cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

unsettling phone calls

Received two phone calls this morning asking if things were OK from two separate friends.  After answering "yes" I was told that there had been a tractor rollover last night and the farmer was killed.  His name was the same as my husbands and of course even at the coffee shop 35 miles away, they said he used to dairy with his son wife and lived north of Sheffield. 

I know it wasn't my "Ronnie" and I know there used to be a couple other guys with the same name years & years ago, but thought they had moved out of the area.  Anyway, sure brings you up short to get those calls. At one time he got several graduation cards which I automacally opened, with $$ falling out.  Wonder if we will get sympathy cards, sure hope not.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: unsettling phone calls

That would be unsettling. We just heard of a man who what killed when his zero turn mower turned over.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Linda, sometimes names that similar can cause quite a confusion.  I hope friends and family get it straight, but if not, beready to give them a happy surprise. 

It could be worse...Mike's name is almost identical to his paternal grandfather, and his youngest uncle on that side.  That was the one arrested for child molestation, who spent time in the penitentiary.  Galls my husband to have anyone think they are even kin, much less the same person....

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

not the same thing at all because it certainly isn't upsetting but our land line number is 1 digit off from a local veterinary clinic and we occasionally get calls for them.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

We used to get faxes with people's health information all the time...too close to the Health Department's fax number, I guess. So much for privacy....
0 Kudos
wt51015
Senior Contributor

It could be worse. Have heard of one person moving into the house that was owned by a person with same name. How is a carrier supposed to forward or deliver mail in that case?

Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Physical mail delivery is only one issue with similar/ identical names. With online profiles,FB pages, eyc., you can really see how many people share names now...sort of sobering. I am just hoping everyone with " my" name keeps their bills paid, and steers between the white lines.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The calls that really disturb me the most are when some company or scammer picks up our second number, which was Jenna's line for the Intermet originally, as we couldn't have her dialup blocking up our line in case of alarm calls. i kept it as a fax line. It's now a second number voicebox on a single line.

A few months ago, some scammer called and started asking for Jenna by name, and rambling on through his script. I broke down and started sobbing...gave him an earful about how calling my dead child was very hurtful to me, to please get her name and that nimber off of their list, because it is very upsetting to have someone call and ask for her. To his credit, he was very apologetic.

I guess we have no idea how long our names and identifying linger on behind us. We on,y a couple of years ago realized that Mike's Daddy, who died in 1995, still receives one farming newsletter here at this address. I hide it when I find it, because that upsets Mike.
Need to call them and ask them to stop it....

0 Kudos