cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

update

Don't remember what I posted lately about everything here.  Company came & left.  Worked out OK other than w/my family it was 16-17 people to feed.  some came earlier than expected so I had no preparation for food.

We went to Chicago for Brian's checkup yesterday.  After much chewing on it, we again took the train but learned my lesson to book ahead-much costlier at the last minute.  The train was packed, but somehow one extra seat by Brian so he was comfortable. 

Felt the medical appointments were somewhat worthless.  The surgeon was impressed with his scar healing so really well.  Can't even pick it out.  But the faxes from Peoria stating the original medications for chemo & the radiation were not there.  Wish they would have called me ahead.  So we didn't get a lot out of the oncology appointment other than to agree to proceed in Peoria for that.  However, the radiologist said he should be starting his treatment immediately (30 days after surgery) and we have no plan yet.

Last night I could not sleep.  Last check of the clock was 2:45 and I was awake at 6 so today I was jittery & near tears.  Another run in with mom didn't help.  Told her she was going to have to pay someone to help her with her errands, etc. as radiation trips will tie me up, or else she could move to AL.   An eye opener for her.

Started with phone calls to Peoria who said they faxed info on 7/16 but couldn't tell me the fax # they used.  Then started with surgeons staff to pin it down, no, then radiaology, no, and back to another # in Peoria.  Love waiting for the phone to ring and the whole thing is like dominos falling.  Last nurse in Peoria was my key.  Gave her all the numbers for nurses & faxes and she called at 5 p.m. giving me August 11 appointment.  Wish sooner but. . She had talked to all nurses involved and they will get info sent.  My one concern is that Peoria will take Chicago doctors' advise on treatment.  That's why we went there.  One day at a time.  Now if someone can get that da## $2670 bill to go through the insurance I will know my angel is really on my shoulder.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: update

Sounds like progress. You made it through the family visits and you can make it through the coming weeks.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Whew! Your life sounds exhausting, Linda.

Glad the guests made their rounds, and you are setting your Mom's exkectations straight. Your son's health has to come first.

Busy weeks ahead. Hope you catch some rest tonight.
0 Kudos
Advisor

All I can say is,  "I'm praying for your family".   You and Brian have been in my prayers.  So sorry you have to go through ALL of this.   But,  way to stand up to your Mom!  

Advisor

My best wishes to you. I and probably most others have no idea what family go thru when dealing with these types of medical issues until they go thru it themselves.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Having issues with my back - cancelled chiro last Friday as I HAD to get Brian in somewhere for radiation appointment.

Will be sure to go on Monday unless I have a miraculous healing. 

Had lots to do here yesterday but a friend called to go to lunch at a little touristy area near us, so I went.  Enjoyed to a point where we were admiring beautiful gardens & yards and I thought of what I left at home.  Ready to get back sooner than she so the last of our trip I didn't enjoy.  Like you have a time clock where you can enjoy so much then back to reality.  Anyone else like that?  got a bit done after I got home and just came in from weed eating (those little batteries don't last long).  I have a lot to do before company comes Thursday.

Do you ever just look at your house/yard after you have been complacent and see it in someone elses eyes?  Need a refresher here.  Yesterday we couldn't get over how much fall decorations were out already although the garden spiders are bad here signaling fall is coming.  And it's so dry.  Cannot get hoses out to all my gardens unfortunately.  Never fails that I don't get those sprinkling hoses laid out and now it's so dry. 

I am really tired of seeing other's vacation pictures on Facebook, etc.  Really thought this year would be the year we would get a nice trip.  We are taking trips but not anywhere other than medical appointments right now.  Really should not grumble, especially when you see the patients we have, with really serious health issues.  God forgive me.  I will pray for all those this morning at church.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Glad you got a break, even a short one.  Yes, I know exactly what you mean about taking a tour like that...always makes me realize what is to do at home, too.  

Itry to get toe Monticello ever few years, just to enjoy the gardens.  I have to remind myself that Jefferson was brilliant, had tons of slaves to do all the yard and gardens, household, and farming, etc.. and as smart as he was, died broke.  Here we are trying to do it all on our own, with a couple of employees. 

Glad you got Brian in for his treatment.  I know that was weighing on you, waiting until the 11th.  He has a great advocate in you.

The spiders! You are right...walking into webs everywhere, too.  I told Mike yesterday, I know it is really mid-summer by the calendar, but our meteorological summer is 2/3 spent now. 

The sunlight is strong, but angled differently...grasses and wildflowers seeding out...just another year coming to a close. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Summer does seem to be rapidly coming to a close this year. It is very dry here with brown grass and the soybeans are showing it too. The rain did not want to stop for weeks and of course now the opposite. A terrible year for the garden. Rain in the area missed us this week.

Linda I know what you mean about enjoying time away and then the clock in your head says that is enough of that.  It is time to get to work again.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The rains have been skirting us in VA, and after a slug of N in thise biosolids last month, that is worrisome. Mike is baling hay like the Mad Hatter around the plave in NC, but I am hoping we can ritate and keep grazing up there, as soon as the 30- day withdrawal is done. Will not happen without some decent precipitation.

He eants to haul yesterday's bales to VA today. Makes fir a bit slower ride, but I am already planning the cheese and charcuterie supper, so five minutes to be ready to eat, whenever we arrive.

Anyine else having trouble getting to sleep? Seeing a lot of FB friends complaining of that...I got into youtube videos about 9/11 last night. That will keep you awake....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Kinda  know what you mean Linda.  Retirement (selling the farm) isn't cracking up to what I thought.  Fortunately we are not dealing with any serious health issues like your family.  I pray all goes really well for your son and that you survive all the turmoil and glitches and whatever.

As far as vacation or getting away, seems like it is harder for me now than ever.  We did have a wonderful 5 days away using the trip to Mackinaw Island the kids gave us for an Xmas present, but it did come with a price.

The employee they chose to do my calf care while I was gone didn't do the best of jobs.  They had a calf get sick while I was gone and son and veterinarian kind of laid it on her doing things just a little bit different than I do.  Actually she and her little changes didn't have anything to do with it because I had one do the same thing for me day after I got home.  Course I pay a little more attention and caught it sooner, but then I was looking for it because they had the sick one while I was gone.,  So anyway the out take now is NO ONE BUT ME CAN DO CALF CHORES.

So this Thursday hubby and I want to get down state for a family funeral  and I will be getting up in the middle of the night to do chores before we leave for the almost 3 hour drive to make pre service visitation by 10 in the morning.  Then we'll dash to see his mom in rehab (don't have any idea if she'll be to the funeral, most likely not).  Then we will make the drive back home so calf chores only have to be covered Thursday evening.

I'm just kind of conflicted and probably more than a little angry about the whole deal.

Didn't help that dil put a picture on FB of her and her mom relaxing floating on a lake at just about the same time I was hauling hay bales with son and getting a discourse on what a bad mother I was as my kids were growing up.

I had told myself when the decision was made to sell the farm to son that I wouldn't sacrifice and work has hard to make his dream come to fruition like I did to make my husband's dream come to fruition.  But seems to me I'm making similar commitment and effort that I told myself needed to be up to his wife not me.

Oh well I guess some female should kind of get what she wants out of the deal.

Well enough ranting I gotta go get some TMR for calves I'm weaning.  Yes  I was only suppose to have calves a week or less but plans change and now I'm growing 10 or so a month.

0 Kudos