we bought for over the swimming pool, to keep leaves out. This would be an ideal " first business" for a young kid, raising a few batches of birds in summertime, for fall hunting.

We tried to give our kids paid work, in addition to their household and yard chores. They all know how to work hard.

I don't get where all that ready cash comes from either....might be more to that story!
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I have recently notice the same thing. A senior boy and girlfriend exiting a restrautant after school and I have learned that ball players drive to the neighboring town after practice. Not a good bases for learning to handle money.

I am trying the same thing with my GD teaching her as we go to cook and do some cleaning and using the mower.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I just think too many families have opted for earning/ spending more money, than for teaching self -reliance. It may make some sense, but I always tell ours that we can dig into a hole and pull the hole in behind us, if times get tight.

Granted, I enjoy being able to stop for a pizza without having to worry about what it costs. I like hitting the button fir a book on amazon, without thinking of what I am giving up for that. I just don't get the idea of buying on time, things that are essentially toys, and not having a paid-for pillow to rest peacefully upon at night.

Paying off a loan is such a liberating feeling for me...once this place was paid off, I told Mike I would do without something, to prevent having to borrow again.

I have a hard time giving the kids any financial counsel, though. With savings paying essentially no interest now, it is hard to say, " Save for a rainy day", and see it as any better than a coffee can buried in the backyard.
0 Kudos

I consulted a 7 grade girl's stepmom if she thought her daughter would be any good at cleaning a house up,  IF she was getting paid.   The house next door is just  one big dusty place.    Carpet layers are due the 4th.    Kitchen will take 8 hours  of work to get it clean enough to prepare food in again.  

Stepmom wasn't too sure she do a good job.   I'm wanting someone younger to go up and down, and up and down the stairs and help deal with cleaning the lower cabinets.  

It's really a waste of time since  we will tear out the kitchen in December.   However,   It means we keep the family in the mode to visit the farm.   Got to try and keep them connected to the farm.  

Probably 1 of the last 5 boys who worked her had ever washed and waxed a vehicle.    No idea of how to do either job. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

A girl that age might be too young. Here we try to hire Amish or Menmonite women who are well worth what they charge.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It is sort of ironic that you have to tely on women who atebadically separated from the greater American culture to vlean house, isn't it? Here, it used to be African -American women, now more Hispanics, that gravitate into this work.

There are some women here in our area who clean cottages at the beach for good money. They drive a couple of hours one way, knock out several between tourist groups, then come home. Making enough cleaning, to justify a couple of hundred miles round trip, amazes me.

I am really thinking about hiring help again, at least for a while, until I feel better all over. I perk up for a few days then hit a wall again. Hoping the weather will finally break, and some fresh air will be restorative.
0 Kudos

I really think that a 13 year old girl could clean with supervision.   Drag stuff up and down stairs,   Drag out the pots and pans,   Help me rehang curtains,  make all the beds (9).  Move some furniture around for vacumming and rearranging of furniture.    If she can get any dust or dirt it is some.     I'm not afraid to point to dust she missed.    Besides,  if I have someone with me  it will encourage me to keep going too.    Sometimes,  SOME kids have pride not to be outworked by an old gray haired lady. 

We are working on trim/woodwork now.   Carpet is suppose to come next Friday. 

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I can vouch that even my 12 yr old granddaughter's help yesterday though might not have been perfect was better than none.  Yes I have to do some constructive criticism but two extra hands and a set of young legs are valuable.  And things I want done " my way" get done.  And it was so nice to walk into a nice clean house today.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

There can be a very big difference between working a child in your own family, and someone else's egg, too.

Some parents do not want their children to work at all, because it may interfere with their schoolwork and activities. Others may think it reflects on them, that they might be perceived as needing their kids to work. I think others are ashamed of not having taught their kids any useful skills. Perhaps?

My father wouldn't let me work for anyone else, but that was because I was almost a man, without him having to write the paycheck.
0 Kudos