Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Advisor

Re: Coffee makers

The most important part is the coffee you buy and not the machine. almost anything will make decent coffee when you put good stuff in it. good luck.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I looked at this gadget and read the FAQ. From the photos, I couldn't see how the water was being heated. Turns out you have to hit an " ideal 175 degrees" for it to work best. Also, it uses paper filters that have be bought on a ongoing basis, and your grinder or purchased grind has to be just right. Unless you already have and use a grinder, you will probably need to buy one, or buy overpriced coffee to ah eit specially ground to the specs for the filter. Frankly, It sound a like a lot of trouble to me...a lot of different variables, all of which you have to get just right. If you want to press coffee, which some people do, heat your kettle and buy a Bodum press at Target or on amazon. I got Mike one for our RV, with a plastic body,Mao it endures the shaking of a rough road. Keurig is taking the world by storm because the pods are very varied, and so convenient. You can do a cup of coffee and someone else can have tea or hot cider. Different people can have different coffee blends, so overall, it allows for more choice. I call this the" Starbucks Effect". Coffee used to be sort of ubiquitous...now, it is individualized to each drinker's taste. ( BTW! Starbucks basic coffee tastes quite burnt to most people, since it has all those added syrups and milks in most servings, it provides the bitter undertone taste.) As for this Aeropress, I woidl suggest that you carefully read the FAQ on the site, and reviews if there are any on amazon. We use a Nespresso machine by Citiz, which was about $350...very cheap for an espresso maker. The pods are about 55 cents each. The Nestle company makes good coffee, and we both enjoy getting our caffeine in a smaller serving. I never drank more than a half- cup of regular coffee, but have 2-4 shots each morning, depending upon how long I have to hang around the house, and how much of a jolt I want that day. The only place you can get pods is online, unless you happen to live in NYC, where they have a cool store. I buy a big box of pods every couple of months. it is not a small purchase, but we consider it a small luxury. Keurig is available everywhere, for a few cents more per pod, I think. I do not like having to get a lot of detailed operations right when I am waking up on the morning, so this Aeropress wouldn't be my cup of tea....
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Quite true. aLso, having the right grind for the method used tio brew has a great bearing on how the coffee turns out. Too fine for the machine or filters, and you beta lot of dregs and bitterness. Not fine enough, and you basically end up with brown water. Cost of the makers only one thing to look at....ongoing coat of the coffee itself is the greater variable, if you are concerned about the price of your daily cup. O' Joe.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am also looking for a new coffee maker since mine quit. I only need a small one but they all seem to be 12 cup models.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I got a Cuisenart on sale & then used a coupon also.  I'm the only one drinking coffee daily here and make 4 c. which actually isn't 4 c.-more like 3 to me although it will do 10 or 12 for company.  It has a mesh filter you can use without a paper filter (never tried but nice in case I run out) plus it has a charcoal filter for the water.  It makes good coffee even with the Folgers.  I use better coffees for a treat but daily it will do and I am picky.  I think another issue is your water.  I can tell when a restaurant has good water according to their coffee.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You are right about the water...I have a hard time drinking public water supplies that have been chlorinated.  If I have to drink water out, I ask for lots of lemon to help offset or mask the chlorine taste. 

We filter our drinking water through a Black Berkey.  It is a very aggressive filter for a reasonable price.  That filtered water goes into our teapots and Nespresso machine.  I think it helps avoid too much mineral scale buildup. 

I don't like the paper filters, unless they are the brown ones...I think they bleach the white ones with stuff I don't want to drink. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You will be dealing with grounds, no matter what you use, unless you elect a pod machine, like Nespresso or Keurig.  Grounds are good added to the compost pile, so it you like to rot stuff, that is a plus. 

Since you are thinking about grinding, why not see which grinder the Aeropress people recommend?  Again, a lot about that in the FAQ. 

Also, I will warn you: If anyone likes to sleep in, your grinder will get cursed at a lot.  I have never seen a quiet one. 

I never realized how neat espresso is, until we started drinkign it at the home of some friends,  both of whom are Italian.  The steaming process of the machine forces a sort of foamy froth  to form , which he Italians call crema.  It floats to the top of the tiny cups, and tastes like what I think coffee must taste like in Heaven. 

Enjoy whatever you decide...I'd like to hear back what you do and how you like it.  Coffee isn't a need, so we tend to treat it like a small luxury: Buy excellent quality, prepared it as easily as we can. 

0 Kudos