cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

what a day this is turning into

started my day with a text from one of my daughters saying nothing but "where's Alex".  This is as I'm just getting up and getting on the computer and as it slowly comes up first thing I see is story about missing Marines.  Thus her question.  Well; quickly determined it couldn't be him and called her to let her know.  She had caught just a little of the story and heard Camp Lejeune.  He's by camp Lejeune at New River and definitely not special ops.

Now we are installing the new bigger bulk tank.  It has been sitting in the back yard for about 2 weeks waiting for the weather to warm up.

They cut the wall yesterday and made the cubby up into the attic to accommodate the additional height.

So now they have removed the old one this morning and are currently placing the new one.

I was watching from the safety of the porch but found I just couldn't take it.  So much money and such a big problem if it doesn't go right.

Not exactly sure what production is right now, I know it's down from what it should be, but if afternoon milking doesn't completely fit into the other tank they have about 3 hours to get this tank up and functioning.  The coop's guy is sitting in the driveway waiting to calibrate the tank once they get it set.  But I'm pretty sure they get the whole second milking into the other tank.

Lots of tension but so looking forward to hubby and son not having to transfer milk anymore.  It has made for long days.  Son has been transferring at 5 in the mornings and then hubby transfers about 7 in the evening.  None of that any more.  Yeah!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: what a day this is turning into

I hope the move went smoothly. We had a lot in common today...our boiler was delivered, and Mike was using the new tractor and loader to move the older, smaller aside. They actually got their donky-wheeled forklift to maneuver in our soggy yard, to set the new one in place....

So, you are watching $100,000 or so shifting around $17,000 worth of tin housings and steel tanks and electronics, and hoping the ground holds up. Thank goodness, it did.

Winn was here, helping me and PaPa all day. He jad a lot to say about the excitement of the equipment, and he dug the drainage ditch around my " washhouse" shop with Mike...he had told me on the way up he needed " some small tools", and fortunately. i have some here that suit him well.

On the way up this morning, I told him about the work I had planned for today, and he asked," You bring my Mickey gloves, MaMa?" He is serious sbout his chores....

Of course, I had packed them, his favorite lunch stuff, snacks, clean clothes to return him in. He loaded the front bucket of my tractor with paint buckets and cans from the garage, and he and PaPa drove them across to the shop.

He really worked hard...built a shelf with us, loaded and unloaded cans, and helped me lay a new braided rug and pad in the kitchen. I would havevgotten more done working on my own, but maybe teaching a kid to work is important enough, in and of itself, don't you think?

I wonder what non-farming families do to entertain their children....
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Brings back memories of the same situation at our farm.  Field man in the truck, milk just picked up to empty the old one, and the big production of it all.  Hope all went smoothly and production will be up.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

So glad your son is safe.  Makes your heart stop I'm sure.

0 Kudos