cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

tried something new for me

So I tried something new for me.  Bought a self-help book.  Very interesting.  It was for stopping smoking whicch I really need to do.

I almost died laughin when the premise of the book was to treat quitting this particular bad habit the way most people would treat another huge problem I have in my life that I haven't conquered nor handled like a rational woman would in a very long time.

Working in my mind today on how to intermingel the two problems.

This board isn't the right place though. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: tried something new for me

I do hope you find what will work for you. These books are big sellers so the help must work for a lot of people. Sometimes we need advice from professionals and strangers.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Good Luck!  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Good Luck with substituting one habit for another...hopefully a good habit!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Not sure about the second problem, but quitting smoking is very tough.

The thing that helped me most was simply going cold turkey, using the patches. I would put on the fresh one after my shower every night. That way, there was enough nicotine in my system to help me avoid the first one with my cup of coffee every morning.

The patches ised to come in various strengths, so you could step down on the dependence. I have since read that smoking causes you to do slow, deeper breathing, as you inhale. That is what relaxes you about a cogarette, since nicotine is a stimulant.

My bad one is biting my nails. Oddly, it goes along with eating too many carbohydrates. When I go low-carb, no nibbling...go figure that one....

0 Kudos
Advisor

Best of luck in your endeavor.    Hope you can do it.   My mom quit cold turkey  about a year after my dad died.    She was in her 70's.    She took up the habit in college.     We had a puppy we named Smokey  and we encouraged him to chew up our parent's cigs.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Nicotine is extremely poisonous...I hope ol' Smokey survived!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Different strokes for different folks.  My dad tried to stop all his adult life.  Even tried hypnosis.  Finally kicked it with the patches.  Too late I'm afraid.  He was smokeless for 10 yrs. but still got lung cancer.  Now my father in law's friend waved a $100 bill under his nose with the promise if he quit, he got to keep it.  Right that minute, he was done.  Really wanted that money!  LOL 

Good luck, with whatever helps you. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

None of the rest of you folks were ever tibacco farmers, I guess. We raised it until the eighties. It was a crucial cash crop in Virginia and Carolina. I never judged it as right or wrong, it just was a fact of life, and a culutral institution.

Had a Sunday School teacher tell me when I was nine that my father would go to Hell for raising it. I worked daily, from early July until school started afterLabor Day, in it, too. Figured i was doomed, too.

We did it much like the Amish when I was young, mechanized and got dependent upon chemical controls foribsects and suckers, as I grew up. I have often thought a little natural tobacco wasn't so bad...it was everything sprayed on it that killed smokers.

Ironically, marijuana is shown to cure or at least inhibit cancer,in research done outside the US. I think we control the wrong substances, really.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Nope never raised it.   We have concentrated on:   King Corn,  and red meat.     So we are of course doomed too.  

0 Kudos